Right turn on red bans

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Right turn on red bans

Post by Highlander »

Is there any discussion of banning right turns on red in KC?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pedestrian ... n-red-ban/

It's a national trend in cities with heavy pedestrian and bicycle traffic. As a cyclist and avid pedestrian, I've long been in favor of doing away with the right turn on red rule (plus it's heavily abused) but I think it would be highly opposed in an auto-centric metro like KC.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Right turn on red bans

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Just like speeding and running stop signs, I can’t see how you could possibly enforce that here. Even if you banned it, people would still do it because it’s been a habit for so long. It’s likely you could still put red light cameras up, since St. Louis made a law that circumvent the states previous ruling on the issue (but I expect that to change). There aren’t enough police to enforce this. Additionally, other municipalities around here likely wouldn’t change the law, causing disjointed traffic regulations. So you’re basically cornered.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

No thanks
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:16 pm Is there any discussion of banning right turns on red in KC?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pedestrian ... n-red-ban/

It's a national trend in cities with heavy pedestrian and bicycle traffic. As a cyclist and avid pedestrian, I've long been in favor of doing away with the right turn on red rule (plus it's heavily abused) but I think it would be highly opposed in an auto-centric metro like KC.
I think there is discussions. It's needed for sure.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I haven't seen a police officer enforcing traffic laws in KC in years. What's the point of a new traffic law if there's no one to enforce it? I guess you can use it in the lawsuit?