Chris Stritzel's Drone Photos

A place to post and request pictures of Kansas City.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Chris Stritzel's Drone Photos

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Since I'll be living here most of the time beginning this fall, I figured it would be good to create a dedicated drone photo thread since there will be some photos I take that don't fit into other threads. To start off, here are some from today...

This one is my favorite from today. Most parking lots are hidden and the little TWA rocket makes an appearance.

Eventually, I'll include more photos as I slowly do more of these beginning this fall. The drone I use is a DJI Mavic Pro. I mostly use it for project updates, but it's getting a second usage as a tool I use to assess potential development sites, potential views, and so on. Those types of photos and videos will remain private since they might give away too much information.

Where I fly with the drone is also limited due to flight patterns from the Downtown Airport. For example, I can't get a drone photo of the Oxbow project in NKC because most of NKC is restricted because of the Downtown Airport. Same with the West Bottoms. All of Downtown KC and the Crossroads, as well as the Riverfront, River Market and KCK, can have drone photos taken, just I need to apply to unlock those areas (which is easy).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Chris Stritzel's Drone Photos

Post by FangKC »

I look forward to seeing more drone photos. Thanks for starting the thread.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:42 pm I look forward to seeing more drone photos. Thanks for starting the thread.
x2
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

FangKC wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:42 pm I look forward to seeing more drone photos. Thanks for starting the thread.
Ditto
Karambit25
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Karambit25 »

Yeah man his drone shots are superb! He's got a great eye for the city.

I wish KC could be shot by drone from the north looking south but few people do it.
Does this have something to do with the downtown airspace being protected?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Karambit25 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:57 pm Yeah man his drone shots are superb! He's got a great eye for the city.

I wish KC could be shot by drone from the north looking south but few people do it.
Does this have something to do with the downtown airspace being protected?
Glad to see everyone is excited by the photos I’ll share. I look forward to sharing them.

For the drone photo looking south, I could do it from the River Market area, but once you cross the River, it gets restricted. I’ll have to look exactly where the restrictions take effect, but I don’t think it’s much further north than the riverfront.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Great photos. I love the perspective. Not views you commonly get while driving or walking around downtown. Thanks!

That Two Light-to-Waddel Reed HQ wall will be impressive when 3 Light is finished.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Highlander wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:38 pm Great photos. I love the perspective. Not views you commonly get while driving or walking around downtown. Thanks!

That Two Light-to-Waddel Reed HQ wall will be impressive when 3 Light is finished.
Just wait till 4 Light, the park over highway, and two Cordish buildings in the Crossroads are completed. It will be an amazing view.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:25 pm
Highlander wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:38 pm Great photos. I love the perspective. Not views you commonly get while driving or walking around downtown. Thanks!

Just wait till 4 Light, the park over highway, and two Cordish buildings in the Crossroads are completed. It will be an amazing view.
Would be a great fan experience for the World Cup!
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Now that I'm in town, expect to see more drone photos of projects and things I find interesting around town. Photos start being taken next week. If there are any special requests, I'll try incorporating them when possible (and if allowed).
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

These aren't drone photos, but ones I took with my phone that I thought were cool on my two recent walks downtown.

You might have seen the 9th and Baltimore one on Twitter since it spread a bit (very much to my surprise). I edited the photo to "silvertone" just because. Mark Twain also looks good in color and in silvertone. I can tell that I'm going to have a fun time finding new (to me) vantage points and taking pictures with my phone or good camera (if I have it on me) when I'm out on my long walks.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Being out of town, I REALLY look forward to your pics Chris!
beermestrength
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by beermestrength »

Thank you so much Chris for starting this thread and posting photos. I am really enjoying it.
It is such a breath of fresh air from the endless bickering between some posters this site has become.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Stay tuned! I think you all will like some photos I'll soon post here.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:12 pm Stay tuned! I think you all will like some photos I'll soon post here.
Can't wait, thanks for taking the time to take the pics and post them on here.

KCDowntown
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

no drone photos?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

GRID wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:48 pmno drone photos?
Been a little busy. Haven't gotten around to anything yet. I also have to apply to unlock the geozone in and around downtown.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:59 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:48 pmno drone photos?
Been a little busy. Haven't gotten around to anything yet. I also have to apply to unlock the geozone in and around downtown.
Cool, I'll be there this weekend, but I don't think I'll be bringing the drone. Never had to unlock a geozone, just get a quick LAANC approval. Is this something new there?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Bonus photos from today...
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Today, after having a drone for 2.5 years, I finally learned how to do panoramas and sphere photos. It's something I plan to use more when it comes down to taking "transformation" pictures. These are fun, at least in my view. I'll share the links whenever I take these types of photos. Panoramas will also become common in the future.

The same links were posted in their appropriate threads, but I'll post them here for easy referral...

Power and Light District: https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/powe ... t-district

Troost and Armour: https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/troo ... -boulevard

14th and Wyandotte high-rise: https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/14wy

39th and State Line: https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/39th ... -line-road

From the tip of the Power and Light Building: https://www.skypixel.com/photo360s/p-l-building-tip