500 foot mixed use tower considered for downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

500 foot mixed use tower considered for downtown

Post by earthling »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... raper.html
GDC Financial Group LLC in May asked the Federal Aviation Administration to complete an obstruction evaluation for a mixed-use high-rise on much of the block bounded north to south by Interstate 670 and 17th Street, and west to east by Washington Street and Broadway.
The FAA filings reflect a building ranging between 495 and 521 feet tall. The applications also reveal a parking garage that would extend 85 to 108 feet high to the building's south. The FAA evaluates new buildings above certain heights in the vicinity of the Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport.
If allowed, the proposed skyscraper would rank as the third-tallest building in Kansas City — behind One Kansas City Place at 624 feet and Town Pavilion at 591 feet — and sixth-tallest statewide, ahead of the 504-foot-tall Sheraton Kansas City Hotel at Crown Center.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 500 foot mixed use tower proposed for downtown

Post by Chris Stritzel »

That's what I initially posted in the 1650 Broadway thread a few months back, then deleted because I was told by a few to take it down.

My map with applications: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

Thread that should be merged: viewtopic.php?p=640567&hilit=1650+broadway#p640567
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 500 foot mixed use tower considered for downtown

Post by Eon Blue »

That car storage should be accessed from Washington or we riot.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Very very exciting!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Eon Blue wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:15 pm That car storage should be accessed from Washington or we riot.
1650 Broadway did just that with a drop off driveway and lobbies/retail on Broadway.

The Kauffman Foundation retains design approval rights.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don't mean to be that guy...but isn't this kind of a weird spot to blend in a tower this big to the skyline?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:37 pm I don't mean to be that guy...but isn't this kind of a weird spot to blend in a tower this big to the skyline?
A byproduct of economics, availability, land use plans, QOZ's, highways, etc.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:03 pm That's what I initially posted in the 1650 Broadway thread a few months back, then deleted because I was told by a few to take it down.

My map with applications: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... sp=sharing

Thread that should be merged: viewtopic.php?p=640567&hilit=1650+broadway#p640567
Curious why this location instead of the PACs land on the other side (Wyandotte) or other empty lots closer in? Would tie better to the Crossroads. Not going to complain though. High rise builds sometimes start a construction war to see who’s CEOs tower is taller.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:46 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:03 pm That's what I initially posted in the 1650 Broadway thread a few months back, then deleted because I was told by a few to take it down.

Curious why this location instead of the PACs land on the other side (Wyandotte) or other empty lots closer in? Would tie better to the Crossroads. Not going to complain though. High rise builds sometimes start a construction war to see who’s CEOs tower is taller.
QOZ was a contributing factor for the proceeding development plan.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

What is QOZ?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

We literally heard from someone on here less than a month ago that we wouldn't see a building that tall in "15-20 years" lol...works like a charm. Not the first time that's happened.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:51 pm What is QOZ?
Something Opportunity Zone. From what I found, it includes an incentive for investors.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:05 pm We literally heard from someone on here less than a month ago that we wouldn't see a building that tall in "15-20 years" lol...works like a charm. Not the first time that's happened.
I'll wait until it's completed to gloat but I'm with you.
The partners hope to redevelop the site in advance of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.
Yes please
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I do not trust this article especially about height. They did not even get the correct height of a building that been there for forty years. The Sheraton is more like 425 feet tall. Sure a weird location for such a tower. Most would not really call it downtown. The Liberty Memorial skyline view would become asymetric and this tower would appear dominant on the skyline being 3 blocks south of any other 400 foot + building.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:24 pm I do not trust this article especially about height. They did not even get the correct height of a building that been there for forty years. The Sheraton is more like 425 feet tall. Sure a weird location for such a tower. Most would not really call it downtown. The Liberty Memorial skyline view would become asymetric and this tower would appear dominant on the skyline being 3 blocks south of any other 400 foot + building.
The FAA application says the height.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

UMKC Roo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:05 pm We literally heard from someone on here less than a month ago that we wouldn't see a building that tall in "15-20 years" lol...works like a charm. Not the first time that's happened.
It’s a proposal. Remember, the Hyatt (now Loews) was supposed to be 40+ floors, final project is 23 floors. So don’t expect anything over 18 floors.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... hyatt.html
Last edited by KC_JAYHAWK on Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It doesn't seem even strong enough to call it a proposal, which is why I changed topic to 'considered' rather than 'proposed'. But at least the exploration is in progress, potentially 3rd tallest for KC.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

I wonder if they have financing and a specific plan for usage already or it's just speculative. I'm guessing they're just trying to prevent the speed bumps Flaherty & Collins encountered for a 2026 opening.
SiouxCity KCMO Man
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SiouxCity KCMO Man »

Wonder how much more is afoot in the underlings of the development world of downtown KC?? Gotta think that 2026 and the world stage has a lot to do with all of this. With the airport nearing completion, lots of people to keep the building going!

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Made it about 4.3 Kauffman Centers tall