New Development on 39th st?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: New Development on 39th st?

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looking forward to seeing how this one looks. Sounds significant
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

This guy's family has real estate roots in KC.

https://hickok.biz/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Dible Tudors are legendary.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I have looked at that lot many times over the last couple years of living in the neighborhood thinking about what kind of development could/should happen there. Might stop by the meeting.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

On another note, a lot of general W 39th Street talk get tossed over to the thread under KC Scene so it's good to have a general 39th Street thread more oriented to housing/development because I think we'll be seeing more of it in the next few years.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Fountains wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:01 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:22 pm On another note, a lot of general W 39th Street talk get tossed over to the thread under KC Scene so it's good to have a general 39th Street thread more oriented to housing/development because I think we'll be seeing more of it in the next few years.
Do you know what happened with that project that was supposed to be built where the empty car wash is?
The one at 629-631 W 39th, next to the auto upholster? No. I don't have any knowledge of a proposal for that site. Maybe you can tell me what was in the cards and when you last heard talk of it?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There was supposed to be a 46 unit apartment building on the car wash site by FFV Development (I'm not sure if they have ever actually developed anything), the same group behind a proposal at 3260 Main St. They were granted a tax abatement by LCRA in October of 2017. The project on 39th seemed to go away pretty quickly and it looks like they sold that land in August of 2018.

The development for 3260 Main lingered around for a while longer, and it looks like the same "developer" still owns the land. However, everything has been quiet with no apparent movement. Hopefully the Exact development adjacent to this site will cause something to happen, even if it is just a sale of the property to someone else.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Farhad Azima is FFV. Very interesting guy. Very interesting backstory

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-ha ... SL1N2YG2PB
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Here's that 39th Street development in question.
https://youtu.be/csHEsX4t__8?t=145
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:22 pm On another note, a lot of general W 39th Street talk get tossed over to the thread under KC Scene so it's good to have a general 39th Street thread more oriented to housing/development because I think we'll be seeing more of it in the next few years.
Do you know what happened with that project that was supposed to be built where the empty car wash is?
The last I heard of it the residents to the south on 39th St Ter as well as those from Valentine north of 39th AND Historic KC were opposing the development because it was too tall, too dense, would bring too much traffic and would have rents too high for the area :roll:

Regarding the proposal on Roanoke Rd/39th:
Until a few months ago I was a resident of Volker South, at 40th/Roanoke. There has been a VERY vocal section of the neighborhood (both north and south of 39th) that has been against ANY new multi-family residential because people who have been in the area for a long time are getting priced out of their $600/month apartments. They hate the building on State Line where Panera is because it doesn't fit in the neighborhood and is too expensive...even if it replaced an old Pizza Hut building and surface lot. They were against razing and redeveloping into residential the strip north of Rm 39, against Jamestown Square and they'll be against just about anything that includes market-rate rental rates.
Petty crime has been rampant in the area, as well as homelessness and drug/prostitution activity in the parks. Residents don't seem to see a correlation between development of empty lots, increased (more affluent) residential population and decreased street crime.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

kcjak wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:06 am
The last I heard of it the residents to the south on 39th St Ter as well as those from Valentine north of 39th AND Historic KC were opposing the development because it was too tall, too dense, would bring too much traffic and would have rents too high for the area :roll:

Regarding the proposal on Roanoke Rd/39th:
Until a few months ago I was a resident of Volker South, at 40th/Roanoke. There has been a VERY vocal section of the neighborhood (both north and south of 39th) that has been against ANY new multi-family residential because people who have been in the area for a long time are getting priced out of their $600/month apartments. They hate the building on State Line where Panera is because it doesn't fit in the neighborhood and is too expensive...even if it replaced an old Pizza Hut building and surface lot. They were against razing and redeveloping into residential the strip north of Rm 39, against Jamestown Square and they'll be against just about anything that includes market-rate rental rates.
Petty crime has been rampant in the area, as well as homelessness and drug/prostitution activity in the parks. Residents don't seem to see a correlation between development of empty lots, increased (more affluent) residential population and decreased street crime.
We must have been very close neighbors. Yeah the neighbors are in general either against the market rate because they see themselves as priced out if they are renters, or against the density and the perceived parking and traffic problems, if they are owners. Kind of a sticky spot as far as the public input is concerned in Volker. Indeed, Roanoke Park is in a tough spot with it's resident population and the problems that entails. Just last week there were shots fired basically on the spot of this proposed project. Never did get updated on whether anyone was hurt or killed. In two years around 40th and Roanoke there have been two very serious shootings one resulting in death and another in injury, plus other assorted shots fired incidents, and my wife had a couple hard reminders to lock her car.

I hope future projects are more respectful of the neighborhood in quality and form than the Panera building. That thing already looks like a piece of sun bleached garbage. I hope the benefits of more neighbors will be made evident with Jamestown Square project. IF anyone plans to attend the meeting would you please photograph any materials and maybe write up a little summary here? It looks like I will be unable to make it.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The plans don't look bad. It reminds me of the Crossroads Hampton Inn mixed with the project with Panera at 39th and State Line.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Thanks for the material, Chris. Parking ratio low enough to be acceptable though I die to see 1:1 or sub 1:1. And I like that the project does not result in a curb cut on 39th, though the location at the funky intersection makes that impossible anyways. Also the outdoor space for every, or almost every unit is nice. The 39th and State Line building only has Juliet balconies and the stucco and cinder block just looks like absolute shit. This presents a much nicer look. I'd be interested to know what the pricing on these units is but this project should absolutely go ahead.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Maybe we could streamline the title of this thread to the address or name of just this specific project or change it to "Volker Neighborhood Development" or "W. 39th Street Environs."
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Fountains wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:46 pm
I'm in the Volker neighborhood page on Facebook too. If I recall I believe the development on Stateline even made a deal not to tear down some of the older properties.

I don't get the obsession with that parking lot it sucks when it's crowded and sucks when it isn't crowded. When it rains it turns into a pond.

They did agree to preserve one sixplex and build around it. I think it was a nice concession in good faith that makes the neighborhood and their property more attractive and scaled. Tearing down that sixplex was my only reservation and after they agreed to keep it I spoke several times in favor of the project. Agreed, that surface lot was an eyesore and what's coming will be a lot better for the hood.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Moving from SE Volker to N Volker (friends call us "boogie b@tches" lol) and living in the neighborhood as a whole for more than a decade now, I'm absolutely ALL for a project like this at this corner. I guess my only real gripe with it, is it looks out of place. I would like to see something more in character with the neighborhood. Use of brick and stone would go a long way to make this project fit. Just my thoughts...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

FWIW the house directly across Roanoke to the west (the old ROCA/Simply Grooming spot) is for sale - would be nice to see another residential building to bookend that corner. I've heard the small Loretto parking lot on the SE corner is in play for development. Is the house between Meshuggah and the Simply Grooming house still targeted for a dispensary?

Sidenote: Mia Jamison was sentenced yesterday to three years in prison/3 years probation for hiring an undercover ATF agent to burn down the building across from Rm 39 (Bob Wasabi et al) in 2019 for insurance money.
https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/gladsto ... duct-arson
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Interesting note about the Lorettoo’s southeast parking lot. I’ve been thinking the Loretto’s Mercier St. frontage could be made to work as a townhouse project, not that that’s coming from anywhere but my own head.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

There was a proposal many moons ago for new construction on Loretto's Mercier frontage. I believe neighborhood opposition may have helped kill that (although I'm not sure if that was the only factor). I believe the Loretto has changed hands a couple times since then and is now owned by everyone's favorite, Del Hedgepath.