Downtown Lawrence

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Downtown Lawrence

Post by kcmajik »

i have never been to lawrence in my whole life and i was there valentine's night. i thought it was pretty neat how they have really tried to keep it original and even the things that aren't so original like gap and urban outfitters fit in to the surrounding without destroying the old town feel...reminded me a little of westport...maybe not as earthy. i was really impressed.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Downtown Lawrence

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Lawrence is a great little town, but developers are trying to move in and destroy some of the old town charm. Borders a few years ago tore down several buildings 1 block east of downtown on New Hamphshire and put in a Borders Book Store. It's nice, but I think they should have built it to blend in with the older, brick buildings on Mass.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
KCgirl45
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Downtown Lawrence

Post by KCgirl45 »

I would like to see Downtown Lawrence get more like Downtown Columbia, for a college town. Downtown Columbia is wonderful. Lots of things to do there.
I live in Overland Park and went to school @ KU. I would really like to eventually move back to Lawrence, so here's hoping.
KCforumer

Downtown Lawrence

Post by KCforumer »

I've never been to Columbia. How do both city's downtowns differ. What about Lawrence's downtown would you like to be more like Columbia's?
davetodd
Pad site
Pad site

Downtown Lawrence

Post by davetodd »

I like both. For small town (city) downtowns they both have quite a bit to offer. I am pleased that both places have made it an effort to revitalize much of their oldtowns.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Downtown Lawrence

Post by dangerboy »

KCforumer wrote:I've never been to Columbia. How do both city's downtowns differ. What about Lawrence's downtown would you like to be more like Columbia's?
In my opinion, Columbia has a funkier, more bohemian vibe -especially since it's next to a universitiy and two colleges. The stores and restaurants are mostly independent, locally owned (except for one Panera). The chain stores like The Gap and Borders are kept in the mall, whereas Lawrence put them right in their downtown. While both cities are growing rapidly and quickly suburbanizing, Columbia seems to be retaining more of a unique atmosphere.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Downtown Lawrence

Post by trailerkid »

dangerboy wrote:The chain stores like The Gap and Borders are kept in the mall, whereas Lawrence put them right in their downtown.
Gap, Starbucks, Borders, etc. fought tooth and nail to come to downtown Lawrence, they weren't recruited. Most of the buildings and properties downtown are still in local hands.

One difference: Lawrence probably has double the amount of live music venues.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Downtown Lawrence

Post by KC0KEK »

trailerkid wrote:One difference: Lawrence probably has double the amount of live music venues.
Yup. I lived in Columbia from '88 to '98, and The Blue Note had a lock on most acts, except for the majors, which went to Hearnes or, occasionally, Jesse. The Silver Bullet was kind of a Blue Note for country acts, but I think that's gone now.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Downtown Lawrence

Post by bahua »

Downtown Lawrence also has an uncanny number of locally-owned businesses, which I personally think is wonderful.