Price Mgmt Project at 31st and Main

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Price Mgmt Project at 31st and Main

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:53 pm
normalthings wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:41 pm ^^^^^ more demand, lower costs and barriers to construct
I guess I agree about less costs but renovations compared to new construction is usually SO much cheaper. You would think that renovators for other cities that have used up all stock would start looking to expand. That the old Federal Reserve building is still cold has to say something (though I know there are circumstances there). We got to get booming here some year. Im getting old!
I think they’re atleast moving on Ozark, Midland & Katz renovation now
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Are they moving on Midland? I pass by it nearly every day and haven’t seen any activity yet. I think Dcole said a Fall start date on physical construction, but he can confirm. I can’t wait.

Regardless, I’m hoping the slowness has been the aftershock of Covid and the effects of that. Hopefully as we start to adjust (and fingers crossed on the city’s approval process improvements) we can get some momentum
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is also the Scarritt Building on the NW corner of 9th and Grand.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:05 pm Are they moving on Midland? I pass by it nearly every day and haven’t seen any activity yet. I think Dcole said a Fall start date on physical construction, but he can confirm. I can’t wait.

Regardless, I’m hoping the slowness has been the aftershock of Covid and the effects of that. Hopefully as we start to adjust (and fingers crossed on the city’s approval process improvements) we can get some momentum
Economic head winds are hitting right as incentives clear up. We missed the spat of 2020 and 2021 proposals other cities saw due to our incentive debacle. Now interest rates are going to make many projects dead in the water
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:41 am
Cratedigger wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:05 pm Are they moving on Midland? I pass by it nearly every day and haven’t seen any activity yet. I think Dcole said a Fall start date on physical construction, but he can confirm. I can’t wait.

Economic head winds are hitting right as incentives clear up. We missed the spat of 2020 and 2021 proposals other cities saw due to our incentive debacle. Now interest rates are going to make many projects dead in the water
Material costs are starting to come down significantly, and labor costs are leveling off, so hopefully those factors could do a lot to prevent interest rate rises from stopping the market cold
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

NEgoofyfoot
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by NEgoofyfoot »

FangKC wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:15 pm Image

Ugh 🤦🏼‍♂️ Comparatively that Ability/CCC building is a monstrosity
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Doug Price is at tonight’s Union Hill neighborhood association meeting. This should be…fun.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I should be live-tweeting this; this is comedy gold. Doug Price hasn’t ever ridden the streetcar himself, and wants to wait until he can "see how the streetcar feels" to decide how to move forward with the parcel.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

If anyone is curious about how the rest of this went down, feel free to DM me. The short version of this was “I own it, I’ll do what I want with it, and eff you".
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

He’s not making any friends with this one. With an attitude like that, I imagine anything he proposes will be dead on arrival.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

swid wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:43 pm I should be live-tweeting this; this is comedy gold. Doug Price hasn’t ever ridden the streetcar himself, and wants to wait until he can "see how the streetcar feels" to decide how to move forward with the parcel.
One thing I will say is this is one reason I think alot of the lots along the streetcar line haven't developed -- because they just have to see it to believe it actually will work. Once streetcar extension opens and thrives, then I think the lots in Midtown and other areas will finally develop.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Someone get a video cam on that property. This one's going to burn.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:01 pm Someone get a video cam on that property. This one's going to burn.
:(
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

UMKC Roo wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:54 pm
swid wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:43 pm I should be live-tweeting this; this is comedy gold. Doug Price hasn’t ever ridden the streetcar himself, and wants to wait until he can "see how the streetcar feels" to decide how to move forward with the parcel.
One thing I will say is this is one reason I think alot of the lots along the streetcar line haven't developed -- because they just have to see it to believe it actually will work. Once streetcar extension opens and thrives, then I think the lots in Midtown and other areas will finally develop.
The ignorance of not traveling down Main using Google Maps 2013 vs 2022 is so silly. They can continue to attempt to use this excuse because no one is willing to call them out, shame them for not seeing what has happened.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

CityScene KC
·
UPDATE: Council Neighborhood and Planning Committee unanimously endorses plan to designate buildings at 31st and Main as a protected historic landmark, goes to full Council tomorrow.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Price says if this happens he will just sit on the property and let it deteriorate and then at 3 years tear them down.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:51 am Price says if this happens he will just sit on the property and let it deteriorate and then at 3 years tear them down.
What an asshole
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This and the Seiden building situation are really bleak. It’s really pushing the boundaries of acceptable private property BS when a wall could collapse into the public sidewalk and crush someone to death
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

moderne wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:51 am Price says if this happens he will just sit on the property and let it deteriorate and then at 3 years tear them down.
So, it’s time for the city to actually do their jobs and fine businesses that let their buildings deteriorate! Fines that hurt and change actions.