Charlie Wheeler R.I.P.

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Charlie Wheeler R.I.P.

Post by moderne »

The great mayor and civic booster dead at age 96.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Charlie Wheeler R.I.P.

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Definitely one of the better mayors of KC.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Sad news

https://fox4kc.com/news/former-kansas-c ... ies-at-96/

I last saw Mayor Wheeler about two years ago in Westport. He was still talkative and alert, although he was didn't exit his vehicle. Until today, KC had the longest chain of living mayors of any major city in the US -- all mayors were alive going back to 1971, 51 years ago.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

condolences to his family & friends. He was a good mayor for KC. Good leader, smart man, was a leader during a golden age of sorts for KC development, KCI, Crown Center, TSC, all occurred under his tenure. Hopefully future leaders will/can learn from him and instill the values, skill, and acumen her brought to the city.

Sadly I do not know if politics will that to happen any more
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

herrfrank wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:31 pm Sad news

I last saw Mayor Wheeler about two years ago in Westport. He was still talkative and alert, although he was didn't exit his vehicle. Until today, KC had the longest chain of living mayors of any major city in the US -- all mayors were alive going back to 1971, 51 years ago.
I didn't realize he ran for mayor again in 2011 (did not make it through primaries). Ran for Missouri governor in 2016. His lists of accomplishments in life despite not winning those two races (and a senate race) is still very impressive.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Also of note -- Westport HS Class of 1943. My aunt in Dallas was in class of '44, I'll ask her for some early "Charlie" stories...
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Highlander wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:05 pm
herrfrank wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:31 pm Sad news

I didn't realize he ran for mayor again in 2011 (did not make it through primaries). Ran for Missouri governor in 2016. His lists of accomplishments in life despite not winning those two races (and a senate race) is still very impressive.
Lol

Funkhouser was so bad he shook Charlie out of retirement
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Wheeler was also responsible for bringing the 1976 GOP Presidential Convention to Kansas City and lobbying the Missouri Legislature to create a medical school in Kansas City that contributed to the growth of Hospital Hill, the construction of Truman Medical Center, Bartle Hall, and Kemper Arena. Worlds of Fun also was built in KC during his term.

He was Jackson County coroner and a Jackson County judge before becoming mayor. After being mayor, he served as a Missouri state senator for the 10th District. He also ran for Jackson County Executive and Missouri State Treasurer but lost those races.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The Star says he pitched a KC-St. Louis bullet train along with a St. Louis Worlds Fair in 2004 and Olympics with venues in both towns in 2026.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:04 am The Star says he pitched a KC-St. Louis bullet train along with a St. Louis Worlds Fair in 2004 and Olympics with venues in both towns in 2026.
2036 Summer Games hosted at Arrowhead, Arrowhead 2.0, Lawrence Memorial, and CMH 2.0?

Water sports at the Ozarks

Volleyball at Berkley Riverfront
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Mayor Wheeler loved the Worlds Fair concept. Lots of that generation did. My Father who was Westport Class of 1945, had that same "bug." He and my Mother _drove_ from KC to both the NY Worlds Fair (for its 2d season) in 1965 and the Seattle Worlds Fair in 1962. During COVID, I scanned lots of borderline-hilarious pics of both. Dad was friendly with Mayor Wheeler, and a recurring conversation was getting a Worlds Fair in KC (these discussions took place back in the 1970s mostly at the Pam-Pam West in the Alameda Plaza -- an OTT 1970s watering hole masquerading as a family coffee shop).