Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

Post by brewcrew1000 »

In my wildest dreams I would have never imagined Kansas as being the area being a little more Liberal/Progressive and Missouri basically turning into Alabama and Kentucky but here we are. Missouri is going to neglect its urban centers forever, Springfield/Branson will be the political powerhouse of the state. Once everything else is overturned should KC consider joining Kansas? I know it will never happen but I'm liking Kansas a lot more then Missouri.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Can KC Secede and join Kansas?

Post by Cratedigger »

I wouldn’t put your faith in KS. State level KS GOP members have been EXTREMELY honest about what they want to do and how they want to do it.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

We can try, but I think there's already a Kansas City in Kansas.
KC is the way to be!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 am I wouldn’t put your faith in KS. State level KS GOP members have been EXTREMELY honest about what they want to do and how they want to do it.
No he’s right. I may not know everything about development like most everyone else here- but my career is in political data. That’s my forte’. Kansas is gonna be purple by the end of this decade, and it’s possible in a blue wave 2026 that it’s Senate seat flips blue. It’s possible.

Missouri is either staying stagnant or going more red because STL metro isn’t growing. So while rurals everywhere shift more red, there’s no city growth to offset that in MO. Opposite is happening in KS.

Short answer: Yes, KC joining KS would be amazing long term
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Only desirable if the KS State Capitol moves to DTKC.
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

None of you people must be from here. Kansas City is uniquely "Missouri."
No one born in this city would ever consider being in Kansas.

There is nothing "kansas" about this city. The city had the name before Kansas was a state.
All of our culture, food, music, slang and history is unique to the city (Missouri) side.

This thread is a stupid political whining party. Missouri is no more conservative than Kansas.
The major cities of STL and KC have declined in population and more people in the suburbs reject the "new" Democrat party that they have nothing in common with any longer.

Blame the idiots running the Democrat Party if you want to blame someone.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I have spent my entire life here & have zero loyalties to any state, probably more loyalty to my city than my country as well.

There is nothing uniquely Missouri about this area any longer. It's all the overarching Kansas City metro. That Missouri is rural & not a big fan of us, & every party is to blame. Nice try though.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This was attempted 150 years ago.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:57 pm I have spent my entire life here & have zero loyalties to any state, probably more loyalty to my city than my country as well.

There is nothing uniquely Missouri about this area any longer. It's all the overarching Kansas City metro. That Missouri is rural & not a big fan of us, & every party is to blame. Nice try though.
This.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

TheSmokinPun wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:57 pm I have spent my entire life here & have zero loyalties to any state, probably more loyalty to my city than my country as well.

+1
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

moderne wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:04 pm This was attempted 150 years ago.
Perfect, the country is headed back to 1875 anyway.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

What is uniquely Missouri? The state is a sad shell of itself full of declining towns, meth abuse, high murder rates, bigots who consume the culture of people they hate, and slow minded people who are too friendly to over compensate for a lack of real confidence. That does nothing for Kansas City; if anything the city does more for the state at this point.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Karambit25 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:47 pm
The major cities of STL and KC have declined in population and more people in the suburbs reject the "new" Democrat party that they have nothing in common with any longer.

Blame the idiots running the Democrat Party if you want to blame someone.
The suburban moms are a big reason why Democrats won and might after be a huge reason they keep holding in the midterms. Sharice Davids keeps winning in Suburban Johnson County. I sure would love to hear about this "new" democrat party. Biden is not a democrat anyways, he is basically a Bush Moderate but he keeps getting pawned off as a left wing radical, he is far from left and radical as someone can be.

Looks like Clarence Thomas telling the courts to consider overturning the right to contraception, same-sex marriage, and privacy in the bedroom. Hand Maids Tale is looking more likely in the South
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

daGOAT wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:25 pm What is uniquely Missouri? The state is a sad shell of itself full of declining towns, meth abuse, high murder rates, bigots who consume the culture of people they hate, and slow minded people who are too friendly to over compensate for a lack of real confidence. That does nothing for Kansas City; if anything the city does more for the state at this point.
I agree, there is nothing "uniquely" Missouri, in fact you could argue that it could be spilt up in several states and the only uniquely Missouri place would be a small sliver by St Louis or something
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

freedog wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:43 am I wouldn’t put your faith in KS. State level KS GOP members have been EXTREMELY honest about what they want to do and how they want to do it.

^^^^^

You may need to check who is in the KS legislature. They are just as right wing as MOs.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I get it, being a proud Missourian, it pains me to see what the rest of the state is doing and or turning into some crazy ass right wing "gods, gun, and morality" crew. As a DEM I do wish perhaps we try to get back to a more centric view. The pandering by the DEM's & GOP to the small, but very loud folks on the extremes has caused the tensions as of late. As both parties continue to pander to these extremes it will only get worse. A return to "moderatism" would be welcome by all political parties.

To address you question, to me it is really about big cities vs. the rest of states. Rural vs. Urban. Instead of seceding you would be better off just creating mega city states. I mean if you look at every red or blue state you will find that most of the urban areas tend to trend more blue, as this is where people with more liberal ideologies tend to live. Nothing is absolute as there are people who share qualities of both parties, say more liberal leaning on social, cultural, and science issues and more conservative on financial issues, taxes, wealth management, defense, etc.

America is at it's best when those in the middle that share qualities of both sides of the aisle are in power and leading. You can have little leans left or right but when you can all in one way or the other is when you have issues.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:45 pm

^^^^^

You may need to check who is in the KS legislature. They are just as right wing as MOs.
This will be the last decade they can sustain that.

In fact one could argue they’re more virulent now than they’ve ever been because the state is slipping from them somewhat for the first time.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:11 pm

^^^^^

In fact one could argue they’re more virulent now than they’ve ever been because the state is slipping from them somewhat for the first time.
As someone who has at minimum, 10 more years in the KC metro, this is encouraging. Where can I read more about this?
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

the state of Kansas City lol but we get Wyandotte and Johnson too.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

chaglang wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:24 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:11 pm

^^^^^

As someone who has at minimum, 10 more years in the KC metro, this is encouraging. Where can I read more about this?
-JoCo is pretty much permanently blue now. And continues to zoom left.
-Riley County, KS voted Dem for the first time *ever*
-Shawnee County voted majority Dem for the first time since 1964. These are all large counties for KS standards. They’re all going blue, fast, and KS being a small state is very susceptible to being taken hostage by a few big counties.

You’ll start to see articles about this around 2024-25. I do this for work so I’ve been following the KS/MO trends for a while. At the rate KS is going, you’ll see a truly contested Senate race in 2026 (unless Dem wins presidency in 2024) and the state will be purple by decades end. It’s gotten bad enough the GOP had to draw a wicked gerrymander just to try to maintain the KS-03 seat.