Main & Armour - Mac Properties

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Main & Armour - Mac Properties

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Extending the feel of Armour down Main st is going to be awesome. That will really change the feel of the city.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Good to hear that the New Yorker renovation is back in the picture. It wasn't mentioned last night like the southwest corner of Armour and Baltimore was. So really, this project's scope potentially grew in scale since it was initially unveiled, only it was split apart. Seems live a much bigger win overall.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Love that they are trying to design a building on SW corner of Baltimore and Armour to blend in with the historic fabric of the unique older buildings to the west. MAC has shown a sensitivity to scale and design of neighborhoods that few local developers have.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:52 am So all that was accomplished by KC Tenants protest here was to take an affordable building and turn it into a market-rate building, when if they would have done nothing it would have continued to be an affordable renovated building? Good job there.
Yes, self-destructive. In addition, it's also apparent that new market rate projects can happen in KC w/out incentives despite still unfavorable labor/cost conditions. Some insisted here that it wasn't likely possible. Moving forward, market rate projects that involve incentives need a public benefit. IE, the Westport Lux project should've included something public accessible, such as the bowling lanes or public market.
Last edited by earthling on Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:29 am Good to hear that the New Yorker renovation is back in the picture. It wasn't mentioned last night like the southwest corner of Armour and Baltimore was. So really, this project's scope potentially grew in scale since it was initially unveiled, only it was split apart. Seems live a much bigger win overall.
It would still have been good to have the affordable housing element, although I’m not sure how feasible that is with KC Tenants opposing all tifs for any market rate even if it includes affordable elements
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Maybe KC Tenants could apply for grants and incentives to renovate their own homes and help create affordable housing they could benefit from some extra rental income instead of just chasing off developers and having them side step incentives and just go where they know they can make the most money.

Good for them in raising an awareness to not have every project get free incentives that may or may not need it. That awareness is good. But some projects will benefit from incentives and developers are willing to create affordable housing at a rate that makes sense for everyone & allows them a ROI.

Think of it like going to buy a car and you offered something insanely low and get offended when they say they can't take that. You cannot make ridiculous offers that are 100% tilted in your favor, world does not work like that and in essence you are no better than someone trying to exploit others for money because you are trying to exploit them to benefit yourself. Compromise is key, always, especially in development deals like this. You can't give away the farm but you must be able to understand how to get what you want within reason. All or nothing will typically end you up with nothing because these developers have access to money & time to go around your demands and you are left with a bigger problem than what you started with.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Hufft always teasing us with these trees in their design pictures.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Is Main really going to be reduced to 2/3 lanes as shown in the renderings? I'm all for a road diet but that seems like it would make things a bit of a slog.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:18 pm Is Main really going to be reduced to 2/3 lanes as shown in the renderings? I'm all for a road diet but that seems like it would make things a bit of a slog.
It’s not accurate street width
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Has any developer come close to doing what MAC has done for our urban core? I feel like they don't get enough credit for their consistent drive to keep building and expanding the population of this city. Others should follow their example.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:48 pm Has any developer come close to doing what MAC has done for our urban core? I feel like they don't get enough credit for their consistent drive to keep building and expanding the population of this city. Others should follow their example.
Cordish and MAC in the 21st Century. Hall Family/Hallmark in H2 1900's?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

What’s “H2 1900’s”?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

earthling wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:54 am
FangKC wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:52 am So all that was accomplished by KC Tenants protest here was to take an affordable building and turn it into a market-rate building, when if they would have done nothing it would have continued to be an affordable renovated building? Good job there.
Yes, self-destructive. In addition, it's also apparent that new market rate projects can happen in KC w/out incentives despite still unfavorable labor/cost conditions. Some insisted here that it wasn't likely possible. Moving forward, market rate projects that involve incentives need a public benefit. IE, the Westport Lux project should've included something public accessible, such as the bowling lanes or public market.
I think the reduced parking requirements help with that affordability.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:18 pm Is Main really going to be reduced to 2/3 lanes as shown in the renderings? I'm all for a road diet but that seems like it would make things a bit of a slog.
Your perspective is skewed. There are plenty of streets in KCMO that carry as many cars with fewer lanes. It's a traffic sewer, you'll thank us later when it's a smashing success.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:40 pm
Your perspective is skewed. There are plenty of streets in KCMO that carry as many cars with fewer lanes. It's a traffic sewer, you'll thank us later when it's a smashing success.
Wait, so the rendering reflects the final product post SC construction?
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Mains going to be so much nicer if it’s down to three lanes, will also completely transform it with the extra wide sidewalks and street trees. Currently one of the worst streets to walk in Midtown immediately going to the best
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:40 pm
Thanks for telling me how I feel, even though I've driven Main St daily to/from work for decades. I don't mind being wrong, and hope I am in this instance, but a simple explanation is sufficient. In case anyone is wondering, this kind of response is why more people refrain from commenting.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

True, kcjak.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

We've essentially had this road diet the last 2 years on Main and now and the traffic hasn't ever built up to an unbearable amount. And that was when it's just been led by random cones strewn all over the place.