Grand Blvd Closures

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Grand Blvd Closures

Post by KCPowercat »

im2kull wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:59 pm
Jblanco wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:59 pm I don't think a racetrack matters. If there were 10 racetracks within a mile of Grand Avenue these worthless little sh__heads would still waste rubber, risk lives and disturb everyone's peace because they don't care about speed and racing, they want to show off. Even if that means someone dies, they destroy property and/or make everyone around them miserable with their idiot showboating. They need a stage for their lack of talent and Grand Avenue gives them one.
Agree'd, except this actually doesn't even happen on Grand within the downtown core. It never has. The sideshow typically occurs on the other side of Truman Blvd, something these closures still don't mitigate. I think it's a common misconception spread here that these sideshows are actually occurring within the P&L district or the T-Mobile Center frontage. They aren't. It's always closed. It's happening South of the highway and over on Main Street mostly.
There are sideshow tire marks at 11th, 12th, 13th, and 14th and grand intersections.

https://goo.gl/maps/Yw3aLmFa25Wf6WVg6
https://goo.gl/maps/GDNCdWnrA1vt8zbt6
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

Jblanco wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:59 pm I don't think a racetrack matters. If there were 10 racetracks within a mile of Grand Avenue these worthless little sh__heads would still waste rubber, risk lives and disturb everyone's peace because they don't care about speed and racing, they want to show off. Even if that means someone dies, they destroy property and/or make everyone around them miserable with their idiot showboating. They need a stage for their lack of talent and Grand Avenue gives them one.

Agree'd, except this actually doesn't even happen on Grand within the downtown core. It never has. The sideshow typically occurs on the other side of Truman Blvd, something these closures still don't mitigate. I think it's a common misconception spread here that these sideshows are actually occurring within the P&L district or the T-Mobile Center frontage. They aren't. It's always closed. It's happening South of the highway and over on Main Street mostly.

I don't know what you are talking about. The idiots I've seen are always on Grand at 12th -Truman which is where the city is closing the street.

Grand at 12th
https://youtu.be/lg-OiZQCM40

Grand at Truman
https://youtu.be/_LGZpSnITUE?t=363

Grand ar 13th
https://youtu.be/HVIx-6DQ7s4
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Jblanco wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:47 pm

I don't know what you are talking about. The idiots I've seen are always on Grand at 12th -Truman which is where the city is closing the street.

Grand at 12th

Grand at Truman

Grand ar 13th
1. The city isn't closing the street. By all measures it's being done by an entity that's not the city.
2. Nobody's closing Grand where you guys think they are. It's apparent you don't live downtown. Grand is ONLY being closed from the South side of the 13th & Grand intersection (Which still allows for sideshows to occur IN the intersection), to the South side of the 14th & Grand intersection (Which still allows sideshows to occur in both Truman Rd intersections). It's so commonplace that the barriers, blockage, and road shut down is now featured in Google Maps Aerial imagery.
https://goo.gl/maps/FUhzy8oyj35i3RJK9

Clearly this strategy is ineffective and serves only to remove a working thoroughfare for vehicular traffic, frustrating all residents and visitors alike. If Grand & 12th is a problem, then the city should address that. We shouldn't be closing Grand two blocks away from where the action is occurring. That serves NO purpose. As does leaving every other street untouched that's experiencing crime while blocking off a two hundred foot stretch of Grand in front of T-Mobile arena.

The only reasons I see for the T-Mobile arena frontage being closed is greed, laziness, and control. It has nothing to do with safety or reducing crime. It has everything to do with paying laborers once during regular business hours to set up and tear down the blockage, instead of paying a premium to close it off timely as needed for events, and allows Cordish to gain a block worth of VIP parking and tour bus parking. This appears to be its actual use. Even the Google imagery shows that. Which, is inappropriate. T-Mobile Arena has it's own parking lot and busses should be parking overnight elsewhere. We don't need to inconvenience the city to coddle performers.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Grand at 12th

Grand at Truman

Grand ar 13th
Just further proof that a soft prosecutor and neutered police force is the #1 problem. Hard to tell anyone "Don't do that" when you have prosecutors and cops literally allowing it.
Jblanco
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Jblanco »

im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:42 am Agree'd, except this actually doesn't even happen on Grand within the downtown core. It never has. The sideshow typically occurs on the other side of Truman Blvd, something these closures still don't mitigate. I think it's a common misconception spread here that these sideshows are actually occurring within the P&L district or the T-Mobile Center frontage. They aren't. It's always closed. It's happening South of the highway and over on Main Street mostly.

You were already proven wrong.It is and was happening at 11th and 12th and Grand.

im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:42 am 2. Nobody's closing Grand where you guys think they are. It's apparent you don't live downtown. Grand is ONLY being closed from the South side of the 13th & Grand intersection (Which still allows for sideshows to occur IN the intersection)......

You said it was almost always happening on the other (south) side of Truman.
You were wrong. And I don't understand why you are being condescending about not living downtown when we see the videos.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Jblanco wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:37 pm
im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:42 am Agree'd, except this actually doesn't even happen on Grand within the downtown core. It never has. The sideshow typically occurs on the other side of Truman Blvd, something these closures still don't mitigate. I think it's a common misconception spread here that these sideshows are actually occurring within the P&L district or the T-Mobile Center frontage. They aren't. It's always closed. It's happening South of the highway and over on Main Street mostly.

You were already proven wrong.It is and was happening at 11th and 12th and Grand.

im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:42 am 2. Nobody's closing Grand where you guys think they are. It's apparent you don't live downtown. Grand is ONLY being closed from the South side of the 13th & Grand intersection (Which still allows for sideshows to occur IN the intersection)......

You said it was almost always happening on the other (south) side of Truman.
You were wrong. And I don't understand why you are being condescending about not living downtown when we see the videos.
One night with a few videos is anecdotal. Everyone living downtown knows that the vast majority of this occurs right in front of the trashy ass PRIME club on the other side of the highway, on S. Truman. Sure, from there a few folks end up going up and down Main, and occasionally folks end up at 12/13th & Grand.. proving how ineffective and worthless the Grand closures are. But, everyone who witnesses it regularly knows it only occurs because there's no enforcement of existing traffic law, and that it generally all starts and centers around highly esteemed establishments such as PRIME, and The Daiquiri Bar.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Of course it's ineffective. Everybody knows this.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

What is it going to take to shut Prime down? The homicide at 20 and Main is result cause of Prime? There are people from out of town staying in the area for Ed Sheeran, so sick of these ghetto nightclubs. They are responsible for so many of the weekend shootings in the commercial districts. It's just a never ending cycle.
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

For the uninitiated, what’s prime?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:29 pm For the uninitiated, what’s prime?
A nightclub/bar business at 1511 Grand. Sometimes when I walk by it, there's a line to get in. I have no opinion on it since I don't go to Nightclubs, but if there's a correlation between Prime and today's homicide at 20th and Main, the city might need to step in.
https://www.facebook.com/Primebarkc
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It's probably not related honestly. Think it happened to early in the day for it to be Prime related. Whenever something happens in crossroads 9 times out of 10 it's Prime Night Club related
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:18 pm What is it going to take to shut Prime down? The homicide at 20 and Main is result cause of Prime? There are people from out of town staying in the area for Ed Sheeran, so sick of these ghetto nightclubs. They are responsible for so many of the weekend shootings in the commercial districts. It's just a never ending cycle.
I don't think 20th and Main had anything to do with Prime. Prime wasn't open last night.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:42 am

Grand at 12th

Grand at Truman

Grand ar 13th
1. The city isn't closing the street. By all measures it's being done by an entity that's not the city.
2. Nobody's closing Grand where you guys think they are. It's apparent you don't live downtown. Grand is ONLY being closed from the South side of the 13th & Grand intersection (Which still allows for sideshows to occur IN the intersection), to the South side of the 14th & Grand intersection (Which still allows sideshows to occur in both Truman Rd intersections). It's so commonplace that the barriers, blockage, and road shut down is now featured in Google Maps Aerial imagery.
https://goo.gl/maps/FUhzy8oyj35i3RJK9

Clearly this strategy is ineffective and serves only to remove a working thoroughfare for vehicular traffic, frustrating all residents and visitors alike. If Grand & 12th is a problem, then the city should address that. We shouldn't be closing Grand two blocks away from where the action is occurring. That serves NO purpose. As does leaving every other street untouched that's experiencing crime while blocking off a two hundred foot stretch of Grand in front of T-Mobile arena.

The only reasons I see for the T-Mobile arena frontage being closed is greed, laziness, and control. It has nothing to do with safety or reducing crime. It has everything to do with paying laborers once during regular business hours to set up and tear down the blockage, instead of paying a premium to close it off timely as needed for events, and allows Cordish to gain a block worth of VIP parking and tour bus parking. This appears to be its actual use. Even the Google imagery shows that. Which, is inappropriate. T-Mobile Arena has it's own parking lot and busses should be parking overnight elsewhere. We don't need to inconvenience the city to coddle performers.
LOL! Seriously, for greed? Google imagery is from a festival that took place the weekend the google image was taken. No vehicles, especially "VIP" are parking on Grand. No tour busses part there either and in the past when they have, they park in the parking lane which wouldn't require the street to be shut down. Lastly, please tell me how Cordish makes even a single extra penny by closing Grand? It costs them money and pisses off their customers who are inconvenienced. This was the cities and PD's idea to keep the street safe while they figure out a permanent solution, which they are in fact working on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:38 am
brewcrew1000 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:18 pm What is it going to take to shut Prime down? The homicide at 20 and Main is result cause of Prime? There are people from out of town staying in the area for Ed Sheeran, so sick of these ghetto nightclubs. They are responsible for so many of the weekend shootings in the commercial districts. It's just a never ending cycle.
I don't think 20th and Main had anything to do with Prime. Prime wasn't open last night.
Prime wasn't open at all last week which may mean it's done. I didn't hear about a temporary closing.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

The Grand Blvd Closures thread:
"They closed Grand again!"
"Why do they do this!?!"
"We hate Cordish."

two weeks later--
"They closed Grand again!"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:38 am
Prime wasn't open at all last week which may mean it's done. I didn't hear about a temporary closing.
Sounds like it was open Saturday night. PD says came from 1501 Grand. Maybe that was just a sideshow started there if in fact it hasn't been open?
https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/4-men-i ... y-missouri
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:17 pm Lastly, please tell me how Cordish makes even a single extra penny by closing Grand? It costs them money and pisses off their customers who are inconvenienced. This was the cities and PD's idea to keep the street safe while they figure out a permanent solution, which they are in fact working on.
If it's the cities idea, then they need to own it. Not Cordish or any other private entity.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

im2kull wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:03 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:17 pm Lastly, please tell me how Cordish makes even a single extra penny by closing Grand? It costs them money and pisses off their customers who are inconvenienced. This was the cities and PD's idea to keep the street safe while they figure out a permanent solution, which they are in fact working on.
If it's the cities idea, then they need to own it. Not Cordish or any other private entity.
You can't rely on the city to execute this. It was their suggestion along with the PD. If we had proper PD staffing in this city, the closures wouldn't be needed at all. Like many things that the city is responsible for, the developer, Cordish in this example, has taken on the expense and responsibility of setting up, maintaining and removing. Otherwise, it won't get done.

I do think we will see some change over the next several months. Matter of fact, I think we will see big changes soon to downtown closures as we gear up to start work on the cap.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've seen a couple posts about "proper PD staffing". What do you mean there? Just the opening on the PD? How PD leadership is utilizing their budget (uniformed officers vs. management)? How the PD on the street are deployed?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:35 pm I've seen a couple posts about "proper PD staffing". What do you mean there? Just the opening on the PD? How PD leadership is utilizing their budget (uniformed officers vs. management)? How the PD on the street are deployed?
KCPD is at its lowest staffing numbers in over 50 years. They're down nearly 300 officers from where they would be if fully staffed, so things like traffic enforcement and chasing down donut dorks is low priority.