1003 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

1003 Walnut

Post by KCPowercat »

I saw the other day 1003 walnut has a for sale sign on it. Seems like a great building for some housing. Maybe add a story to the top

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ktXrznWRfXcPRWx26
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: 1003 Walnut

Post by daGOAT »

An extra floor and restoration of the ground floor facade! The surface parking to the south could be developed as well if the city truly wants to become densely populated again.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

How about a cornice?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I recall that the owner of 1006 Grand at one time wanted to get control of that building to demolish it and build a parking garage there and on the adjoining surface lot to the south.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

there are are a few opportunities along Walnut from 10th St to 7th street. This building, then head North and you have the budilding that held the comedy club/Stables and the parking garage next to it. They appear to be re-doing the Hampton Inn next door. Then you have the Racket building and the parking lot next to it. I think that is one of the surface lots Commerce Bank uses, but maybe not. However there is one square block up to Grand between 8th-7th that could use something new and is almost entirely an empty lot.

But along Walnut there are opportunities, with very easy access to the street car on Main. Would love to see some of those building redone and new things built. I thin the Scarett building already scheduled for something. Maybe the building next to it as well. 909 Walnut is nice and have a lot of residents in it. That stretch of Walnut running into and through River Market now really should get some more love, at least IMO.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:26 am there are are a few opportunities along Walnut from 10th St to 7th street. This building, then head North and you have the budilding that held the comedy club/Stables and the parking garage next to it. They appear to be re-doing the Hampton Inn next door. Then you have the Racket building and the parking lot next to it. I think that is one of the surface lots Commerce Bank uses, but maybe not. However there is one square block up to Grand between 8th-7th that could use something new and is almost entirely an empty lot.

But along Walnut there are opportunities, with very easy access to the street car on Main. Would love to see some of those building redone and new things built. I thin the Scarett building already scheduled for something. Maybe the building next to it as well. 909 Walnut is nice and have a lot of residents in it. That stretch of Walnut running into and through River Market now really should get some more love, at least IMO.
That area is the closest thing we have to monumental big city urbanism, so of course we treat it like crap
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Quite a few possibilities with this one. I can think of a few creative things to do here but what concerns me the most is that the real estate listing does not include interior photos. If those existed, it might help me pitch it to my partners a bit more. I can always tour it, but my partners are the type that like to see the situation first in picture form before deciding to go take a tour and analyze it in person.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interior demo happening. Not sure if it has been bought or not but Newmark is the listing agent on the sign and it's not on their site. Owner is Sentinel Acquisitions so seems like that maybe a new owner
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Hope this isn’t a total demo….cool building
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:27 pm Interior demo happening. Not sure if it has been bought or not but Newmark is the listing agent on the sign and it's not on their site. Owner is Sentinel Acquisitions so seems like that maybe a new owner
When I contacted Newmark a while back about buying this property, they said it was under contract.
TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:57 pm Hope this isn’t a total demo….cool building
I don't think it'll be a total demo. I imagine it'll be renovated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:57 pm Hope this isn’t a total demo….cool building
permit says interior demo only
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

Kinda sad that it wouldn't seem absurd to imagine someone would float a proposal to demolish this for parking, already adjacent to more parking. Maybe that era is finally slowing, however, in Kansas City's downtown. The old Myron Green Cafeteria building on the 1100 block of Walnut sat vacant for many years wedged between the Oppenheim Brothers park and the tower at 11th and Walnut. I had wished that would have been preserved but of course it was levelled and added to the park that itself I'd love to see cleared and the block fully redeveloped in the effort to increase the density of things.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The parcel where the Myron Green Cafeteria stood wasn't added to Oppenheim Brothers Park. It became a small surface lot for the WallStreet Tower.

viewtopic.php?p=301269#p301269

viewtopic.php?p=351644#p351644

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1005474 ... 312!8i6656
Philacav
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Philacav »

FangKC wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:35 am The parcel where the Myron Green Cafeteria stood wasn't added to Oppenheim Brothers Park. It became a small surface lot for the WallStreet Tower.

viewtopic.php?p=301269#p301269

viewtopic.php?p=351644#p351644

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1005474 ... 312!8i6656
Thank you for the clarification; I forgot that the other usual fate was what took place.