Want to be amazed by KC BBQ again.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Want to be amazed by KC BBQ again.

Post by KC1963 »

Born and raised in KC and lifelong BBQ addict. Long weekend visits to KC include at least 3 BBQ visits.

Typically, Rosedale (cause I used to work there in the old bldg 1980, Gates because of their crispy fries and sauces, the original Bryant's because when they get it right (not always a given) it's like meat candy and the fact I went straight from mother's milk to Bryant's original sauce as a baby.

My pop used to get slabs of ribs we could carry into the old stadium and watch the Chiefs. When there are 4 visits I sometimes go to LC's but the last time it was a shadow of its former self for burnt ends. LC was still there in his usual spot.

The best BBQ I've ever had in KC was Harris in the 80s. I tried BB's Lawnside that had some influence from Harris - see Pitch article below - but to my memory wasn't close. Visits to Plowboys also didn't rate in my book. I smoke here in Texas and never get the brisket as good as Gates, Rosedale or Bryant's but my burnt ends are better than any I've had in KC since LC's in the early 90s. I never rated Joes/OK Joes period despite having it several times over the years.

I'm plan to visit to KC in the next weeks and am hoping for a knock-your-socks-off BBQ joint for brisket and especially burnt ends. Where to go? Thanks in advance.

https://www.thepitchkc.com/bb146s-lawns ... -rib-tips/
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Want to be amazed by KC BBQ again.

Post by chrizow »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Slaps is still the best in my book. Harp is great but only open Saturdays for lunch right now.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Chef J BBQ has been great every time I've been there, and has the additional advantages of a) being open multiple days a week and b) being much closer to me than Harp is.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KC BBQ is so all over the place it's going to depend on what item you're talking about per restaurant and if you prefer fatty meat vs. lean meat, etc. KC offers it all. The variety is so varied that there's a pretty good chance you'll hate 80% and love 20% and somebody loves any one of them. That's what makes KC the king of BBQ. Though it's not really the restaurants that makes KC BBQ stand out, it's that many in KC know how to smoke and grill at home. And you've got the no sauce purists and the must have saucey people. It's not even disputable, KC is king of BBQ because of all of this.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Slaps is always good and as a new place it still has some old school charm of Gates or Arthur Bryant's (IMO).

Good burnt ends: Joes, Q39, Jack Stack, always deliver. Plus they all do great brisket as well.

Mentioned earlier but I have heard great things about Chef J. I personally have not tasted it but it looks great and gets rave reviews. Jones Bar-B-Q also has some buzz on their burnt ends.

I'm a big turkey fan so I will dabble in the beef dishes every now and then, I just love turkey more, especially smoked to perfection. That is the one thing KC does amazing and so happy you can get it most places. That's what makes KC BBQ so good, we will smoke and serve just about anything here and do it to perfection. The variety of meats, cuts, and ways to eat it make KC the kings
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Harp, Jones and Slap it is. Chef J if I can swing it.

BTW - I'm in Dallas and haven't found BBQ worth a damn in Texas. Including all the ones you read about on the 'best lists'. That's the reason I started smoking about 20 years ago. Just had some of my own burnt ends for dinner this evening. I am definitely a 'saucer' but equally like BBQ that can stand on its own w/o sauce.

Anyone remember Harris BBQ? It was a trip. This giant man sat on a stool and grabbed piles of meat with his bare hands and shuttled them on to white bread and rolled up into butcher paper. He then grunted your price which seemed variable initially until he recognized you as a regular. With all due respect, he was very overweight, sweated profusely and despite all of that, you couldn't resist the food. It was gross to witness but never stopped me from going. Sadly, one day I went back and it was a beauty parlor. Maybe 1986 or 87? Guessing he had health problems. Among the regrets I have in life is every time I had BBQ anywhere else while Harris was open. It was that good.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

Noticed Jones is in transition - how is their sweet and tangy sauce? Worth mail ordering?

https://fox4kc.com/reviews/br/kitchen-b ... -for-sale/

I usually take home dozens of bottles of Gates Original, Sweet and Mild and Extra Hot, Bryant's Original (for nostalgia) Rich and Spicy (for variety) and Sweet Heat (only for chicken) , lastly Rosedale's which despite their 'fresh' warning I've stored for more than a year in the freezer and then fridge as we use it.
KC1963
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KC1963 »

I think the people that makes these lists just look at other lists or don't really know WTF they are writing about.

https://fox4kc.com/news/the-one-thing-y ... food-wine/
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The best BBQ I ever had in Texas was at Bolner's Market in San Antonio. Holy smokes was it fantastic, and it actually, until they closed anyway (and much to my KC-native shame) would have made the top of my list for best brisket anywhere. Salt Lick in Austin was pretty meh the one time I tried it, never made it to Franklin and probably wouldn't have tolerated the line if I had. I am in Dallas often and occasionally try BBQ but haven't yet found anything to write home about. There's some OK stuff out there, Hard Eight wasn't bad when I went, but it wasn't great and didn't make me feel defensive of KC BBQ the way Bolner's did. If you ever do find anything in Dallas worth a damn (at least, that you didn't make yourself) let me know, as I am there regularly and will happily drive for good BBQ (and it seems like EVERYTHING in Dallas is like an hour away from everything else lol).
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Dallas
- Brisket at Lockhart
- Terry Black's

Ft Worth
- Brisket at Coopers
- Goldee's

Have also heard good things about Cattleack but haven't been myself. Vibes at Woodshed in Ft Worth are great but imo the food doesn't quite hold up