Downtown recovery

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Downtown recovery

Post by earthling »

Found this that shows recovery of downtowns based on mobile phone usage compared to 2019. It hasn't been updated since last May but does show downtown KC 53% recovered as of May, slightly below average of 60 cities listed. Hopefully this will be updated more regularly.
https://www.downtownrecovery.com/dashbo ... nking.html

Downtown streetcar ridership showed 65% recovery in May compared to 2019 and about 75-80% recovery last couple months...
https://kcstreetcar.org/about-streetcar/ridership/
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Downtown recovery

Post by dukuboy1 »

until more business within downtown require more ppl to be onsite the "recovery" will continue to lag. I have no issue with WFH but I think 100% WFH should be limited to some roles and more specifically individuals that can show sustained responsibility and productivity.

Personally I enjoy the flexibility to WFH as needed, especially for those with kids and may need to adjust on the fly when a kid is sick, etc. However I support more of a hybrid model where employees are onsite at least 3 days a week and 2 they can WFH or stay in the office if they like. But adapt a schedule like that where it encourages interpersonal interactions again with working with people in person. Still flexible enough to let ppl choose the days they want to be in the office and WFH. But there is a lot of value in being in the office, and I think we are reaching that point where companies are starting to see this and looking for positive ways to have a nice balance.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Hybrid office use is likely here to stay but hard to say to what degree and it will probably vary by market. Cerner putting 3M sqft of space on market might make it harder for downtown to draw more office employment.

The first measurement above based on mobile phones is lower than I expected for KC even for May given that many downtown residential units have opened up since 2019. Events/biz travelers have returned to somewhat higher degree since May, which is probably reflected in the streetcar ridership numbers as well but I looked at Pollstar events for KCMO (most downtown/midtown) and still notably lower than past - about 1/3 below normal-. Would like to see regular updates on the first link, seems to be a valid approach.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The draw to "place" for offices seems stronger though so not sure Cerner's space is much of a competitor except for those who simply want a lot of space as cheap as possible.

Interesting use of data to measure recoverability. I'm also not sure ever getting "back" to 100% is the only measure of success.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC office using employment is also below 2019 and below US avg so also needs to pickup. Given economy of a district tends to be proportional to number of bodies on the streets, getting people back to and exceeding 2019 is probably relevant. But it could be any path.. more residents, returning office, more events, etc. Would be good to bring back more big events like Spirit Fest and Reggae Fest. A summer fest up to 2 weeks similar to Milwaukee's could help.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I really think the biggest issues holding DT growth back are outside of the council/mayors hands. Crime and education are holding back family residents in the urban core and DT. These are controlled by the state (KCPD) and school district. We can still add residents, but without showing the environment is safe and a viable place to raise a family, the upside growth is limited. The largest demographic (and richest) are families. Have to start moving to attract them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

What is the methodology of that cell phone data? For example as we mentioned more downtown residents and if we assume many of them are part of the hybrid workforce, them being downtown more than 2019 (many commuted out to jobs) could be adding to those numbers more than one would want to measure recoverability (in whatever form of success one measures that)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I see what you mean because if it's only snapshots of lunchtime it wouldn't count residents that commute out to work.

Here's the methodology and it's not clear on time periods, but it does mention 'all periods'. And it mentions weekly with no mention of weekdays so appears to cover full week averages, not clear. For KC it's only 64105/6, so no Xroads/CC.
https://www.downtownrecovery.com/dashbo ... pages.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah definitely should have 64108 in there. Nothing is perfect, I'm sure there are odd things like that in all metros
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Two tower cranes up now downtown. Perhaps we get to 3 soon.

https://twitter.com/chris_stritzel/stat ... 0865040486
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:51 pm Two tower cranes up now downtown. Perhaps we get to 3 soon.

Potentially we end up with 4 up at the same time if Hyatt House restarts soon.

The next crane to go up is for LuxLiving’s project on Broadway
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:01 pm
UMKC Roo wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:51 pm Two tower cranes up now downtown. Perhaps we get to 3 soon.

Which seems to finally be picking up steam!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:01 pm Potentially we end up with 4 up at the same time if Hyatt House restarts soon.

I floated the idea a few years ago for the city to incentivize purchase of additional tower cranes for area construction companies. In the past, there's been delays in building due to shortage of cranes which could also drive up the price of construction. Might spur some additional development to offer a one-time pitch-in for a crane. Having extra capacity would push additional builds.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

What about City Harvest? Are they gonna require a tower crane?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

UMKC Roo wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:12 pm

What about City Harvest? Are they gonna require a tower crane?
Of course it'll get a tower crane, but the project has yet to be approved by the FAA, Planning Commission and the City Council. At this rate, I don't see construction starting on it in the first half of 2023.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

19th and Broadway? Is this the project with the Ferris wheel? How many floors? I just see the number of apartments on their announcement (228).

Thanks!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Highlander wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:06 pm

19th and Broadway? Is this the project with the Ferris wheel? How many floors? I just see the number of apartments on their announcement (228).

Thanks!
Correct. 19th and Broadway is LuxLiving's project known as "Wonderland". Project details can be found here for the 215 unit project (https://livinglux.co/wonderland-property-page). This is not associated with the Ferris wheel project.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You'll barely be able to see City Harvest crane if you aren't right there. The elevation change from there to even 6th street is crazy.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:39 pm You'll barely be able to see City Harvest crane if you aren't right there. The elevation change from there to even 6th street is crazy.
Maybe, if you never cross the river
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Updating this thread with data from this summer. As of May KC was the 46th metro out of 62 in USA and Canada when measuring downtown recovery.