Columbus Park Redevelopment

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Columbus Park Redevelopment

Post by kboish »

Just passing on what i know...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

there's a sign for a new residential development in Columbus Park. It's right on 3rd St next to the former comedy city

the lot has been cleared of the building that was there
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://www.flyingember.com/kcrag/PCT_8580.JPG

here's an image of one of the signs for the the development. it's substantially larger than I expected.

I put full size up so you can zoom in and read all the text
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I went down part of Missouri Ave in Columbus Park today

this area around Missouri and Harrison is a great model for urban development. there's room for fill in but what's there is good

parking off alleys instead of lots at the street
small gaps between buildings to walk down
shops and homes mixed
entrances right on the sidewalk
nice green spaces behind homes for privacy
shops on the ground level
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Looks like ZimmerCos is the mgr on the project

http://www.zimmercos.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=270
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Lasala's Deli in Columbus Park has new ownership and a new name, The North End.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/04/18/41 ... il-19.html
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Good development news keeps rolling out in KC and especially DT...Finally moving forward with a small part of the 100 million development plan for the area
16-unit apartment building will be at Fourth and Holmes streets.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -100m.html

This initial phase is supposed to have two 16 unit building so I imagine if all goes well with the first building they'll pursue the second one shortly after.

I've also heard that as soon as they get a tenant for the retail space along 5th street it is still in the works. It would have 4-6 apartments on top similar to whats already built at 5th and charolotte
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

FangKC wrote:Lawyer seeks abatement to rehab Columbus Park building
Patrick Reaves’ law practice is based in the Livestock Exchange Building in Kansas City’s West Bottoms. It include one other lawyer and a paralegal.

He bought the building at 1050 E. 5th Street in the Columbus Park Urban Renewal Area in 2007. The building once had four stories, but is down to one story due to a fire that occurred before Reaves bought it.

“The building actually has a really rich history connected to organized crime,” Reaves said. “When you look at the list of owners, several were linked to organized crime.”
Many of you may not know this, but this building was the former Columbus Park Social Club--aka "The Trap," and was the epicenter of the Civella family crime syndicate for many years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... a=e_du_pub

also, work is currently under way on this building.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

kboish wrote:Good development news keeps rolling out in KC and especially DT...Finally moving forward with a small part of the 100 million development plan for the area
16-unit apartment building will be at Fourth and Holmes streets.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -100m.html

This initial phase is supposed to have two 16 unit building so I imagine if all goes well with the first building they'll pursue the second one shortly after.
With plans to 370 units. That would be a great boost for CP. I hope it doesn't turn out to look like tract housing as they add more buildings. Sometimes it works like great rowhouse infill I've seen in Cincy but if they cant pull that off, usually better to have a different design for every building to avoid looking like 'the projects'. Cincy rowhouse style would be a great fit for CP.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I linked an image in a post above that gives some idea. it looks like it's going to be similar to the homes to the south of 5th and Oak
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Here is a picture of the map for the site. The circle on the left is where the two 16 unit apartment buildings are going. The circle on the right is where they will do apartments of retail.

earthling wrote:With plans to 370 units. That would be a great boost for CP. I hope it doesn't turn out to look like tract housing as they add more buildings. Sometimes it works like great rowhouse infill I've seen in Cincy but if they cant pull that off, usually better to have a different design for every building to avoid looking like 'the projects'. Cincy rowhouse style would be a great fit for CP.
The rest of the 370 units is a long, long way from happening unfortunately. I'm sure it will change over time.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Drove through Columbus Park yesterday, noticed that Comedy City was being demolished. Not surprised, just curious if it will be turned into an empty lot for now, or if there are plans. I don't think this parcel is part of the master plan.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

if you look at the image right above, you can see it as the T building. would be really easy to add to the plan
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The developers had planned to rehab it and turn it into a business incubator, or something along those lines. This is the ONLY building inside the 20 acre development area they had planned to save. Original plans, approved by the neighborhood, included rehabbing the building at 4th and Cherry, which contains Pho KC. Somewhere along the way, that plan changed to demo. The Comedy City building was not part of the original plan, but the LCRA acquired the property after the redevelopment area's re-zoning to URD.
The building was blighted, as the entire redevelopment area was declared blighted.
They did a poor job of keeping the building secure. Bums moved in and the front part of the building, where the offices were, caught fire some time ago. While the damage was extensive in the front, it could have probably been saved and certainly the other 2/3 of the building was fine.
Most developers like to tear shit down, I suppose because they know exactly what it will cost to tear it down and new construction is easy to calculate. Those without balls or vision will always choose this path.
While that building was no architectural masterpiece, it was all that was left of the historical use of that area and the authority's decision to demo what was salvageable is a shame.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

The Pho KC building is called to be demolished? That is too bad. I hope the restaurant is at least moved into another location in the development...purely to fill my pho addiction.

I'm a little worried that this development is going to strip Columbus Park of any identity more than improve the neighborhood. These massive developments have a way of doing that. Quality Hill did a good job of improving the neighborhood, but to me, much of that has to do with merging the older mansions in with the new development. Columbus Park is apparently starting from scratch.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pho kc is north of 4th at Cherry.

it's in the white square with no plans
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I’ve been to LaSala’s a few times in the last couple of weeks. It’s renamed The North End, but still has the signage from LaSala’s. I talked to Pete Mesh, the owner, and he said the first thing he did was to throw out the microwaves and work up a fresh menu. The poor boy, rich boy sandwiches are still on the menu along with many other favorites, but he’s added a lot of new items. Everything my wife, friends, and I have tried has been excellent. He’s put in a new bar where the food counter used to be, and has a few nice draft beers and a fair selection of bottles. He is now open 7 days a week. For a young guy, he seems to have a lot going for him.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/11/21/46 ... on-on.html

Construction to begin soon on new Columbus Park development
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

finally!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

cknab1 wrote:I’ve been to LaSala’s a few times in the last couple of weeks. It’s renamed The North End, but still has the signage from LaSala’s. I talked to Pete Mesh, the owner, and he said the first thing he did was to throw out the microwaves and work up a fresh menu. The poor boy, rich boy sandwiches are still on the menu along with many other favorites, but he’s added a lot of new items. Everything my wife, friends, and I have tried has been excellent. He’s put in a new bar where the food counter used to be, and has a few nice draft beers and a fair selection of bottles. He is now open 7 days a week. For a young guy, he seems to have a lot going for him.
I went here for the 1st time this past weekend. I really like the remodeling they did in there. Nothing over the top, just some updating. I had their fried chicken special. I may be bias since I was starving at the time, but it was awesome. Everyone else was happy with their meals, but not blown away. Definitely nice to have a new spot for a beer in the hood. We will be back for sure.