Kansas City Needs a Proper Christmas Market

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Kansas City Needs a Proper Christmas Market

Post by smh »

Splitting this off at Dave's request.

Kansas City lacks for Christmas activities, perhaps the most glaring of which is the absence of a real Christmas Market. Plenty of agreement that a Christmas market would be great. But where should it go?

Potential locations include:

- Nichols Road on the Plaza (perhaps a good demonstration of the year round potential of the street?
- Crown Center Square (to complement the other festive activities there?)

Where else, and why don't we have one already?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Kansas City Needs a Proper Christmas Market

Post by Critical_Mass »

There is a small open air Kristkindl Markt outside of Campground on its fourth year now. Most similar to ones I've visited in Chicago.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Barney Allis Plaza, Washington Square Park, and Oppenstein Park all seem like they would be decent for this. I could also get behind City Market Park.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I know I brought up union station in the last thread, but now I think city market area would probably fit the best for this. It’s the Old Market in the Old Town down by the river, with quite a bit of historic architecture around. It could also give the market a boost during the winter months
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

DC closes the entire block south of the National Portrait Gallery for the main holiday market, let's shut down some streets.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

I wonder what the requirements are to be a "proper Christmas market"? Because I feel like what Crown Center's doing this year would already meet those requirements. Obviously it's not executed as well as the markets in Europe but I'm not sure what it's missing. It's the first year so maybe people just don't know about it yet?

https://www.visitkc.com/event-detail/13 ... own-center
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

- Grand Street in front of T-Mobile Center. Milwaukee has had a Christmas market in front of the bucks arena for the past several years with tents for drinking beer, hot drinks, etc. Vendors had little huts, it was great but it closed up this year cause of lack of vendors.

-the grassy part in front of Kaufman center. This area needs to be utilized more. The backdrop is to nice to not have some kind of event like this.

- Grassy Part of the Nelson, might be to large of an area, and the drainage kind of sucks when it gets wet.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

I think the combination of Crown Center and Union Station together is unbeatable in getting one into the Christmas Spirit. If an open market like space is required Washington Square Park would be the perfect outdoor setting for that. It's all on the streetcar, connected by indoor walkways and has indoor amenities to warm-up with restrooms and hot chocolate breaks.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Whatever the multisite holiday or themed event, US/CC/WashSq Park is probably best combo bang for broad metro/regional draw. It's time to raise WashSq Park to another level outside of events as well. Could be on par with Rittenhouse Sq in Philly with some focus and philanthropy.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I moved to Vienna a couple months. It has some of the best Christmas markets in the world. The catch is, they have like a dozen of them with about 20 or so stalls each scattered throughout the whole city. It's not just one spot. Perhaps for KC, one spot would be a good start. I'd say do it in the River Market.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

River Market is also doable but maybe logistically problematic with the weekend vendors. CC/US are accustomed to delivering themed events.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Granted it's not downtown but Westport is doing a Christmas Market this Saturday.
https://westportkcmo.com/westport-christmas-market/
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

I like BAP for a downtown location. Unfortunately, it remains in limbo while the reconstruction project waits for final approvals.