KC World's Fair

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Re: KC World's Fair

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I'm entirely serious of bringing some sort of big event to KC that puts it on the map for multiple things. The only thing I need to do now is get acquainted with my new home, make new connections, and slowly build things that will be act as a foundation to host a larger event.

The World Urban Forum seems like a good stepping stone event, but we have to improve on the urban development side of things. We might lose points if they were to come here on a scout mission and see the downtown area is encircled in a messy freeway and parking lots take up a large chunk of space across the city. Capping the south highway, removing the north highway, building a new Royals Stadium and associated development in the East Village would go a long way to helping this out, but more needs to be done. A whole lot more.

An event like the World Urban Forum would have to be a thing where KC shows something that it did that the rest of the world didn't think of or did, just we did it better. We have the opportunity to excel with the Streetcar system and a grander BRT system. I think that path, coupled with specialized transit oriented development that's fine-tuned for individual neighborhoods, is what we can excel in.

Back on the World's Fair thing, a Specialized Expo seems more likely to be had (much like what Minneapolis is bidding on for 2027). While I'd like to see a full-on World's Fair/Expo here, as it would fully cement KC as a global hub and city of interest, I understand if we have to shrink down to a Specialized Expo. Even a smaller event like that would have positive results for KC on a global stage.

All events, whether they're a World Urban Forum, Specialized Expo, International Expo, or even the Olympics, would all play into KC being the Heart of America and, at that point, the Heart of the World & Future. These would be extraordinary events where people would want to come, see them, and then revisit the city afterwards.

Am I crazy? Maybe, but sometimes crazy ideas grow to become reality and that's what I'm hoping with here. Someone needs to dream it and, eventually, get the ball rolling. I'm nearly 22, so I have time and KC has time. Preferably, we'd have a big, international event in 2050 to coincide with the 200th anniversary of the founding of the Town of Kansas. That's 28 years. Tick tock...
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

The world urban forum was just in Katowice which is a small city without great transport links. I think KC could definitely get it. Maybe we could coincide a big event with decommissioning the north loop
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Riverite wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:24 am The world urban forum was just in Katowice which is a small city without great transport links. I think KC could definitely get it. Maybe we could coincide a big event with decommissioning the north loop
Katowice is similar in population to St. Louis, but the metro area is more than Kansas City and STL combined, so they're not too small of a city. They seem to have trams as well. But you make a point that if they can get the World Urban Forum, we should be able to as well. I agree that it should coincide with the north loop being decommissioned and removed (preferably afterward when the mess has been cleaned up and new developments start being proposed to relink the city to the River Market).

I think a group of KCRag users, a VisitKC rep, a few council members, and the City Manager or Mayor could easily get together and make an honest pitch to the World Urban Forum to hold a conference here. It wouldn't take much I think and would be a good stepping stone for a larger future event.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

What's the sales pitch, exactly? And what investment is needed for someone to pick us?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:12 pm What's the sales pitch, exactly? And what investment is needed for someone to pick us?
ALL OF THE BIKE LANES
Last edited by Anthony_Hugo98 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:12 pm What's the sales pitch, exactly? And what investment is needed for someone to pick us?
For the World Urban Forum or the other events? I think the World Urban Forum you just submit something to host. I haven’t looked at it much, but it probably involves a venue and proximity to hotels to host attendees.