Is the Streetcar Extension bringing new development as promised?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Is the Streetcar Extension bringing new development as promised?

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think the fact that all the hotels proposed downtown pre-pandemic still haven’t restart, despite the incoming world cup and extremely frequent events downtown, as well as a (seemingly) recovering tourism sector is pretty wild to me, and I think demonstrates that there’s something deeper up with downtown/urban development.

Like the hotel in the palace clothing building should be an easy slam dunk. It is designed, it’ll get historic tax credits, there’s zero affordable housing involved, it is almost next to the arena, ect.

There’s something stuck in the gears, and I’m sorry everyone I don’t think it’s the minority led tenants union, but I digress
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:51 pm.There’s something stuck in the gears, and I’m sorry everyone I don’t think it’s the minority led tenants union, but I digress
Definitely other factors at play, but acting like they aren’t a factor is disingenuous.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

I try to keep track of all the projects going on from 31st to the River and here's what I have for the last couple of years. Even after the original streetcar was announced, development didn't really pick up immediately. It was in those next couple of years after it was done when it really got going...

BTW, the year of completion might not be totally exact, it's just when I perceived something to be done...

2012 - 35 Units
2006 Wyandotte

2013 - 0 Units

2014 - 130 Units
Lucas Place Lofts
2015 - 787 Units
RMW, Butler Brothers Lofts, 1 Light, 1515 Genessee, 29 Gillham, Founders at Union Hill II, Pershing Lofts, Gillham Row Apts, Union Hill Homes
2016 - 814 Units
Centropolis on Grand, Argyle on 12th, P&L, Roaster's Block, 10 Main Center (Phase 1), 1914 Main, Switzer Lofts
2017 - 1263 Units
915 Broadway, Apex on Quality Hill, Commerce Tower, East 9 at Pickwick Plaza, Fairfax Lofts, New England Building, Summit on Quality Hill, Atlas Lofts, Walnut Terrace, CP Lofts
2018 - 1589 Units
531 Grand, The New Yorker, Oggi Lofts, Trader's on Grand, Two Light, Arterra 21, Mulberry Lofts, Crossroads West, Union Hill on Main, The Union
2019 - 359 Units
The Gallerie
2020 - 1058 Units
Stockyards Lofts, 17th & Madison, West Bottom Flats, River Market West 2, REVERB, Flashcube, Icon @ Gallerie
2021 - 922 Units
Second + Delaware, City Club Apartments, CORE Apts
2022 - 560 Units
The Mark, Artistry Kansas City
2023 - 378 Units
Three Light, West Bottom Flats (Phase 2)

Under construction - 1597 Units
10 Main Center additional floors, Via, Midland Building, 500 E 8th, The Levy, Arrive KC, Aines Dairy Lofts, Wonderland

Announced, but no movement or dead
3rd & Grand, 4 Light, Muehlbach Hotel, Oaks River Apts, Atlas 303, Alle, City Harvest, 5th & Main south, Adminarl Lofts, Axis Lofts (8th & Grand), Defeo, The Edison, Fashionbilt Lofts, Freight House Village, Scarritt Lofts, Sky / Cordish, Sunflower 11th & Grand, The Yards II

There's definitely been a slowdown, and I'd expect it to pick up a little as projects that were introduced just before the Restricted Income Units legislation have to get started.

Here's a general overview of units delivered to market by decade:
1980's: 1129 Units
1990's: 168 Units
2000's: 4737 Units
2010's: 5860 Units
2020-2024: 2565 Units

KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Good data - thanks for posting
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:22 pm
TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:51 pm.There’s something stuck in the gears, and I’m sorry everyone I don’t think it’s the minority led tenants union, but I digress
Definitely other factors at play, but acting like they aren’t a factor is disingenuous.
Agreed. Although in some folks defense, I don't think they realize yet that KC Tenants isn't actually a small, leaderless operation (you guys should go take a look at their political filings, they are extremely well funded and connected with major out of state interests). I too am not immune to have thought that they were just some small, ragtag obstructionist group.

Also, their ultimate, singular goal is social housing. That is why there is really no middle ground to settle on with them and why they rebuke every development. They want social housing. Period. It's all over their goals on their website.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:43 pm Hah, I write a long post about the multiple factors impacting development and investment along the streetcar, but nope, it's all Eric Bunch's and KC Tenants' fault.
I get it you're one of his donors. He's a running joke around city hall for being a gigantic moron. Bunch & KCT are driving forces for the slow down.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

KCDowntown wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:47 pm I try to keep track of all the projects going on from 31st to the River and here's what I have for the last couple of years. Even after the original streetcar was announced, development didn't really pick up immediately. It was in those next couple of years after it was done when it really got going...

BTW, the year of completion might not be totally exact, it's just when I perceived something to be done...

2012 - 35 Units
2006 Wyandotte

2013 - 0 Units

2014 - 130 Units
Lucas Place Lofts
2015 - 787 Units
RMW, Butler Brothers Lofts, 1 Light, 1515 Genessee, 29 Gillham, Founders at Union Hill II, Pershing Lofts, Gillham Row Apts, Union Hill Homes
2016 - 814 Units
Centropolis on Grand, Argyle on 12th, P&L, Roaster's Block, 10 Main Center (Phase 1), 1914 Main, Switzer Lofts
2017 - 1263 Units
915 Broadway, Apex on Quality Hill, Commerce Tower, East 9 at Pickwick Plaza, Fairfax Lofts, New England Building, Summit on Quality Hill, Atlas Lofts, Walnut Terrace, CP Lofts
2018 - 1589 Units
531 Grand, The New Yorker, Oggi Lofts, Trader's on Grand, Two Light, Arterra 21, Mulberry Lofts, Crossroads West, Union Hill on Main, The Union
2019 - 359 Units
The Gallerie
2020 - 1058 Units
Stockyards Lofts, 17th & Madison, West Bottom Flats, River Market West 2, REVERB, Flashcube, Icon @ Gallerie
2021 - 922 Units
Second + Delaware, City Club Apartments, CORE Apts
2022 - 560 Units
The Mark, Artistry Kansas City
2023 - 378 Units
Three Light, West Bottom Flats (Phase 2)

Under construction - 1597 Units
10 Main Center additional floors, Via, Midland Building, 500 E 8th, The Levy, Arrive KC, Aines Dairy Lofts, Wonderland

Announced, but no movement or dead
3rd & Grand, 4 Light, Muehlbach Hotel, Oaks River Apts, Atlas 303, Alle, City Harvest, 5th & Main south, Adminarl Lofts, Axis Lofts (8th & Grand), Defeo, The Edison, Fashionbilt Lofts, Freight House Village, Scarritt Lofts, Sky / Cordish, Sunflower 11th & Grand, The Yards II

There's definitely been a slowdown, and I'd expect it to pick up a little as projects that were introduced just before the Restricted Income Units legislation have to get started.

Here's a general overview of units delivered to market by decade:
1980's: 1129 Units
1990's: 168 Units
2000's: 4737 Units
2010's: 5860 Units
2020-2024: 2565 Units

KCDowntown

Thank you!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Here's a bummer. The Office Depot at 4201 Main will become a Total Wine and More
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d90b5e38c0
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:09 pm Here's a bummer. The Office Depot at 4201 Main will become a Total Wine and More
https://compasskc.kcmo.org/EnerGov_Prod ... d90b5e38c0
That sucks. Wonder what the next closest option is for those basic office supply needs (i.e., cables, paper, hard drives, etc.)?
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

nowhere very close. Target at Ward Parkway Center? Otherwise it's to the burbs for you or join Costco. No real options from River Market to the Plaza really. CVS, Walgreens for basic office needs. Otherwise you will just shop online, which it seems all Retailers want you to do anyway.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I went into that Office Depot right before I moved because it was close and I needed a roll of tape and some sharpies. There was an active confrontation between some homeless dude and an employee, and my tape plus sharpies cost like a million bucks. Also just a mess on the inside. The area definitely doesn't need another liquor store but that Office Depot was not fit for purpose.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Agreed. That location has been going downhill for awhile, but it's definitely leaving a void.