Another KC's "best" BBQ Article

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Another KC's "best" BBQ Article

Post by KC1963 »

Published today: https://www.kcur.org/podcast/up-to-date ... rk-chicken

Laughable comment from Carlton Logan about Bryants: "They now have two sauces to choose from."

Another article when he finds out there are three?

Been that way for at least several decades Carlton. smh

I know better to start any debate about BBQ other than the one that can't be disproved.

Harris BBQ on Brooklyn in the 80s was the best BBQ that ever existed. Period.

IMHO the overall quality of KC BBQ has gone downhill. LC's used to do the best burnt ends in town. Not even close to what they did in the 80s. Bryant's at times was so good in the 90s the brisket was like strips of candy without any sauce or anything. Just amazing. On a trip to KC a few years ago we went out of our way to Plowboys and were majorly disappointed with their 'award winning' BBQ.

Lastly some PSAs: Never buy BBQ for Father's Day or any other high demand day. The BBQ joints rush their production to meet demand and the results are never good.

The best BBQ in Texas would rank as the worst BBQ in KC.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Another KC's "best" BBQ Article

Post by Cratedigger »

KC1963 wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:08 am
This might be sacrilege but can't say I agree with this take...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:20 pm
Chef J BBQ is the superior choice
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:20 pm
:lol: Yeah, you'd have to never have had good BBQ in Texas to say this. I love them both and am a KC homer, but I've actually been all over Texas, tried tons of BBQ in DFW, SA, and Austin (not yet even made it to Lockhart) and... yeah. And that doesn't even include Franklin because I'm not standing in line that long for anything.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Texas BBQ is absolutely fantastic, I will say. In my experience though I feel as though KC BBQ is a lot more genuine, whereas Texas BBQ is overrated, and more commercialized. If given the choice I’ll obviously choose KC, but Texas doesn’t disappoint like most
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I would agree that some of it is super commercialized--especially the likes of Dickey's, Rudy's, and Bill Miller, of which our closest comparison might be Jack Stack or Gates (even those on an INSANELY smaller scale)--but for as wide as their collective reach is, it's still mostly small businesses (I mean, obviously Texas is freaking massive). But yeah, they have corporatized and commercialized it pretty effectively in ways that you don't really see in other regions, at least not that immediately come to mind.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

What’s always maybe KC BBQ the best is the sweet & tangy sauce but also the variety. We may not have the best brisket or pulled pork, but the variety of w we hat KC bbq has & the fact we do it all very well is what makes it world renown. We do burnt ends better than anyone.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I can get actual championship BBQ in each cardinal direction that I'd wager is of higher quality than back in the 80s. Sorry, but we're living in the BBQ renaissance. True, you probably got more bang for your buck back then but the overall quality is incredibly good now.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

mean wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:22 pm I would agree that some of it is super commercialized--especially the likes of Dickey's, Rudy's, and Bill Miller, of which our closest comparison might be Jack Stack or Gates
Rudy's is almost doable if you can get them to cut and serve the brisket right. A lot of places in Texas cut off the burnt end like pieces of the flat and then throw them in the trash can.

Bill Miller. Never. Dickey's. Never. Any place I go in Texas, I'm taking a bottle of KC sauce and leaving what's left there so maybe they try it and learn a lil something.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KC1963 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:23 pm
mean wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:22 pm I would agree that some of it is super commercialized--especially the likes of Dickey's, Rudy's, and Bill Miller, of which our closest comparison might be Jack Stack or Gates
Rudy's is almost doable if you can get them to cut and serve the brisket right. A lot of places in Texas cut off the burnt end like pieces of the flat and then throw them in the trash can.

Bill Miller. Never. Dickey's. Never. Any place I go in Texas, I'm taking a bottle of KC sauce and leaving what's left there so maybe they try it and learn a lil something.
Nah their thing is they don’t need the sauce. Any sauce you use would ruin their rub
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I realize this is sacrilegious and all, and in fairness I've only been to Texas once so it was all on the same trip, but I was in Austin for work a few years ago, got barbecue at three different places all recommended by locals (though not Franklin's, which was also recommended by locals, but, well:
mean wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:33 am I'm not standing in line that long for anything.
and I wouldn't have had the time even if I were willing), and I wasn't impressed. All of the barbecue I had was pretty good, don't get me wrong, I was satisfied enough after every meal, but (here's where the sacrilege comes in) I've had better "Texas-style" barbecue in New York City (cue reference to old salsa commercial).
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:07 pm
Nah their thing is they don’t need the sauce. Any sauce you use would ruin their rub
Agreed. Great BBQ doesn't need sauce. Good BBQ does. I use less and less of sauces these days. Too much sugar and fructose - doesn't work with keto/carnivore.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:07 pm
KC1963 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:23 pm

There's sauce in every BBQ place in Texas I've ever been in. Not exaustive, but I bet I've eaten in 100 Texas BBQ restaurants, and they have run the gamut from great to garbage, just like everywhere else.