Is KC's restaurant scene in a slump?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Is KC's restaurant scene in a slump?

Post by Highlander »

Having just returned to KC, my wife and I were looking for a nice place to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Seems like most places that came up via the typical searches we have been to before and a lot of the old standards are gone. Nothing all that compelling that is new. Any suggestions? Leaning towards Grunauers but open to suggestions. Anywhere in the metro would be game.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Is KC's restaurant scene in a slump?

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:41 pm Having just returned to KC, my wife and I were looking for a nice place to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Seems like most places that came up via the typical searches we have been to before and a lot of the old standards are gone. Nothing all that compelling that is new. Any suggestions? Leaning towards Grunauers but open to suggestions. Anywhere in the metro would be game.
Earls Premier, Ocean Prime, Farina (sorry lots of seafood), Fox & Pearl (not fancy but definitely date worthy), The Town Co

Of course there’s others (Corvino, Antler room , etc) but they’ve been around awhile. Happy Anniversary!
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Tailleur in midtown is new-ish, quite good
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

If you’re looking at Grunauers, I’d look at Affair too.

In addition to what BFA put up, Novel is good as is Clay & Fire. I’m sure you know La Bodega. I’ve heard good things about Town & Co but haven’t personally tried it yet.

I’m also personally a big fan of the Quaff’s steak night on Wed, but I get the impression that isn’t quite the vibe you’re going for!
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Are u looking only on Open Table? All of the good restaurants have pretty much left open table and it's nothing but crappy chains on it now and Grunauer. Tock seems to have all the good KC restaurants now
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

We should prob put together a list of the best restaurants in KC to go to that aren’t chains or are only in very select few cities
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What type of food? Yes the peppercorn duck clubs of the world are gone and probably never returning
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'm a HUGE Gunauers fan, but the best meal I've had in KC in a LONG time was at Brady and Fox (63rd and Rockhill). Not fancy but it was fantastic.

Earls Premier is also very good, especially their cocktails.

I'll also second Tailleur and put in Ragazzi as a special mention.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

For a "fancy" dinner, Town Co and Antler Room are favorites. Novel, Corvino, Piropos, Golden Ox solid. Noah's Cupboard in Weston is a really nice romantic escape but tiny. Have heard great things about Tailleur but haven't been. Clay and Fire is awesome and recommended but not really an upscale vibe.

Also FYI, current issue of KC Magazine is Top 40 Resturants:

https://kansascitymag.com/food/40-best- ... nsas-city/
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 am What type of food? Yes the peppercorn duck clubs of the world are gone and probably never returning
No particular genre. Never been to Peppercorn Duck Club. Never wanted to go.
brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:04 am Are u looking only on Open Table? All of the good restaurants have pretty much left open table and it's nothing but crappy chains on it now and Grunauer. Tock seems to have all the good KC restaurants now
Mostly just googling best place in KC for anniversary dinner or romantic dinner. Brings up a variety of restaurants but nothing new.
Cratedigger wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:33 am If you’re looking at Grunauers, I’d look at Affair too.

In addition to what BFA put up, Novel is good as is Clay & Fire. I’m sure you know La Bodega. I’ve heard good things about Town & Co but haven’t personally tried it yet.

I’m also personally a big fan of the Quaff’s steak night on Wed, but I get the impression that isn’t quite the vibe you’re going for!
Thanks. Novel was wonderful when it was on the West Side. Haven't tried the new restaurant. I've heard the food is as good but the ambience kind of sterile. Is Clay and Fire in the old Novel spot? Will look into Town and Co - have not heard of it before.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

For sure Novel. Corvino. Enzo. Does Gram & 'Dunn or Brown & Loe fit the bill? Prime Social. Stockhill. Affare. Farina. Plate (I'm not a fan but others seem to be). Not how sure far back we're looking for "new".

Old favorites still deserving a mention like Majestic. Le Fou Frog. Piropos. Extra Virgin.

I think some have popped up in JOCO like Story but I'm not too familiar with those.

I'm excited for Small Axe & Afi and open
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I wouldn't call these 'new', but adding to the list to check out if you haven't been:

The Russell
Fox and pearl
The Antler Room
Clay & Fire (yes, in old Novel spot in the Westide)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

oh yeah F&P. I knew I was missing one I was trying to think about. I need to try Antler again, I wasn't impressed but everyone else seems to be.

I'm pretty excited about our new slate of places, we knew with COVID there was going to be some attrition and a while to get back restarted.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:52 am For sure Novel. Corvino. Enzo. Does Gram & 'Dunn or Brown & Loe fit the bill? Prime Social. Stockhill. Affare. Farina. Plate (I'm not a fan but others seem to be). Not how sure far back we're looking for "new".

Old favorites still deserving a mention like Majestic. Le Fou Frog. Piropos. Extra Virgin.

I think some have popped up in JOCO like Story but I'm not too familiar with those.

I'm excited for Small Axe & Afi and open
Story is quite good. The chef is the old chef de cuisine at Extra Virgin. I was a line cook there for a short time and it's worth checking out.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:41 pm Having just returned to KC, my wife and I were looking for a nice place to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Seems like most places that came up via the typical searches we have been to before and a lot of the old standards are gone. Nothing all that compelling that is new. Any suggestions? Leaning towards Grunauers but open to suggestions. Anywhere in the metro would be game.
You have to put Paros Estiatorio on your list. I know, I know... you have to drive to Leawood but it's amazing and new. Ate there just the other night.

Same for Acre in Parkville and Verbena in PV... worth the drive.

I'll echo Town Company, Earl's Premier, Farina (get a table in the new gallery space!), Story, and Novel. Town Company wins for being the fussiest of the bunch, but it's certainly on another level -- plus you can hit Nighthawk after dinner.

Affare keeps things fresh with a tasting menu on the weekends and special prix fixe holiday menus!

Ocean Prime is overrated. Go to Eddie V's instead. Better food and the crowd is, um, different.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

1900 is pretty fantastic.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

taxi wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:11 pm 1900 is pretty fantastic.
Agreed! Good addition to the list.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anyone been to the new Golden Ox? It used to be an anniversary place many, many years ago. Not sure how they new version compares.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I agree with the masses here that we have a bunch of quality restaurants, but the original poster has a point that it's hard to know or find them. They don't exactly stand out. Alot of them I recognize but I only remembered after they were brought up here. I really think it would be beneficial if VisitKC made a new lsit of the quality restaurants in the urban core, and kept it updated.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:06 am I agree with the masses here that we have a bunch of quality restaurants, but the original poster has a point that it's hard to know or find them. They don't exactly stand out. Alot of them I recognize but I only remembered after they were brought up here. I really think it would be beneficial if VisitKC made a new lsit of the quality restaurants in the urban core, and kept it updated.
That is something locals and visitors alike would greatly benefit from, especially if they kept it updated annually.