Observations by a Newcomer

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Observations by a Newcomer

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I decided to start this thread to share some observations I've made since I've been in town on a consistent basis for 3 weeks now. This is a long post, so if you read it and comment, I appreciate it.

For those of you who don't know, I come from St. Louis and am happy to be in Kansas City. I made the move here, after visiting countless times over the years, to finish college, settle down and help transform Kansas City in the first half of this century (28 more years to go). A lot of good things are going on here and we can't let up on the peddle now. There are bumpy and smooth roads and right now, we seem to be riding straight down the line.

I decided to break this up into two sections, the good and the bad. Some of you might agree with me and some might not, and that's ok. These are just my observations that can hopefully lead to a thoughtful discussion.

The Good
    - I appreciate Brian Platt's ambition on making the City a better place to live, work, and visit. I think he realizes the powerhouse Kansas City can be but is wanting to gently push the City there in order to avoid a host of issues that plague cites like Nashville, Austin and Seattle.
      - I like the fact that since downtown has a few vacant buildings left to address, efforts are starting to push east and west. While the density and vibrancy of the past might be hard to achieve, it's certainly on its way back. This needs to be kept up.
        - It's nice seeing the Airport Commission push for a flight to Europe to coincide with the new Airport opening up. Reopening Kansas City to the world is something that needs to happen for long-term success. And while people will scoff at what I'm hinting at here, it's good to have a true transatlantic flight to a major business hub so that international business meetings can be easier to have.
          -The desire to study additional Streetcar lines and high-capacity transit corridors is a huge plus since doing so opens up more possibilities for businesses to open, people to switch to car-optional lifestyles, and new types of transit-oriented development to sprout up (such as massive revitalization efforts of disinvested neighborhoods in addition to larger building rehabs and new construction).
            - Citizen participation in government. Say what you will about KCTenants (I can't stand them), but for all of their faults, they're definitely participating in government even if we don't agree with how they do it. And it's not just city hearings, neighbors attend neighborhood meetings to make their voices heard about a new business or project. Additionally, many people are stepping up to the plate with the hopes of winning a seat on the City Council, or Jackson County Legislature, in the hopes of serving their community. While broad, I think everyone has one goal and vision in mind and that's to create a better City, and we need people like this to move forward.
              - Kansas City, like St. Louis, benefits from being a relatively affordable place to live. This is an excellent thing since affordability, in addition to the types of jobs offered here and the location, will see people continue to move here. The more housing that is built, the better since it can be built to try and meet demand and keep prices competitive, which is a good thing for everybody no matter where you live across the City.
                - Zero-fare transit has been extremely helpful. When I go on my walks, sometimes I end up too far away from where I started and become too tired to walk back. Normally when I walk, I leave my wallet behind, so I don't have cash or cards on me. The zero-fare transit has saved me a few times and allows me to get back to where I started without needing to carry coins. This could be improved greatly if frequency increased.
                  - Most people are friendly. I know it's stereotypical to say that Midwesterners are always friendly, but that's true here. Sure, we all have our moments of frustration and anger, but I get a very different type of vibe from the people of Kansas City and it's a vibe different than people from St. Louis. It's more laid back here and has a small-town kindness feel to it. Going into local shops, restaurants, and cafes and being able to have a natural conversation with business owners is always nice and after a few times, they get to know your name and it feels more personal. I believe that some people take this for granted since they're so used to it, but it's refreshing when I come from a city that has nice people, but most you run into clearly have an attitude.
                    - General cleanliness. I appreciate that there isn't a bunch of trash everywhere that makes places looks bad. It's mostly kept up and generally tidy. In some cases, there is trash, but the culprit is always nearby - overflowing trashcans.

The Bad
                      - The conditions of sidewalks around Country Club Plaza are abhorrent. In particular, I find the Brookside Bridge sidewalks and multiple sidewalks throughout the Plaza to be the most pitiful. I assume the Brookside Bridge sidewalks will be repaired by time the streetcar extension opens, but still. They're crumbling not only there but also in the shopping district. I'd also like to mention that sidewalks on 31st Street are ridiculous as well (too narrow, some are missing, and you're too close to traffic that it doesn't make me feel safe). Other sidewalks around town also have missing pieces or are crumbling, but those I have rarely encountered as I have at the Plaza.
                        - The speeding in which some drivers drive down streets is excessive. Walking down Grand and Broadway, I feel like the speed is really pushing it. Signs state that the speed is 35mph but I'm willing to bet cars go well over 40mph or even 45mph on a normal basis. Cars only slow down when parallel parking enters the picture but rarely any other time. Even on 47th-Cleaver and Main-Brookside, it's a similar story and one that will end up getting people killed if everyone isn't careful. Painting bike lanes and moving parking around might not be enough in my view, but it's enough to at least make people pay more attention.
                          - The lack of street trees downtown and on main avenues around town surprises me. In St. Louis, an attempt to have trees on our main avenues is made in quite a few places, but not everywhere. Like there, Kansas City's tree canopy is spotty in areas that should be seeing, or will one day see, higher pedestrian traffic. As temperatures climb ever so higher, I feel it's important to start planting trees now so that in 5-10 years when they start to mature and provide shade, we benefit. Plus, trees can make areas look nicer and more inviting too.
                            - Locations of sporting venues are laughable, but understandable. I understand the Royals will one day move downtown, and I understand why the Royals, Chiefs, and SportingKC are where they are, but it's still laughable. So far away from bars for pre- and post-game parties/get togethers. They're so far away from hotels and things to do, it's just wild. And because of where they are, you more or less have to drive yourself and put up with the mess of parking and traffic. It's not convenient and simply not fun.
                              - The homelessness and apparent mental health issue. This one bothers me the most and for one reason - why aren't elected officials making moves to try and resolve this issue? I've walked over 100 miles in the city's urban core by now and intend to do an additional 150-200 this month. I've run into quite a few homeless people and have witnessed three people doing their business on the streets during those walks (two were urinating and one was crapping in the recessed entry way to that building at 1822 Main). That in itself is unsanitary and a potential public health hazard.

Additionally, some folks are having either a bad trip on drugs or are mentally unstable and are demonstrating this on a routine basis at 39th and Main and 39th and Broadway. In particular, I observed a few folks at Broadway on different days yelling at cars and throwing items at cars and/or wandering out in the street while cars are coming.

Cities across the nation are trying to make attempts to reduce this issue by building tiny houses or shelters for the homeless. I know this costs money, but it might need to be explored. Some of these people clearly aren't doing too well and I can't help but feel bad for them, but with no apparent moves being made by the city, or even organizations, is upsetting. At a time when a group like KCTenants can get significant coverage and a significant following, you'd also think that people would care as much about the most vulnerable in our society, but I guess that's not the case. And no, providing meals to homeless people at Washington Square Park is not a way to solve this issue. We must be proactive before the problem gets out of hand.

I've been able to talk to a few people who do feel concerned for the safety and wellbeing of the homeless people and want something done to help those people while also feeling concerned for their own safety and that of their families, friends, neighbors and visitors to the City. At a time when we should start preparing to welcome the world for a few weeks in 2026, it seems were leaving behind the most vulnerable to their own detriment.

Conclusion
                              I'm happy to be here but think things can be so much better moving forward. There's a lot of good going on now despite the hiccups encountered along the way. We can magnify some of those hiccups, but some should be left alone. The Kansas City Heart is beginning to symbolize the City, and Region for that matter, and that heart needs to be magnified. But that can only happen when issues are dealt that seem to be ignored. Homelessness/mental health, the tree canopy, sidewalk maintenance, pedestrian safety.

Kansas Citians have a big heart and a lot of pride, and I'm happy to be a part of it and hope to be a part of the story moving forward.
                              AlkaliAxel
                              Broadway Square
                              Broadway Square

Re: Observations by a Newcomer

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:40 pm
                                - Locations of sporting venues are laughable, but understandable. I understand the Royals will one day move downtown, and I understand why the Royals, Chiefs, and SportingKC are where they are, but it's still laughable. So far away from bars for pre- and post-game parties/get togethers. They're so far away from hotels and things to do, it's just wild. And because of where they are, you more or less have to drive yourself and put up with the mess of parking and traffic. It's not convenient and simply not fun.
                                Absolutely correct term to describe it- laughable.

It will be one of those things where once we go downtown with sports people are gonna wonder within 5 mins why we didn't do it 20 years ago.

Which is why I'm an advocate for local gov't just making things happen instead of trying to reason with the masses of morons
                                Cratedigger
                                Valencia Place
                                Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Good post Chris, thanks for making it.

You’re right on with the homelessness point. Having recently moved back from Dallas with my girlfriend (who did not grow up here) this is something that has stuck out to us both. It’s also an issue because unlike some other cities where you will encounter homeless, but there are other crowds around you on the street. Here, it is often you and them one on one. That needs to be addressed.

The other thing that has stuck out to us is the tendency for people to drink and drive. You started to touch on it in the sports stadium point. Maybe it is just the people I have hung out with recently but it is incredibly common to have three to five drinks and hop on the road. Probably has roots in how car dependent and spread out the city is. But scary stuff. Call an Uber people Jesus.
                                Cratedigger
                                Valencia Place
                                Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Also thanks for highlighting the good too. Zero fare transit has been a huge help to me as well. Got a flat tire on a bike ride yesterday. Tossing it on a bus until I could get back downtown was the easiest thing.

All in all moving back has been an interesting, positive experience. Exciting to see the potential in this city and the people working to push it forward. Hopefully the city continues to focus on the core and the historic communities around it. There’s a lot to love there already.

Those areas are what make the city special and exciting to newcomers.
                                Chris Stritzel
                                Penntower
                                Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Fountains wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:43 pm Good write up. Surprised crime and roads weren't on the list those are the 2 things that really holding KC back IMO
                                Those can be issues, and are, but I come from St. Louis and have lived in one of the more dangerous parts of the city and recently used to live in an area where the roads were terrible. Kansas City's roads are just fine compared to where I came from.
                                earthling
                                Mark Twain Tower
                                Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Good stuff. The more time I spend in major cities as almost living there (digital nomad) the more I appreciate what KC has for its size and how livable it is. KC shouldn't become a 'hot' market like Austin/Nashville/Seattle or even Denver but could use slightly more momentum in the city core. It's been decent but so many lots to fill still when conditions improve. There are a lot of challenges and some I don't think are being properly addressed, some are out of KC's control.
                                dukuboy1
                                Alameda Tower
                                Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Thanks for the post, goid stuff. Hopefully you will continue to share your ideas, thoughts & opinions to keep the discussions in this board vibrant & informative. I know personally that I find the info shared here in all forms very useful.

I agree with you the homeless problem has really grown in the last 10 years. The ruse in large populations of homeless, various camps throughout the city is troubling. Not sure how to curb it. Providing shelter & treatment for substance abusers is steps 1-2, but figuring out how to break those destructive cycles is key.
                                AlbertHammond
                                New York Life
                                New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:40 pm The lack of street trees downtown and on main avenues around town surprises me.
                                Oddly, KCMO is better at this than almost any other city in the metro, with exception of Leawood, MH, Lenexa and PV.

Overland Park is viewed as a leader in many regards, but for street trees they are a laggard. They are on a cycle to rebuild streets every 60 years or so and as part of that program, they intentionally remove every street tree. They tell you that a tree has no business near the street, even quiet neighborhood streets. It's like they want to make it an unlivable and unlovable place that serves only cars and traffic. Its really weird.
                                moderne
                                Oak Tower
                                Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That is a laugh. KCMO plants hundreds of street trees only to let them die of thirst after planting.
                                FangKC
                                City Hall
                                City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In harsh downtown concrete/asphalt environments, you have to install sprinkler systems to keep the tree watered. In other parts of town, the tree wells are also usually not big enough to collect water on their own, so you need a water truck attending to them regularly.
                                Chris Stritzel
                                Penntower
                                Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Fountains wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:49 pm Question what part of the plaza were you on? Generally speaking I think the Plaza/West Plaza have some of the better sidewalks in the city. Volker/Westports are a disaster though
                                Random sidewalks in the plaza aren't looking so nice, but the Brookside bridge is horrible.
                                moderne wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:30 pm That is a laugh. KCMO plants hundreds of street trees only to let them die of thirst after planting.
                                That's unfortunate. Maybe one day it can be dealt with. Paris is working on it, so maybe we could learn from them. But me complaining about trees is me being more nitpicky than anything.
                                FangKC
                                City Hall
                                City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's not an unreasonable complaint. Trees make streetscapes more pleasant and reduce the ambient temperature in their surroundings.