Possible plans for redevelopment of the Adams Mark Hotel

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Possible plans for redevelopment of the Adams Mark Hotel

Post by GRID »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 2022-10-20

Looks like people are actually thinking about doing something with this place before the World Cup. I hope so. That hotel looks bad now, so it will look a lot worse in 2026.

I really hope the tower is not torn down though. The idea of just tearing it down and turning into another sports complex is stupid. There is already plenty of that in metro KC and something like that could be built anywhere on some other under used site.

The idea of keeping the tower and building up the area into a mixed used residential development makes sense though. It's a prominant building in what is otherwise a very odd halfway developed area. It would suck to loose that structure especially since it's still totally viable for residential/hotel uses.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Possible plans for redevelopment of the Adams Mark Hotel

Post by shinatoo »

I worked there in 2001. It was dump then, fostered by years of neglect by the Adams Mark cooperation. The owner got loans based on promises of investing in the property and then got sued for not investing anything. Plus it's really a poorly designed property. Restaurant layouts are weird. The rooms they added with the convention space are really confusing to get to. Not near enough elevators in the central tower. Used to have 15-minute waits when we were full.

The summer I was there the AC failed in the convention wing and they wouldn't fix it until the next winter when he could get a discounted price. We had to tie into the tower cooling and the whole property would never get below 85 on hot days. We had some very unhappy bridal parties. And everyone else.

Then it sold and they put in Coco Key, which I assume was a disaster. The last owner didn't have any capital to invest either.

The property is big enough that they could put up a couple of towers. But a teardown would probably be the best. Otherwise, it will need a total gut and reno.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I understand it needs a total gut and reno, but the structure is likely fine. Especially if converted to residential since the elevator demand would be lower. If it's torn down, I bet a million bucks it either stays vacant land or it's developed with low density crap like a QuikTrip or something. There will be no new "towers" build there.

I just like to see things build "up" not degraded to lower development. That area already has enough of that and it's kind of embarrassing for the stadium area since a lot of visitors see those areas.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I recall reading somewhere that the City was looking into buying it for emergency housing for homeless residents. I haven't heard anything recently though, so maybe they passed on it.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:52 am I recall reading somewhere that the City was looking into buying it for emergency housing for homeless residents. I haven't heard anything recently though, so maybe they passed on it.
I suspect the World Cup changed their mind.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I agree. I think it should just be turned back into a mid-level hotel of some kind. Renovate it and turn into like A Holiday Inn or something not fancy. We need it for WC, it wouldn't be that expensive relatively, and then it could be later converted into housing after.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:26 am I agree. I think it should just be turned back into a mid-level hotel of some kind. Renovate it and turn into like A Holiday Inn or something not fancy. We need it for WC, it wouldn't be that expensive relatively, and then it could be later converted into housing after.
I think it could even remain a hotel longer term. The location is actually fine for such a hotel, but it seems like the people that have run that hotel recently have run it into the ground.

If the city and county ever clean up the general TSC area, I think a mid range hotel flag would do fine there. That area of KC is so ghetto now though and that includes all the infrastructure of the area, not just the land uses. Even the bridges over 70 look like shit for them being next to one of KC's most visited sites. Then you go down to suburban St Louis and see nice interstate overpasses all over the place.

I guess I'm saying the area feels run down to a random traveler. That could be improved.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Better Lodging maybe Resort with Restaruants,Water Park,Weddings,Sports like Pickle Ball and so on.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

GRID wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:51 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:26 am I agree. I think it should just be turned back into a mid-level hotel of some kind. Renovate it and turn into like A Holiday Inn or something not fancy. We need it for WC, it wouldn't be that expensive relatively, and then it could be later converted into housing after.
I think it could even remain a hotel longer term. The location is actually fine for such a hotel, but it seems like the people that have run that hotel recently have run it into the ground.

If the city and county ever clean up the general TSC area, I think a mid range hotel flag would do fine there. That area of KC is so ghetto now though and that includes all the infrastructure of the area, not just the land uses. Even the bridges over 70 look like shit for them being next to one of KC's most visited sites. Then you go down to suburban St Louis and see nice interstate overpasses all over the place.

I guess I'm saying the area feels run down to a random traveler. That could be improved.
Totally agree. The hotel may have had its misses, but the terrible surrounding area really dragged it down.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Once the Royals formally announce their move downtown, the city should proactively rezone the entire area for mixed use and slap down a TDD overlay to reconstruct the hostile environment and MoDOT interchange. That would tell the private sector they're serious.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

agree the area is run down and could use some improvements. Would love to see some overpasses along I-70 that are more styled like the ones in STL through the I64 corridor. I realize the interstates run through 2 completely different types of areas but something like that would look nice, even along I35 as well. Bruce R Watkins is maybe the closest thing we have to I64 in terms of an interstate running through the middle of the city
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:00 pm agree the area is run down and could use some improvements. Would love to see some overpasses along I-70 that are more styled like the ones in STL through the I64 corridor. I realize the interstates run through 2 completely different types of areas but something like that would look nice, even along I35 as well. Bruce R Watkins is maybe the closest thing we have to I64 in terms of an interstate running through the middle of the city
I'm not even talking about 64 which I agree is very nice. It just seems like any new highway project down there anywhere in metro StL is built at a much higher tier than anything in metro KC (on the MO side). On the MO side of KC, the highway interchanges etc are super bare bones basic low budget stuff. And this is brand new construction or refurbs.

At least try just a tad bit harder in the area where 3 million people a year visit. And this is just as much a local problem as it is a MoDot problem. MoDot would likely build bare bones shit in metro StL if the counties and cities around StL cared as little as they do in the KC area. Instead they get involved and force projects to be built to a higher quality, similar to what happens in Johnson County with Kdot.

It's just depressing as hell driving around nearly all of the largest county in the KC Metro. Most of the infrastructure in Jackson County is either dated or worn out or has not been improved in decades or it's brand new ultra bare bones built to the lowest budget possible. And that has an effect on the area's image, potential eco development etc.

I mean come on. The city, county and state have had 50 years to build up even the most basic infrastructure around the stadiums such as proper lighting, landscaping, sidewalks etc.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree with you, Interstates with Jackson county are very bare ones, no design to them at all, and that is the case for most of the metro. As mentioned the only exceptions are Bruce R Watkins from downtown to Cleaver Blvd, then again up North along 169 past 152 there are some "nicer" over passes but overall in the entire metro it is very basic and bare bones as you mentioned. Not to mention a lot of graffiti and general trash along the way. Plus road conditions themselves. Just odd how we have a lot of these type of cosmetic issues compared to other cities around and general road maintenance.

Not sure if we rely on MODOT more than others or how it, or if we just have so many more miles to maintain. But I would like to see improvements if possible on design and aesthetics where possible and the other issues of clean up and maintenance can be its own thing.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

New Buck O'Neil Bridge comes to mind.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I recall reading something recently where the City complained to MDOT about failure to clean up litter along interstates and under bridges.
Last edited by FangKC on Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:24 pm I recall reading something recently where the City complained to MDOT about not failure to clean up litter along interstates and under bridges.
I’ve definitely seen Q tweet about this

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/k ... e-highways
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dukuboy1 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:06 am I agree with you, Interstates with Jackson county are very bare ones, no design to them at all, and that is the case for most of the metro. As mentioned the only exceptions are Bruce R Watkins from downtown to Cleaver Blvd, then again up North along 169 past 152 there are some "nicer" over passes but overall in the entire metro it is very basic and bare bones as you mentioned. Not to mention a lot of graffiti and general trash along the way. Plus road conditions themselves. Just odd how we have a lot of these type of cosmetic issues compared to other cities around and general road maintenance.

Not sure if we rely on MODOT more than others or how it, or if we just have so many more miles to maintain. But I would like to see improvements if possible on design and aesthetics where possible and the other issues of clean up and maintenance can be its own thing.
It's because Jackson County leadership is just so bad. They don't care what MoDot does or if they even do anything at all most of the time. They are totally hands off. Jackson County acts like it doesn't have a local government at all. They do almost nothing at all with regards to long term planning etc like any normal metropolitan county would do. And the cities are not much better although Lee's Summit and Blue Springs are much better than KCMO and Independence at getting involved and even partially funding projects so they are not typical bare MoDot bare bones crap.

If Jackson County had any sort of leadership, the Truman Sports Complex area would not be so ghetto looking, I-70 and all the interchanges in the county would not look so drab and dated and the county would have put together some sort of county organized/funded transit plan by now. It's like the county has zero interest in improving itself. It's always been that way.
ZachIsHere
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ZachIsHere »

I pass this building 8 to 10 times a week and I am in awe of how terrible it looks. Can't believe any kind of entity let it degrade into that state what a bummer.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

The indoor pools are going to become a indoor pickleball courts.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes Independence needs some.