'587 Project' Clay County

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
SouthKC_Citizen
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

'587 Project' Clay County

Post by SouthKC_Citizen »

I saw someone mention this project a while back and I just thought it deserved its own discussion and more attention. This looks like a massive project for clay county and could be the Clay County version of Corporate Woods, but bigger.

Clay County EDC Article (Contains renderings of the project): https://clayedc.com/archives/2196?fbcli ... y8Q0-vkjtU

Flyover Video: https://olsson-studio.wistia.com/medias/lw9r9skiok

What they want the project to look like: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?ur ... p-discover
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: '587 Project' Clay County

Post by dukuboy1 »

very interesting, at least it is development West of LIberty, curious how this goes with development along I35 & 69 HWY a multi phased plan that was released saying it looks to add 10K residents to Liberty in that area. The Northland has a lot of land & potential for sure. All of the land East of I35 around Pleasant Valley over to 291. Vast tracks of land there that is starting to fill in slowly from I35 to the East. Plus where this project is proposed and huge tracks of land in development and potential for more around HWY 169 North to Smithville and east toward I29. Just vast amounts of land.

Would be great if downtown could attract some more businesses, big HQ's etc. and be able to tap into the Northland great proximity to downtown and the suburban life that many workers desire. Northland has boom potential for sure that can be more connected to downtown than other points in the Metro as a robust interstate system and access to it is in place currently. Obviously if you start to have exponential growth you will have to add to it and improve it, but a pretty good slate exists to start from.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Oh great another massive suburban development...
Looks right at home in 1980. Great for the Northland, but does the metro really need another sprawling project like this?
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

Thank you to whomever is responsible for putting a skatepark in this plan you’re a good person.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This area will likely develop, but this is only a master land use plan provided to the county by a consulting firm. This is not an actual "project".
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

GRID wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:57 pm This area will likely develop, but this is only a master land use plan provided to the county by a consulting firm. This is not an actual "project".
Yep I was gonna say the same. This is all renderings. Although not development in the urban core still inside the loop. Most of this land is banked by the Morman church, so there is a good chance for a denser development than just more SFH.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Noahfleshman wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:05 am Thank you to whomever is responsible for putting a skatepark in this plan you’re a good person.
Pretty good sized skate park not far from this proposal. Pleasant Valley park if you are needing one 8)
Noahfleshman
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Noahfleshman »

You obviously don’t skate, that park is over 20 years old, it’s in terrible condition, skateboarders DIY with there own money to fix cracks, patch concrete, etc.. and the city could care less about it. They pick up trash and mow monthly.. Meanwhile we continue to build hundreds of soccer / baseball fields that are only used a few months out of the year by a certain demographic. We need a better skate park in our city, it’s used by every demographic, all year round, we have a huge skateboarding scene, lots of younger people into scooters and bikes as well as skateboarding. Look at Des Moines our neighbor, they built a beautiful skatepark one of the largest in the country, it attracts Dew Tour and at least one out of town visitor daily. Our city ignores skateboarding because it won’t bring them money like suburban youth sports, yet in the long run our facilities fees are less, and if it’s built correctly out of concrete it will last many years. Go ahead and call that pipe dream under the new bridge a skatepark, but I haven’t seen any plans, i won’t believe it until I see it, how many inner city kids play soccer or baseball in places like Staley, last I remember when staley was built they did everything they could to keep the government subsidized assisted living apartments on north oak out of their school zone. That’s another topic for another day. As skateboarders were overlooked, and just about everyone on this fourm is clueless about skateboarding, despite the fact they all wear Vans, and take their kids to scooter at the 20 year old park or they just don’t care because they’re the ones advocating for the things planned in this document. Go to colorado, California, just about anywhere out west and look at their skateparks, jump across the state to Ofallon missouri, or look at Lenexa planning on spending $750k on a new skatepark. The north land needs a new skatepark because the demand is there, we just get ignored because our sport doesn’t draw hundreds of yuppies or make the city any money, and when our parks get vandalized by non skaters they blame it on the skateboarders. Look at pleasant valley, and look at penn valley Kansas City’s only two skateparks, they’re covered in graffiti and falling apart, imagine if someone vandalized a baseball diamond or soccer field in the same way. It would be all over the news and people would be appalled, it would be fixed within days, but when it comes to skateboarding it’s brushed under the rug, and left to stay. We have even taken it upon ourselves to build a DIY skate park in Columbus Park on unused land, that the majority on here can’t wait to see gone and turned into more “affordable” housing. Any time of the day there’s usually someone there too, Say what you want about skateboarding, but I believe there’s a future there for it, it’ll just take a lot of advocacy.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/it146s-a-dir ... tta-do-it/
Last edited by Noahfleshman on Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

i do not, just knew it was over there, unaware of it's condition. Sorry to read it is not maintained. I'm 48 yrs old, never skated but was big into Freestyle Bikes back in Middle school and even a little my Freshman year in HS. So mid to late 80's when it was boomed I was fully in and watched it become bigger with the XGames, etc.

I agree that they could use more resources to support them and even build some more. I also agree we have a ton of soccer fields and baseball diamonds. Would be nice to focus on a few cool skate parks.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Noahfleshman wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:28 am You obviously don’t skate, that park is over 20 years old, it’s in terrible condition, skateboarders DIY with there own money to fix cracks, patch concrete, etc.. and the city could care less about it. They pick up trash and mow monthly.. Meanwhile we continue to build hundreds of soccer / baseball fields that are only used a few months out of the year by a certain demographic. We need a better skate park in our city, it’s used by every demographic, all year round, we have a huge skateboarding scene, lots of younger people into scooters and bikes as well as skateboarding. Look at Des Moines our neighbor, they built a beautiful skatepark one of the largest in the country, it attracts Dew Tour and at least one out of town visitor daily. Our city ignores skateboarding because it won’t bring them money like suburban youth sports, yet in the long run our facilities fees are less, and if it’s built correctly out of concrete it will last many years. Go ahead and call that pipe dream under the new bridge a skatepark, but I haven’t seen any plans, i won’t believe it until I see it, how many inner city kids play soccer or baseball in places like Staley, last I remember when staley was built they did everything they could to keep the government subsidized assisted living apartments on north oak out of their school zone. That’s another topic for another day. As skateboarders were overlooked, and just about everyone on this fourm is clueless about skateboarding, despite the fact they all wear Vans, and take their kids to scooter at the 20 year old park or they just don’t care because they’re the ones advocating for the things planned in this document. Go to colorado, California, just about anywhere out west and look at their skateparks, jump across the state to Ofallon missouri, or look at Lenexa planning on spending $750k on a new skatepark. The north land needs a new skatepark because the demand is there, we just get ignored because our sport doesn’t draw hundreds of yuppies or make the city any money, and when our parks get vandalized by non skaters they blame it on the skateboarders. Look at pleasant valley, and look at penn valley Kansas City’s only two skateparks, they’re covered in graffiti and falling apart, imagine if someone vandalized a baseball diamond or soccer field in the same way. It would be all over the news and people would be appalled, it would be fixed within days, but when it comes to skateboarding it’s brushed under the rug, and left to stay. We have even taken it upon ourselves to build a DIY skate park in Columbus Park on unused land, that the majority on here can’t wait to see gone and turned into more “affordable” housing. Any time of the day there’s usually someone there too, Say what you want about skateboarding, but I believe there’s a future there for it, it’ll just take a lot of advocacy.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/it146s-a-dir ... tta-do-it/
I appreciate your passion for Skateboarding. The sheer number/oversaturation of youth soccer I think is questionable. Do we really need so many millions of dollars on soccer fields off Platte Purchase? I did just fine playing on the crappy ass fields in Tiffany Springs. At least this project doesn't seem to be quite as big of a youth sports anchor, maybe they would actually land a smaller arena, something the Northland does not have. A skate park and ice arena could be a good addition. Apart from Line Creek, I don't think there is any ice hockey arena up north either.
maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Post by maison rustique »

Traffic is already bad around here. What are the plans for handling all the additional cars on the road? And if we are adding more people, where will the kids attend school?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

maison rustique wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:00 am Traffic is already bad around here. What are the plans for handling all the additional cars on the road? And if we are adding more people, where will the kids attend school?
Seriously? The road infrastructure in KC is silly in how overbuilt it is. We have section that could use re-configuration and a few highways that could use expanded, but generally we have way too many and too wide of roads which cause excessive speed and traffic crashes. Any project should on this parcel should require few upgrades to the road network save various stoplights and turn lanes to faciliate ingress and egress.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

The traffic that is bad is the fact that 152 is just a huge runway for everyone to continue rolling at 65mph right before traffic lights where they're building everything up just east of 435. Simply out of control and dangerous drivers in that area, such an embarrassment.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Duh, more lanes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:52 pm The traffic that is bad is the fact that 152 is just a huge runway for everyone to continue rolling at 65mph right before traffic lights where they're building everything up just east of 435. Simply out of control and dangerous drivers in that area, such an embarrassment.
152 east of 435 is probably one of the worse stroads in the Northland. I see two options to re-configure.

Treat 152 like a highway. Remove some of those stoplights e.g. make Booth Rd. and Church exits only w Ped bridges, add in a grade seperation interchange at Shoal Creek Pkwy. Again, highways are a necessary evil so lets treat it like one.

Another idea could be to re-configure the 435 and 152 interchange to run 152 directly into 435, turning south. Then have an off-ramp into an arterial parkway feed into this new 587 project and a pedestrianized mixed use street along both a new Barry road alignment and 82nd terrace, with denser office and residential development in this area.

Again, I highly doubt this stroad would ever get fixed, at least in my lifetime. It really does suck, since it's a nice area. At a minimum, some better pedestrian crossings and actual effort at traffic calming would be nice.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Well they could improve some of the streets that still are basically 2 lane, narrow country roads up here. Take N. Indiana for instance. From 152 North to 96th street it is a nice wide street with curbs and sidewalk on both or at least 1 side. Then north of N. 96th street it is a narrow, jenky ass, farm road to N. 100th Street. Indiana is a main North South artery for Staley Farms up there which is big and getting bigger. Not to mention N. 100th St. to the East is narrow farm type road as well. Really need to take and make roads like NE 96th, which has been redone to 435 and make improvements all the way West to N. Oak. Improve those roads to be solid alternatives to 152, that would help for sure. There are options but will need improvements
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Local report and interview of EDC and Northland City counselpeople.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/cl ... -route-152

Would expect a TIF district and other incentives to come soonish. Interesting to see who will actually buy the land. As I noted earlier, the Mormon church own it, but they are very pro-development, but not sure who would actually be the master developer.