12th and Broadway site: RFP for mixed use

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
trexel94
Strip mall
Strip mall

12th and Broadway site: RFP for mixed use

Post by trexel94 »

The city has recently issued an RFP to develop two surface lots on 12th and Broadway.

Criteria
- Up to 130 ft tall
- Ideally walkable/transit friendly
- Floor area ratio around 10.
- Maximum parking 0.9 for every residential unit

The building sqft could be around 500k/516k

For office it must result in at least 33% new jobs
For residential, should result in around 20% of units set aside for affordable housing or 60% of median income.

Link to article
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... 0#cxrecs_s
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 12th and Broadway site: RFP for mixed use

Post by normalthings »

Where is the RFP
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Its RFP is the first in a series of at least three that officials are scheduled to issue in the coming weeks for vacant or underutilized city-owned properties in the greater Downtown area.
Neat
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:39 pm Where is the RFP
Is it on Plan Room? I don't have an account so wouldn't know

http://www.kcmoplanroom.org/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Out of all the surface lots available that's one they choose to highlight? I can think of 10 better spots off the top of my head. Yeah, can't get excited about this one sorry. Unless it's all about some new master plan to clean up the convention center and beautify the surroundings (because when you walk out the west side its hell).
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That site has been pitched for a convention center hotel for 30 years. Was a Hilton proposal in the early nineties. I thought this was going to be a parking structure to replace some of the spaces under Barney Allis, what happened with that?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:37 pm Out of all the surface lots available that's one they choose to highlight? I can think of 10 better spots off the top of my head. Yeah, can't get excited about this one sorry. Unless it's all about some new master plan to clean up the convention center and beautify the surroundings (because when you walk out the west side its hell).
Can’t complain too much about a parking lot the city wants to offload for a much better usage even if the location isn’t the most desirable in the eyes of others. But it’s close to the Power and Light District and on the edge of a stable neighborhood, so it seems fine in my book. And what better way to clean up the area around the convention center than through new construction on the east and west sides?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

moderne wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:05 pm That site has been pitched for a convention center hotel for 30 years. Was a Hilton proposal in the early nineties. I thought this was going to be a parking structure to replace some of the spaces under Barney Allis, what happened with that?
They are parking at BAP now. Assume its a cost thing.

This site is pretty bad for another convention hotel imho. Cut off from everything in PL, Crossroads, and even much of the Convention Center
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Maybe looking to infill that West side to have development wall the way down 12th into the West Bottoms. That becomes the “grand connector”from downtown WB
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What is the incentive for a developer to do this? Is the city giving the land and offering incentives? Is this basically a city funded project?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:36 am What is the incentive for a developer to do this? Is the city giving the land and offering incentives? Is this basically a city funded project?
The city is asking developers to pitch a dense development with financing sources & uses and dev. plans. Developers may ask for incentives (no guarantees). I didn't see a price for the land in the RFP. Might be a name your price or price is part of the incentive - I need to reread.

Why would a developer do this?:
1. The land is for sale unlike most of the larger parcels in downtown
2. Convention Center Location (Hotel is not a use the City wants though)
3. Adjacent office user needs to expand their HQ ahead of MN offices moving to KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

yeah, I get all that, but there has to be more incentives. There is plenty of land downtown to build on and plenty to buy that is in probably better locations and developers are not exactly jumping at the gun to develop them.

I just figured it was a case of the city basically giving away the land or making it very cheap and offering some way of heavily subsidizing the development. And isn't the KC Southern thing very much in the air? It would be pretty nice though if this happens.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:25 am yeah, I get all that, but there has to be more incentives. There is plenty of land downtown to build on and plenty to buy that is in probably better locations and developers are not exactly jumping at the gun to develop them.

I just figured it was a case of the city basically giving away the land or making it very cheap and offering some way of heavily subsidizing the development. And isn't the KC Southern thing very much in the air? It would be pretty nice though if this happens.
KCS wanted to develop before the job relocation was announced
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:25 am yeah, I get all that, but there has to be more incentives. There is plenty of land downtown to build on and plenty to buy that is in probably better locations and developers are not exactly jumping at the gun to develop them.

Agreed we can all see the empty spots but they aren't owned by friendly owners who are looking to sell to developers. This is an opportunity to get land from the city on a main street across from the convention center, not sure where it comes from that it's a bad location.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:23 pm

Agreed we can all see the empty spots but they aren't owned by friendly owners who are looking to sell to developers. This is an opportunity to get land from the city on a main street across from the convention center, not sure where it comes from that it's a bad location.
It’s office or apartment only. Not really a fun location to live but it’s not the worse
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thousands of apartments around it seem like a fine place to live.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:28 pm Thousands of apartments around it seem like a fine place to live.
Yea its not bad just not the best. STraight into a concrete and steel convention center. High traffic and speed street. Very meh
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:37 pm Out of all the surface lots available that's one they choose to highlight? I can think of 10 better spots off the top of my head. Yeah, can't get excited about this one sorry. Unless it's all about some new master plan to clean up the convention center and beautify the surroundings (because when you walk out the west side its hell).
From the business journal: "Kansas City has started searching for redevelopment proposals to replace a pair of surface parking properties it owns southwest of 12th Street and Broadway Boulevard". Can you think of 10 better spots owned by the city off the top of your head? I can certainly think of surface lots I'd like to see infilled more so than these (like those east of Grand and south of 10th and south of 12th) but the city does not own these blocks (only partial ownership of one).

https://maps.kcmo.org/apps/parcelviewer/
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:22 pm
From the business journal: "Kansas City has started searching for redevelopment proposals to replace a pair of surface parking properties it owns southwest of 12th Street and Broadway Boulevard". Can you think of 10 better spots owned by the city off the top of your head? I can certainly think of surface lots I'd like to see infilled more so than these (like those east of Grand and south of 10th and south of 12th) but the city does not own these blocks (only partial ownership of one).

https://maps.kcmo.org/apps/parcelviewer/
River Market
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

normalthings wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:39 pm Where is the RFP
https://kcmo.bonfirehub.com/projects/74911/details