Noka

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Noka

Post by DaveKCMO »

Have you been to Noka -- dinner, happy hour, or both? We've been once for dinner and found the food impressive but the dining room's insistence on communal seating to be a challenge (hello, COVID?).
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Noka

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I enjoyed noka but a couple of the dishes were a big miss for me. The communal seating is okay, I have heard people have been falling out of the oddly designed chairs. The whole vibe of the place reminds me of the movie called "The Menu" if u have ever seen it.

The type of food they serve doesn't really want me to go back again unless menu changes frequently. I think it would be great if the parkville restaurant acre moved into this spot if noka doesn't make it
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

We went to Noka for dinner a day or two after open and sat at the kitchen bar area - overall, I got vibes of "The Rieger, but vaguely Asian" from the place.

We enjoyed the food, but...we won't be back, for reasons unrelated to the menu or seating setup.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

swid wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:48 am We went to Noka for dinner a day or two after open and sat at the kitchen bar area - overall, I got vibes of "The Rieger, but vaguely Asian" from the place.

We enjoyed the food, but...we won't be back, for reasons unrelated to the menu or seating setup.
The proprietor called it "passively Asian", whatever the fuck that means. I also won't go there, for reasons unrelated to the menu or seating setup.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Okay, you both can't just drop those vague comments and not dish... this is a safe place (except everyone's lurking)!
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

I ate at the kitchen bar. Tasty, imaginative cocktails and I loved the edamame toast. Pleasant service. But for the price and the theater of breaking apart its terracotta casing with a mallet, I'd have expected the duck not to be dry.

The bathroom was something else. Once I wrassled the enormous crypt door, I got to a sink that was a piece of rough rock with a very (too) shallow space carved out for a bowl. The water came out of a pipe overhead and was turned on/off by something on the wall that looked like the main shutoff for my house. Fortunately I wasn't dressed like an Instagram influencer (unlike nearly everyone else), so all the splattering only made me laugh.

It was all so precious, and it was also packed at 6 on a Tuesday. I wish them well, but I don't feel the need to return.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

swid wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:48 am We went to Noka for dinner a day or two after open and sat at the kitchen bar area - overall, I got vibes of "The Rieger, but vaguely Asian" from the place.

To re-up on Dave's post: What was the deal? Gotta share.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

The short version is "not agreeing with hiring decisions (and the rationale made for those decisions) made by ownership".

It's a deal-breaker for me due to knowing the employee involved, but what happened isn't something that rises to the level of me telling everyone else to stay away.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

swid wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:02 am The short version is "not agreeing with hiring decisions (and the rationale made for those decisions) made by ownership".

It's a deal-breaker for me due to knowing the employee involved, but what happened isn't something that rises to the level of me telling everyone else to stay away.
Noted, thanks for the additional info!