Grand Blvd Closures

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Grand Blvd Closures

Post by WoodDraw »

Anytime someone says "hesitant to address the truth" it's better to ignore them.

Even assuming it's true that they have recruiting challenges, there's no evidence that says what direction the cultural problems go.

What type of people are you trying to recruit and where are you recruiting from?

A police force doesn't need to be a military force nor does it need to be singular in it's focus. In this respect, they just need to look at video footage and take the cars.

🤷‍♂️
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:26 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:15 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:55 pm

They have enough budget. Don't try and make this political, they don't have anybody who cares overseeing them.

Go compare their budget to any other city, it's not money problem.
I'm not aiming to make this a political statement, but that's precisely my main point. People are often hesitant to address the truth, leading us to point fingers at factors that aren't the root cause, such as state control of the police department, all in an attempt to avoid discussing the significant, albeit uncomfortable, issues.

While they do possess the budget and are making extensive efforts to recruit, the shortage of willing candidates remains a critical challenge. Shifting control to the local level may not necessarily resolve this issue. Our recent treatment of the profession, particularly over the last four years, has undeniably played a role in exacerbating this problem. So, if this is deemed a political statement, then so be it. It might also be political to acknowledge that certain actions by the police in specific situations have contributed to the current perception of the profession.

It's simply astonishing to consider that state control is the primary, factor behind the staffing shortage.

Even if they were adequately staffed, there is significant reluctance to interact with specific communities in certain circumstances due to fear. A simple mistake, even if unintentional, can lead to civilian unrest and have life-altering consequences for the officers involved.

Lastly, addressing the street racing issue is a formidable challenge due to the substantial risk it poses, not only to law enforcement but also to bystanders who gather to watch. There’s the constant danger of vehicles speeding away at dangerously high rates.
Yea start the salary at an actual "livable" wage like 65k-75k, not 38k.

I'd pay an extra 1% for that. We pay our public employees like shit in this country, and wonder why we generally get poor results.
I heard what some people at the jails make and no wonder they smuggle drugs in
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Even if they were adequately staffed, there is significant reluctance to interact with specific communities in certain circumstances due to fear. A simple mistake, even if unintentional, can lead to civilian unrest and have life-altering consequences for the officers involved.
The causes of the major episodes of civil unrest the past few years have not been for "simple mistakes."

By and large, I think the broader public (excluding the perma-protestors who make outrage their currency) has been relatively discerning.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:28 pm
DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:26 pm

I'm not aiming to make this a political statement, but that's precisely my main point. People are often hesitant to address the truth, leading us to point fingers at factors that aren't the root cause, such as state control of the police department, all in an attempt to avoid discussing the significant, albeit uncomfortable, issues.

While they do possess the budget and are making extensive efforts to recruit, the shortage of willing candidates remains a critical challenge. Shifting control to the local level may not necessarily resolve this issue. Our recent treatment of the profession, particularly over the last four years, has undeniably played a role in exacerbating this problem. So, if this is deemed a political statement, then so be it. It might also be political to acknowledge that certain actions by the police in specific situations have contributed to the current perception of the profession.

It's simply astonishing to consider that state control is the primary, factor behind the staffing shortage.

Lastly, addressing the street racing issue is a formidable challenge due to the substantial risk it poses, not only to law enforcement but also to bystanders who gather to watch. There’s the constant danger of vehicles speeding away at dangerously high rates.
Yea start the salary at an actual "livable" wage like 65k-75k, not 38k.

I'd pay an extra 1% for that. We pay our public employees like shit in this country, and wonder why we generally get poor results.
I heard what some people at the jails make and no wonder they smuggle drugs in
Yea you'd be lucky to clear 30k in most private (and many state-run) prisons. Although with the shortage of correctional officers, there's plenty of overtime...
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

WoodDraw wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:28 pm Anytime someone says "hesitant to address the truth" it's better to ignore them.

Even assuming it's true that they have recruiting challenges, there's no evidence that says what direction the cultural problems go.

What type of people are you trying to recruit and where are you recruiting from?

A police force doesn't need to be a military force nor does it need to be singular in it's focus. In this respect, they just need to look at video footage and take the cars.

🤷‍♂️
Anyone can do a deep dive into this country wide issue and find dozens and dozens of articles that discuss the factors involved with a shortage of police officers.

This is such a pie in the sky response. If it was only as simple as setting up some cameras and confiscating the car later when it is safe. How do you prove the owner was driving? What if the owner wasn’t driving? What’s the constitutionality of taking someone’s property without a proper investigation? Who’s going to do the investigation? Oh wait, that would require an increased number of police officers.

You need police officers to proactively prevent these from happening but other crimes take priority and make putting bodies on preventive measures that may or may not happen is low priority. Just like all crime downtown, more police presence would go a long way and we have hard data that proves this. But preventative patrols take a knee to active calls when you’re spread thin.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:41 pm
The causes of the major episodes of civil unrest the past few years have not been for "simple mistakes."

By and large, I think the broader public (excluding the perma-protestors who make outrage their currency) has been relatively discerning.
That’s not what I said. The past major mistakes that have been made have created an environment to where honest mistakes that could hurt or kill people will result in an overreaction regardless of the circumstances. I’m not making excuses for bad police and serious past incidents.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:26 pm The reality is the ~~38k starting salary is just pitifully low. You could make more stacking two entry level retail jobs.

Yes, its the reputation about being a police officer, but its also the fact that the private sector pays so much better. Who would sign up for that? It's just not competitive.

We've got to get serious in this country about taxes, many of which will need to go higher, or at the very least reallocated, to provide the services people expect.
How do you get public unions to trade significant backend pay for upfront raises? I don't think you can
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I in no way think local control fixes everything but it is a barrier that can be removed and provide more local accountability for our police department. Like how they spend their budget. It's not working now, why are some so reluctant to get behind that change? Mayor, etc. think it matters and if they are using it as a crutch then let's remove that option and able to hold our local officials also more accountable.

Not having done many comps to other PDs but KCPD seems top heavy. (page 38)
https://www.kcpd.org/media/4783/2022-annual-report.pdf
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:55 am I in no way think local control fixes everything but it is a barrier that can be removed and provide more local accountability for our police department. Like how they spend their budget. It's not working now, why are some so reluctant to get behind that change? Mayor, etc. think it matters and if they are using it as a crutch then let's remove that option and able to hold our local officials also more accountable.

Not having done many comps to other PDs but KCPD seems top heavy. (page 38)
https://www.kcpd.org/media/4783/2022-annual-report.pdf
I don’t disagree that having local control would be the better option, I’m just saying I don’t think that’s the best way to solve our immediate needs. It does seem like an archaic system.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I don't think there is really any quick fix for our immediate needs sadly.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:28 pm How would local control help get more officers hired? Our problem isn’t who controls the PD. It’s the lack of officers and the overall treatment of the police over the last few years has strongly contributed to no one wanting to be a cop.

Why we dance around this reality is beyond me.
People don't like to admit that extreme left ideas are extremely flawed and ineffective. Extremists have become normalized, and defending extremist ideology a routine occurrence.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Metro wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:45 pm The new groves make the street look unfinished and embarrassing. It's amazing how cops can't just arrest and impound vehicles from people doing sideshows. KC is incapable of solving anything
I drove by this finally yesterday and I don't think it's that bad.

That said, if we're going to carve up the street anyway would it be possible to color them in some way or have some design when viewed from above?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Or just BUILD A MEDIAN
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:39 pm Or just BUILD A MEDIAN
Through an intersection?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:16 pm
Metro wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:45 pm The new groves make the street look unfinished and embarrassing. It's amazing how cops can't just arrest and impound vehicles from people doing sideshows. KC is incapable of solving anything

That said, if we're going to carve up the street anyway would it be possible to color them in some way or have some design when viewed from above?
I think they look goofy right now but when they fade and blend into the older surface, they'll hardly be noticeable.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:16 pm

That's good to hear. Some sort of color or design would be a fantastic idea.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:09 pm Nobody cares how st Louis is doing anything. It's a dying rustbelt. Give KC local control then we can at least have local accountability
That's one hell of an argument. Next you'll tell us KC is too big landwise. Go ahead and cover all of the lazy talking points.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:46 pm
You clearly haven't been on that street after 10pm on a Friday or Saturday when it was open? If you did, you'd remember the street car racing and donut-polooza.
https://www.kcpd.org/media/news-release ... sideshows/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:16 pm
You clearly haven't been on that street after 10pm on a Friday or Saturday when it was open? If you did, you'd remember the street car racing and donut-polooza.
Ecstatic they did this! There’s hope.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:16 pm
This is some great enforcement I think all of us on the board can celebrate