Sacramento Airport Expansion

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Sacramento Airport Expansion

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Looks like some expansion work is underway for SMF. A pedestrian walkway is extending from the Central Terminal B to the airside concourse; they have been having trouble keeping up with passenger numbers with just the APM. Also in the plans is the Terminal B garage that was initially proposed as part of the Terminal B project back in 2007.

Only render I could find is for the pedestrian connection. the rest are from what looks to be a public presentation. Terminal A & B both look to be expanding by a fair bit, and the graphs I found show they’re projecting steady growth in traffic. Hopefully with the increase in capacity, KC can get a non-stop route to SMF in the medium term. Link to the website is also listed below.

https://sacramento.aero/smforward

alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Sacramento Airport Expansion

Post by alejandro46 »

What a weirdly set up airport. Terminal A and B seem really disconnected. The stubby APM also seems like a really strange chokepoint. This airport also gets a decent amount of traffic to Napa and Lake Tahoe (along with Reno).
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Sacramento Airport Expansion

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:03 pm What a weirdly set up airport. Terminal A and B seem really disconnected. The stubby APM also seems like a really strange chokepoint. This airport also gets a decent amount of traffic to Napa and Lake Tahoe (along with Reno).
I believe the intention with the redone central terminal B, at least originally, was to consolidate operations, and then build a new terminal A airside concourse also connected by APM. It’s definitely not the most functional layout. All in all though it does the job, and terminal B nowadays is quite nice.