12th and Broadway site: RFP for mixed use

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: 12th and Broadway site: RFP for mixed use

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KC Southern office expansion site. Not too surprising considering they’re right next door to this site and have looked at it anyway. Americo is teaming up with them for this.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Feel like this was always the most likely scenario. It's good to hear that CPKC will stay downtown, but I wish there would be a higher use for the lot. Hopefully, additional office tenants are still on the table, although I'm not very optimistic
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

It would be really cool if the global hq moved down to kc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It would be best if this was a mixed-use building that included office space for expanded Canadian Pacific Kansas City, residential, and commercial retail space on the first floor. Please don't build wide floor plates that will make the building obsolete in the future if residential conversion becomes necessary. I don't want to see us constructing more buildings that will need to be demolished because they aren't able to be repurposed.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... ticleShare
Last edited by FangKC on Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:22 pm KC Southern office expansion site. Not too surprising considering they’re right next door to this site and have looked at it anyway. Americo is teaming up with them for this.
What are the plans?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Canadian Pacific says white collar employment in KC will drop by 112. Who is this expansion for? Something doesn't smell right in the turnover of this property from city ownership.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

missingkc wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:14 pm Canadian Pacific says white collar employment in KC will drop by 112. Who is this expansion for? Something doesn't smell right in the turnover of this property from city ownership.
Posted this over in the other thread but this is from a Minneapolis paper a while back
Over the course of three years, 135 headquarters jobs, and 72 local dispatcher and clerical jobs in its Soo Line division, will shift from Minneapolis to Kansas City.
That said - I don’t know how significant of a development this could possibly be with the amount of jobs stated. So hopefully it’s mixed use or at the very least capable of other office tenants
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

KCS iirc had KC staff in multiple buildings and was due for a consolidation/HQ expansion before the merger happened. This metger will move more jobs to KC than it destroys. Maybe there is also a possibility to get the global HQ here
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... e-rfp.html

Mixed-use project proposed at this site by KCS and Americo. On the surface this sounds quite promising: No new parking, tax relief capped, affordable housing requirement, new jobs, etc. but color me skeptical based on the Merriman family involvement. As may have been detected elsewhere on this forum, I continue to smart from the monument to motordom that is the Waddell & Reed project (developed by Merrimans).

That said, this could be quite exciting and is all the more reason the Catholic Diocese property should be developed in a more active way.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we got the watch now SMH, well keep them in line.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

smh wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:54 am https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... e-rfp.html

Mixed-use project proposed at this site by KCS and Americo. On the surface this sounds quite promising: No new parking, tax relief capped, affordable housing requirement, new jobs, etc. but color me skeptical based on the Merriman family involvement. As may have been detected elsewhere on this forum, I continue to smart from the monument to motordom that is the Waddell & Reed project (developed by Merrimans).

That said, this could be quite exciting and is all the more reason the Catholic Diocese property should be developed in a more active way.
Agree but I think this design next to the cathedral is pretty final. It's a shame because their original idea wasn't too bad but was killed by the neighbors

As for the CPKC site Platt's excited about it & indicates that parking would be provided via the existing garage which is neat. In my opinion it's a little disingenuous to refer to sites that are capped at 130 feet as "high rises" but whatever

https://twitter.com/BrianDavidPlatt/sta ... 90656?s=20
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like the notion of consolidating other KCS workers from around the metro to one central HQ. Plus in reading the details of the merger it would appear that the Minneapolis current US HQ will be relocating to KC. Some will stay and or relocate to other jobs up there but the bulk sounds like it is coming here. So I'm sure that 112 number is local KC people getting moved out with the move of folks from the Twin cities. By be a wash when said and done, and could be less, knowing some folks maybe do not want to move, etc.

City scene had an article out as well and they had snippets of info saying there may be some growth opportunities as well. Who knows but it would be nice to have another anchor business downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:02 am we got the watch now SMH, well keep them in line.
Will you though??

*gestures wildly at City Harvest*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I kid, I kid.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I mean not ME specifically. lol. Very true.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 74974.html

Press release confirming the combining of companies will happen April 14th and outlining the future leadership team.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wish the sites in red frames were getting more street activation. The two churches could provide a lot of affordable housing like the Catholic Diocese has already done with Cathedral Square Towers at 12th and Washington. The new parishioner center could be combined with a housing tower.

https://www.publichousing.com/details/c ... are_towers

langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Does anyone have a link to the Americo proposal? I would have liked to see KCS move to a new tower next to the loop cap park. West of Broadway as solely dense residential and neighborhood retail is my dream.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It would be interesting though to do a census of employees who work for companies on Quality HIil to see how many of them live in the neighborhood and walk to work, or close by and take the bus.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:14 pm Canadian Pacific says white collar employment in KC will drop by 112. Who is this expansion for? Something doesn't smell right in the turnover of this property from city ownership.
The cynic in me says the city only cares about reducing their underground parking costs for Barney Allis Plaza. You recall the city's purchase of this site for above ground parking supply what the justification at the time.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

So, the city will seek use of spaces in cpkc development during evening and weekend to reduce spaces necessary at BAP?