7400 Broadway- Apts

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

7400 Broadway- Apts

Post by kboish »

Thomas Friedstad is reporting a new development in Waldo that is applying for START incentives from KCATA. I haven't heard anything about this.

296-apartments with 12,500 square feet of retail/restaurant space and a 373-space garage southeast of 74th St. and Broadway. Just north of the Well.

Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 7400 Broadway- Apts

Post by Chris Stritzel »

EPC is the developer. Looks nice. 296 apartments is a lot
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Fountains wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:08 pm Is that where the car wash is currently?
Yes
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I envision Waldo can developed similarly to downtown OP. More development here might spur a KC Streetcar extension south (or so I dream)
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:49 pm I envision Waldo can developed similarly to downtown OP. More development here might spur a KC Streetcar extension south (or so I dream)
Projects like this really make it seem more feasible in the near future!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

This project would involve demolishing "The Well" bar and building a new one into the new building
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Nice concept to an already nice area for food and drinks. I agree something like this could do for it like the downtown OP feel. I’m game & hope it may spur other development close by along Wornall
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Any reason the parking allotment is so high? Is KCATA trying tim leverage that with a transit line near this development?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:10 pm Any reason the parking allotment is so high? Is KCATA trying tim leverage that with a transit line near this development?
Not a walkable area. Doesn't seem unrealistic vs. other suburban developments

In my dream world, they are trying to build replacement spots for what will be removed by a LRT extension to Waldo.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Project Plan permit, which includes new renderings and elevations in a Plan Set attachment are located here on Compass KC.

KCDowntown
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCDowntown wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:59 pm Project Plan permit, which includes new renderings and elevations in a Plan Set attachment are located here on Compass KC.

KCDowntown
Project is not before KCATA Board this month. Only 1 from RideKC September meeting advanced to full board for September.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Looking at the plans, I'm impressed by how much better this is than the NDPJ/NorthPoint project at 31st and Wyandotte (Park Reserve site). That site is next to the streetcar line and in an area where the walkability factor needs to be increased, yet the street-level on all sides is horrendous. Meanwhile at 7400 Broadway, I give it an "A-" grade for making an attempt to activate the primary elevations through the usage of walk-up units, patios, and retail space. 7400 Broadway doesn't get a perfect "A+" though because of how the parking garage isn't really concealed.

It's just all around a better design than Park Reserve and it's how you can build walkability. Having said that, in the future I'd prefer to see smaller buildings constructed than a few big ones, but this will do for now.

Here are additional renderings and elevations that were uploaded to Compass.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

What causes these buildings to be so long? Seems like every new building has to eat the rest of its block for some reason
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:42 pm What causes these buildings to be so long? Seems like every new building has to eat the rest of its block for some reason
I imagine land ownership and the desire to just get it done all at once. If not that, maybe the economics works better instead of splitting the buildings up a bit.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I can understand the economy of consolidating as much contiguous property to build the biggest structure you can possibly finance is a good move business-wise. That said the massing is off-putting and would prefer some finer grain. Still, this project gives a very good nod to street level activation and given the realities, it's hard to complain. I'll be following this one for sure.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:42 pm What causes these buildings to be so long? Seems like every new building has to eat the rest of its block for some reason
Economies of scale, regulations, insurance, etc.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The spotlight was shined on this project on KSHB last night.
https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/80 ... ansas-city
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »