Yellow Freight moves headquarters

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Yellow Freight moves headquarters

Post by ericwyner »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm I heard about this awhile ago and I don’t think they’re moving hardly any employees, it’s just the top people going to Nashville. The base of employees still stays here.
with remote work, does it even matter where the HQ is anymore?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

ericwyner wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:22 am
UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm I heard about this awhile ago and I don’t think they’re moving hardly any employees, it’s just the top people going to Nashville. The base of employees still stays here.
with remote work, does it even matter where the HQ is anymore?
I think it's kind of important for the airport, the reason why STL has a flight to Frankfurt is due to corporations not leisure travel
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:18 am Cities need to be able to make public improvements without relying on the shear luck of having Rich Uncle Pennybags as a resident, or Benevolence INC as a dominant employer
Ok yes but those dominant employers have an outsized impact on the regional economy. They can drive mean industry earnings in a region and help drive philanthropy in the area. For instance, corporate foundations with large endowments offer more stable donor support compared to individual giving, especially in times of recession.

Also, I’m not sure how to quantify it but there’s a certain prestige to the amount of F1000 HQ’s in an area. It is certainly used by cities to attract businesses and talent. Getting to say they have gained an HQ that ranks among the 10 largest (by 2021 rev) publicly traded businesses based in the area is a win for Nashville.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is a secondary reason that big headquarters are important. Having many headquarters in your city also feeds a sub-system of other local businesses like law firms, commercial real estate firms, accounting and auditing firms, financial institutions, marketing and advertising agencies, business consulting firms, architecture and interior design businesses, as well as office furniture vendors, office supply, paper and envelope distributors, computer and software sales, graphic design and printing companies, mass mailing services, record storage firms, security, and food and beverage vendors (for cafeterias).
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

FangKC wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:41 am There is a secondary reason that big headquarters are important. Having many headquarters in your city also feeds a sub-system of other local businesses like law firms, commercial real estate firms, accounting and auditing firms, financial institutions, marketing and advertising agencies, business consulting firms, architecture and interior design businesses, as well as office furniture vendors, office supply, paper and envelope distributors, computer and software sales, graphic design and printing companies, mass mailing services, record storage firms, security, and food and beverage vendors (for cafeterias).
Yep. NW Arkansas is prime example of what you are describing. I was really surprised how many large companies have offices in the area because of Walmart.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I'm not sure my point came across in this thread. I'm saying cities shouldn't need to rely on shear philanthropy to provide public and institutional improvements. For instance, the Kauffman PAC was donations (plus city built garage, but still) and I have to wonder, if these donors didn't live in KC, would the performing arts still be stuck in the old Lyric Theater all these years later? Would the KC area not be deserving a new performing art center just because it lacks a few specific people?

Same with universities. Does KC not deserve a top level university just because it's a few billionaires short?

Anyways, this is probably too broad a topic for the Yellow Freight thread but it's just something that stands out to me in these discussions
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

You are right to ask the question TLG.

We have just learned that our area senators secured millions in funding to build hospital facilities on Hospital Hill and KU Medical Center. That is federal money, and some of that money comes from taxpayers in what are considered "donor states." These are states whose residents pay normally more taxes than they get back from the federal government. These states usually are New York, California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Minnesota, and Massachusetts.

Missouri and Kansas have historically gotten back more money from the federal government than their taxpayers paid to it.

So more than $50 billion in federal dollars flowed to our region in the requests. This while Missouri's state government already is sitting on around a $4 billion surplus, and a lot of that money came from the federal government as well. I believe Kansas has a surplus as well.

Two questions here. Shouldn't the states be granting that money for hospital expansions with money they already have, and not from additional federal outlays?

Secondly, shouldn't these hospital expansions be paid for mostly from state and local funds since it's local people who benefit from and use them? Shouldn't our tax dollars pay for such things instead of hoping a rich person will take mercy on the plebs and donate money to get a building named after them?

Same with universities.