KC Rag Meetup/Streetcar Extension walking tour?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KC Rag Meetup/Streetcar Extension walking tour?

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Hey all! Was kicking around the idea, and had garnered some input from others on here as well as folks who have a general urbanism liking, and thought we should do a meet up sometime soon. We’re thinking a Sunday walk along the entire extension route. If anyone has any suggestions on this feel free to chip in! Shooting for January 29th or February 5th. If that works for enough of us then we’ll iron out a date.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: KC Rag Meetup/Streetcar Extension walking tour?

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Depends on the weather. If it's windy and cold, the walk would be miserable. So I'd push for this to be flexible so that we all don't freeze.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Yeah, maybe you guys walk it in the cold and I'll meet you at the end for a report back at a bar 😂
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:05 pm Depends on the weather. If it's windy and cold, the walk would be miserable. So I'd push for this to be flexible so that we all don't freeze.
Agreed, obviously weather dependent
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:10 pm Yeah, maybe you guys walk it in the cold and I'll meet you at the end for a report back at a bar 😂
Oh there will definitely be a bar meeting at the end 😂
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Oh yeah, don't think that I won't bail if the weather is terrible*. Let's plan a "weather date" if that happens. The good news is that we're only 30% complete so there's lots of progress to watch later this year.

*For me, "terrible" means below 30 degrees and/or significant wind/rain/snow with the cold (let's say sustained winds over 15mph). Like we would not do walking tour today!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:54 pm Oh yeah, don't think that I won't bail if the weather is terrible*. Let's plan a "weather date" if that happens. The good news is that we're only 30% complete so there's lots of progress to watch later this year.

*For me, "terrible" means below 30 degrees and/or significant wind/rain/snow with the cold (let's say sustained winds over 15mph). Like we would not do walking tour today!
Good parameters to plan around there. We’ll make a weather call say 3-4 days before
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Bringing this thread back up since I think it's still a good idea. Today and yesterday were perfect days for this.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Saturday afternoon?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

For me, most likely not since I'm chauffeuring my mom and sister around when they come up for the Taylor Swift concert that day. Hopefully soon though!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Perhaps the weekend of the 15th & 16th? Give a little more buffer time to see who all could attend.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I unfortunately can't make it Saturday because I'll be chauffeuring Taylor Swift around.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:47 pm Perhaps the weekend of the 15th & 16th? Give a little more buffer time to see who all could attend.
Let's do the 15th and hope it's not 100 degrees. Forecast now says 87, so we should start in the morning. There isn't much shade on Main!

I do need suggestions on the route. When I did these walking tours downtown, the environment was relatively flat and easy to loop back and forth. Not so much in Midtown. Here's your fantasy map opportunity!

I will have to walk it myself first to make sure it's safe and logical.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I'd love to do this, but I'm out of town that weekend.

I agree that it's too long to do a loop, but as someone who lives very near the highest point on Main between downtown and the Plaza, I'd suggest starting somewhere near 31st and going south from there.