NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by KCDowntown »

There's a new Development Plan permit for a 300-unit apartment building with parking and ground-floor retail included on the NE corner of 14th & Wyandotte. The permit's address is 1330 Baltimore (P&L Building), but the legal description of the location is the area south of the Crowne Plaza hotel and west of the P&L.

I think Lux Living is behind it, based off the contact list.

KCDowntown
Last edited by KCDowntown on Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: NE Corner of 14th & Wyandotte (300 unit apartment)

Post by missingkc »

A 300 unit building on that lot should have some height, right?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

That's the site of this completely accurate and well-thought-out rendering, right?

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:26 am That's the site of this completely accurate and well-thought-out rendering, right?
Yes, that's the site.

KCDowntown
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I’m thinking this will be 16-20 floors. Hopefully it’s a good design.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Lux Living must be doing decent if they are able to secure this type of capital for a large development.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:31 am I’m thinking this will be 16-20 floors. Hopefully it’s a good design.
Cool. That gets you up to the first or second step back of the KCPL building
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I’m glad it’s Lux. They’re one of the few that actually builds when they say they’re gonna build it. I’ll give them that.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:28 pm I’m glad it’s Lux. They’re one of the few that actually builds when they say they’re gonna build it. I’ll give them that.
You won’t be so glad it’s Lux once you dive into their past. My biggest mistake and regret so far is ever working for them. They need an entire overhaul of the leadership team and need to slow down on their portfolio for their own good. I’m hoping this one can be pulled off since it would require them to break from their old habits in order to be successful.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

glad something is moving forward there as there is nothing there now. That design rendering is cool but there is maybe 000000001% chance something like that gets built. I'm sure it will be a slightly less boring box, but something is better than nothing.

If the rendering is correct then sweet, otherwise...development is development :)
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Just here for the next boring low rise.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

That rendering is old and from when the lot had different ownership. Even then, I think there was zero chance if it being built. It was clearly another idea just slapped on this lot.

The footprint appears to be only slightly larger than the Lights, to I would think this might be closer to 25 stories.

The architect is listed as DLR Group. It may have little bearing on what they do here, but this is a 300 unit building they designed for San Jose. 25 Stories.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

But are the first 10 floors parking.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Yeah I’d take that in a heartbeat. I hope this one doesn’t drag out.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

The San Jose building design is nice. The other rendering was cool but higher than what we are getting. I just like the unique shape. I just want to see some architectural differences & personality in the buildings going up downtown. The Lowes had so much potential & it turned into an ugly Holiday Inn Express on steroids. Inside is very pleasing but the limestone/brown Stine sections just make it look blah, even cheap.

But something is better than nothing
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Please build up to the P&L Building and cover up that hideous blank wall.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 pm But something is better than nothing
We said this for the Waddell Reed building, and I think that has to be the last time we do that for a tower. For example, the more time goes on, the more the Waddell tower just seems so ridiculous not having ground floor activation there. As the area arounds it fills out with this tower, 4 Light, the 670 cap, etc., I think it just looks so bad. They messed up on that one badly. Can't ever let a tower here do that again downtown.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:38 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:28 pm I’m glad it’s Lux. They’re one of the few that actually builds when they say they’re gonna build it. I’ll give them that.
You won’t be so glad it’s Lux once you dive into their past. My biggest mistake and regret so far is ever working for them. They need an entire overhaul of the leadership team and need to slow down on their portfolio for their own good. I’m hoping this one can be pulled off since it would require them to break from their old habits in order to be successful.
Now that I've thought about it, I can see why this spot would be smart to develop. 670 cap & new Barney Allis just down the road each way. I can see this working.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:13 pm
We said this for the Waddell Reed building, and I think that has to be the last time we do that for a tower. For example, the more time goes on, the more the Waddell tower just seems so ridiculous not having ground floor activation there. As the area arounds it fills out with this tower, 4 Light, the 670 cap, etc., I think it just looks so bad. They messed up on that one badly. Can't ever let a tower here do that again downtown.
I actually think the W&R building turned out pretty nicely? Good streetscape and there is a retail spot that will be filled by the future south loop park. I mean yeah couple additional spots would be nice, but it’s better than what was there before
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Cratedigger wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:28 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:13 pm
I actually think the W&R building turned out pretty nicely? Good streetscape and there is a retail spot that will be filled by the future south loop park. I mean yeah couple additional spots would be nice, but it’s better than what was there before
The design is nice, yes. People were hating on the design way too pre-maturely. That's why people shouldn't hate on the airport either until it's opened and they're using it.