Is KC's restaurant scene in a slump?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Is KC's restaurant scene in a slump?

Post by DaveKCMO »

I always check the main reservation apps everywhere I go, including dining out in KC: OpenTable, Tock, Resy.

Google is only good for a main survey.

Yelp is a wasteland.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:16 am

Yelp is a wasteland.
I stopped using yelp when they were forcing everyone to use the app, yelp has gone downhill, I'm surprised it still exists
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:14 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:06 am I agree with the masses here that we have a bunch of quality restaurants, but the original poster has a point that it's hard to know or find them. They don't exactly stand out. Alot of them I recognize but I only remembered after they were brought up here. I really think it would be beneficial if VisitKC made a new lsit of the quality restaurants in the urban core, and kept it updated.
That is something locals and visitors alike would greatly benefit from, especially if they kept it updated annually.
Who qualifies the list thought? I can only imagine the bitching and moaning by those left off.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:16 am I always check the main reservation apps everywhere I go, including dining out in KC: OpenTable, Tock, Resy.

Google is only good for a main survey.

Yelp is a wasteland.
problem with just going to OpenTable is a lot of restaurants pulled down their reservations from the app because those cost more. They still use OpenTable but you have to get to their reservations from their site. I forget about a lot of places when I'm looking for a reservation due to this. Farina and Extra Virgin are both this way.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

You need a folder on your home screen that has all three!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I miss Charles Ferruzza's reviews in The Pitch.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:02 pm I miss Charles Ferruzza's reviews in The Pitch.
Information overload combined with unreliable quality makes it hard for me to try new places.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:04 pm Information overload combined with unreliable quality makes it hard for me to try new places.
You don't trust us?!?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

UMKC Roo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:06 am I agree with the masses here that we have a bunch of quality restaurants, but the original poster has a point that it's hard to know or find them. They don't exactly stand out. Alot of them I recognize but I only remembered after they were brought up here. I really think it would be beneficial if VisitKC made a new lsit of the quality restaurants in the urban core, and kept it updated.
Yea - didn't mean to imply KC didn't have great restaurants, it's just been difficult to find the newer ones and get a good idea of the quality. The suggestions and links on this thread have been very helpful. Regardless of where we spend our anniversary, we will absolutely get up to Clay and Fire and several others mentioned here.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I miss the lounge at bluestem so much sometimes. I assume the Garrelts are doing good with Rye--and Rye is good!--but the price/performance ratio of the bluestem lounge, especially when happy hours were half price, was just unreal.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

mean wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:37 pm I miss the lounge at bluestem so much sometimes. I assume the Garrelts are doing good with Rye--and Rye is good!--but the price/performance ratio of the bluestem lounge, especially when happy hours were half price, was just unreal.
What is the upscale Chinese place that took over Bluestem called? Anyone try it?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:59 pm What is the upscale Chinese place that took over Bluestem called? Anyone try it?
Chewology. One of the worst names for a restaurant. Right up there with Black Dirt.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

taxi wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:21 pm Chewology. One of the worst names for a restaurant. Right up there with Black Dirt.
That is bad. I did see that it was very full when I walked by last weekend. Must be good?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:37 pm
taxi wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:21 pm Chewology. One of the worst names for a restaurant. Right up there with Black Dirt.
That is bad. I did see that it was very full when I walked by last weekend. Must be good?
The first couple times I went, I really liked it. Then had a mediocre experience, though I won't hold it against them. They have some interesting Asian-inspired cocktails and happy hour is not a bad deal.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:23 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:41 pm Having just returned to KC, my wife and I were looking for a nice place to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Seems like most places that came up via the typical searches we have been to before and a lot of the old standards are gone. Nothing all that compelling that is new. Any suggestions? Leaning towards Grunauers but open to suggestions. Anywhere in the metro would be game.
You have to put Paros Estiatorio on your list. I know, I know... you have to drive to Leawood but it's amazing and new. Ate there just the other night.

Same for Acre in Parkville and Verbena in PV... worth the drive.

I'll echo Town Company, Earl's Premier, Farina (get a table in the new gallery space!), Story, and Novel. Town Company wins for being the fussiest of the bunch, but it's certainly on another level -- plus you can hit Nighthawk after dinner.

Affare keeps things fresh with a tasting menu on the weekends and special prix fixe holiday menus!

Ocean Prime is overrated. Go to Eddie V's instead. Better food and the crowd is, um, different.
Thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up at Grunauer's as our kids were in town and they love the place although I prefer Affare myself. I since have found that KC Eats on Facebook (group) is another good source of info but they don't allow negative reviews so hard to get a well rounded view of any retaurant.

Paros Estiatorio is on our list for sure. Their menu looks good and I am extremely curious as to why Kebabs for Two should cost $187 ???? I know inflation has been bad but WTF.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Not necessarily a suggestion, but tried Enzo in City Market (former Bo Lings spot) recently and enjoyed it. It's basically Ragazza with a smattering of Greek/mediterranean options (Moussaka, Avgolimino soup, swordfish, etc.).

Could use a bit more atmosphere as the space is a little plain, though I'm excited for the massive patios come spring/summer under the City Market sign. Bo Lings (or Bo Lings patrons) never really took advantage of those.

It was also absolutely packed (and loud), an encouraging sign for a new spot in City Market.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Town Company chef nominated for James Beard -- and not just in the Midwest category:

https://www.jamesbeard.org/blog/the-202 ... ifinalists#
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

7 semifinalists! Ya love to see it. I think we had 2 last year?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Drastic Measures is well deserved.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Only two area nominees moved on as finalists - Yoli and Drastic Measures.