Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

Post by GRID »

And like I said, My family and friends that live in urban KCMO tend to be very blue but most of my friends that live in places like Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, Grain Valley etc are trump morons.

There is an incredible cultural difference between my social media friends from back in suburban MO vs suburban MD and VA in this area. Suburban KC is politically rednecky as hell and has gotten way worse since Trump.

The only part of suburban KC that's not like that is probably Overland Park and the suburbs around it like Mission and Leawood. Olathe is like Blue Springs.
KCDowntownLoop
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCDowntownLoop »

dukuboy1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:09 pm I get it, being a proud Missourian, it pains me to see what the rest of the state is doing and or turning into some crazy ass right wing "gods, gun, and morality" crew. As a DEM I do wish perhaps we try to get back to a more centric view. The pandering by the DEM's & GOP to the small, but very loud folks on the extremes has caused the tensions as of late. As both parties continue to pander to these extremes it will only get worse. A return to "moderatism" would be welcome by all political parties.

To address you question, to me it is really about big cities vs. the rest of states. Rural vs. Urban. Instead of seceding you would be better off just creating mega city states. I mean if you look at every red or blue state you will find that most of the urban areas tend to trend more blue, as this is where people with more liberal ideologies tend to live. Nothing is absolute as there are people who share qualities of both parties, say more liberal leaning on social, cultural, and science issues and more conservative on financial issues, taxes, wealth management, defense, etc.

America is at it's best when those in the middle that share qualities of both sides of the aisle are in power and leading. You can have little leans left or right but when you can all in one way or the other is when you have issues.
Agreed. The problem isn't Missouri v. Kansas, it's urban v. rural and all the various intricacies that go with it. Rural citizens have legitimate gripes and have been neglected in some ways, but the rural stronghold in state politics (thanks, gerrymandering, apathy, and voter suppression) has given power to a minority of our population living in economically depressed areas with less education. I wish KC, StL, CoMo, and even Springfield could find a way to reclaim state leadership.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is entirely unrealistic but if we could only donate lower 1/4 of MO to AR (Springfield/Joplin to Cape G), should be enough to make MO reasonably moderate again.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:19 am And like I said, My family and friends that live in urban KCMO tend to be very blue but most of my friends that live in places like Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, Grain Valley etc are trump morons.

There is an incredible cultural difference between my social media friends from back in suburban MO vs suburban MD and VA in this area. Suburban KC is politically rednecky as hell and has gotten way worse since Trump.

The only part of suburban KC that's not like that is probably Overland Park and the suburbs around it like Mission and Leawood. Olathe is like Blue Springs.
KC metro overall is much more liberal than peer metros. Platte & Clay have shifted left and are gonna flip Dem next election. Johnson & Wyandotte are both solidly blue and much more of the population. Anything in Jackson is considered an urban county.

STL suburbs are alot more conservative than KC’s now. They still have a Republican suburban House rep.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:02 pm
GRID wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:19 am And like I said, My family and friends that live in urban KCMO tend to be very blue but most of my friends that live in places like Lee's Summit, Blue Springs, Liberty, Grain Valley etc are trump morons.

KC metro overall is much more liberal than peer metros. Platte & Clay have shifted left and are gonna flip Dem next election. Johnson & Wyandotte are both solidly blue and much more of the population. Anything in Jackson is considered an urban county.

STL suburbs are alot more conservative than KC’s now. They still have a Republican suburban House rep.
Johnson being solidly blue has yet to be presented. A trend of probably 3 election cycles is needed before you can call it solid I’d say.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:46 pm

Johnson being solidly blue has yet to be presented. A trend of probably 3 election cycles is needed before you can call it solid I’d say.
Lets just say this: it ain’t going back
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:53 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:46 pm

Lets just say this: it ain’t going back
Midterms have me believing otherwise. Anecdotal conversations driving this outlook.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

I was talking about this with my grandpa. He’s from rural NW MO and came from a family of pretty staunch new deal type democrats. We were going back and forth on why MO seemed to be going deeper and deeper red while KS seems like it will be increasingly contested. It really does come down to that percentage of the population that is urbanized in large metros. As an exercise we started listing all the “big” small towns we could think of in MO. Towns with 10,000 population or greater that are well outside the catchment of large metros. Joplin, Cape Girardeau, Sedalia, Warrensburg, Kirksville, Republic, Hannibal, Moberly, Nixa, West Plains, just to name a few. When we did the same for KS the list just got thin a lot faster. Kansas’s population is urbanizing faster than MO, probably in no small part due to how marginal a lot of the land really is in Kansas for agriculture unless it is being done by a massive scaled operation planting at least 2000 acres. KS’s rural areas are simply depopulating faster than MO. Got to agree with Alkali that the trend will accelerate and the number one predictor of whether or not you vote democrat is whether you live in an urbanized county or not.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

All my family come from all over southern MO & the worst stat of all is that their parents were New Deal Dems because it saved them from the Depression & their kids, all my aunts & uncles, became Republicans just to not be like their parents. Just how it was in my family at least, that petty.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Voting out Parsons and Hawley would be a good start to Missouri going more moderate and civil.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 am All my family come from all over southern MO & the worst stat of all is that their parents were New Deal Dems because it saved them from the Depression & their kids, all my aunts & uncles, became Republicans just to not be like their parents. Just how it was in my family at least, that petty.
In the 1980's the GOP basically sold their soul when they courted the Ultra Conservative Religious right. Ultra Christian groups that controlled a very powerful narrative. They have been picking off rural, blue-collar, DEMs for decades. The DEMs went to hot & heavy with urban intellectuals and really left the others in the wake to court that coastal liberal money.

As an DEM and one that falls into the urban intellectual (college educated, white collar worker), I'd love to see a return of the party to more moderate views that have a chance to make a difference instead of trying to push some ideas to fast that may be too fringe to get all buy in. A little change here and there over a period of time on some (not all ) social issues and look to get things done on infrastructure and moving toward renewable energy, new green tech, science & education industries of innovation, as well as less reliant or foreign supply chains and more domestic production.

The USA rebuilt Europe after WWII and we were the science & technology leaders of the globe, producing amazing goods the rest of the world wanted. But now we lack that as we once did. This country is at it's best when innovating, our history has been about the "big dream" and achieving it
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Both parties 60 and more years ago had a liberal and conservative wings. The Dems with their Dixiecrats and the GOP with their Rockerfeller elites. Johnson knew that he would start splitting the Dem party with the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts and of course that lead to George Wallace's 1968 independent run for president.
I agree, the Dems seem to have forgotten or just gave up trying to get the rural and to a degree the blue collar vote. It was either Bill Clinton or one of his advisors who said something like "It's the economy, stupid." Today's Democrats for the most part fail to realize that. Yes social issues and climate are important but they cannot ignore the economy.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I would sign a petition to secede and form a city-state, and would think hard about signing one to join Kansas (a place I fled for the greener pastures of KCMO nearly 25 years ago). Missouri is a lost cause. It has one of the top 5 worst state governments in the country.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

dukuboy1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:51 pm
TheSmokinPun wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:56 am All my family come from all over southern MO & the worst stat of all is that their parents were New Deal Dems because it saved them from the Depression & their kids, all my aunts & uncles, became Republicans just to not be like their parents. Just how it was in my family at least, that petty.
In the 1980's the GOP basically sold their soul when they courted the Ultra Conservative Religious right. Ultra Christian groups that controlled a very powerful narrative. They have been picking off rural, blue-collar, DEMs for decades. The DEMs went to hot & heavy with urban intellectuals and really left the others in the wake to court that coastal liberal money.

As an DEM and one that falls into the urban intellectual (college educated, white collar worker), I'd love to see a return of the party to more moderate views that have a chance to make a difference instead of trying to push some ideas to fast that may be too fringe to get all buy in. A little change here and there over a period of time on some (not all ) social issues and look to get things done on infrastructure and moving toward renewable energy, new green tech, science & education industries of innovation, as well as less reliant or foreign supply chains and more domestic production.

The USA rebuilt Europe after WWII and we were the science & technology leaders of the globe, producing amazing goods the rest of the world wanted. But now we lack that as we once did. This country is at it's best when innovating, our history has been about the "big dream" and achieving it
I wonder how long the two party system will last as the party platforms become more and more shifted towards the far left and far right. I think moderates in each opposing party are far more like each other than they are like the rest of the their own party. It would seem that conditions are ripe for a more mainstream party to evolve that embraces some of the more moderate components of each party.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The problem with a moderate 3rd party is that if a hard right GOP runs and a relativity moderate or not far left DEM, high chance the moderate vote gets split and the extreme right wins. Mayber better to vote for the lesser of 2 evils.

Moderate leadership should be careful to influence only one moderate run in each party during primaries (either already likable or take chance with an unknown).

Did vote for Clinton/Biden over Trump as lesser of two evils but hoping to see Biden give up and Buttigieg in on DEM side.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm Voting for the lessee of 2 evils has worked great
See economy
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:02 pm Platte & Clay have shifted left and are gonna flip Dem next election.
You must not follow local politics and voter temps.

Clay county just had a massive ordeal with their more liberal commissioners. I am sure voters are beyond disillusioned with left leaning politicians up there.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:49 pm
Goonies wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:08 pm Voting for the lessee of 2 evils has worked great
See economy
Across the globe. No one govt leader can magically fix on own. We can make up whatever shit explanation we want on either end of spectrum and most will believe what they want to hear. Both religion and politics have exploited that well since civilization started.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

im2kull wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:57 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:02 pm Platte & Clay have shifted left and are gonna flip Dem next election.
You must not follow local politics and voter temps.

Clay county just had a massive ordeal with their more liberal commissioners. I am sure voters are beyond disillusioned with left leaning politicians up there.
I do. And the first rule is not using midterm years to make judgements.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

earthling wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:00 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:49 pm
See economy
Across the globe. No one govt leader can magically fix on own. We can make up whatever shit explanation we want on either end of spectrum and most will believe what they want to hear. Both religion and politics have exploited that well since civilization started.
Not starting a political discussion here by any means, but when one’s nation holds the reserve currency for a majority of the developed world, one’s economic problems usually have an effect on the global economy.