KC Spirit Playbook

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

KC Spirit Playbook

Post by Cratedigger »

KCMO City Planning and Development is updating the FOCUS Kansas City Plan that was adopted in 1997. As they do this, it looks like they're asking for help setting development priorities for the next 20 years. Drafts of Playbook objectives are being released over the coming weeks.

The plan will be used to inform public improvement funding decisions, other public investment decisions as well as to guide land use decisions being made by the City Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Adjustment and our Economic Development agencies.

What would you hope the city makes a priority over the next 20 years?

https://playbook.kcmo.gov/
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: KC Spirit Playbook

Post by Chris Stritzel »

My hope is the city makes removing suburban style development along high-capacity transit corridors in favor of dense usages a priority. This would help repopulate the core and shift the center of population back to where it once was instead of throwing people out into the suburbs.

Another hope of mine is that the city moves to redesign some of the major thoroughfares in the city to be more welcoming to pedestrians. I have two ideas that seem the easiest, but not sure if this is appropriate for this thread or not, but a focus on making the city more friendly to pedestrians is needed.

Branching off of that point, a greater focus on protected bike lanes, wider sidewalks, and shade trees are all necessary components.

As the city continues to expand onto farmland within the city limits (the strangest thing I've ever seen), zoning should be changed to promote areas of high density and street grids. This does not mean banning single-family zoning city-wide, but it does mean adjusting maximum lot sizes and placing special zoning zones where single-family zoning can be banned. Create new neighborhood centers in an urban fashion with shops, restaurants, and small offices at street level and residential and office space above. Surround these nodes of activity with urban style housing. This is really the only way to justify continued "suburban in the city" growth. Have to do it smart and do it to last to where it can sustain itself and not shift funds from other parts of the city.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: KC Spirit Playbook

Post by Cratedigger »

Examining parking minimums included as one of the objectives the site is looking for feedback on. Some neat ideas in here imo.
https://playbook.kcmo.gov/objective-par ... management

Would highly encourage people to take a look at this site and provide feedback through the survey.