Local Media Discussion

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Local Media Discussion

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Just wanted to start this topic because I see a lot of KC Star talk punted over to the thread about their building in the Downtown section.

One crazy idea I had today... Start a local syndicate through a DAO governed by smart contract in order to crowdfund a way to buy the Star and turn it into a non profit instead of waiting for a non-existent KC billionaire to save our asses for us.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Local Media Discussion

Post by FangKC »

The KC Star was owned by its' employees from 1926 to 1977.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kansas_City_Star
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

It’s not like they’re all from out of town now. Mike Fannin and Greg Farmer, President and Managing Editor, both live in Olathe. And both have been working for the Star for over 20 years.
Sirius_Blue
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Sirius_Blue »

Oh would it ever be glorious to have a locally owned and staffed newspaper! A Patreon/crowdfunding model might work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sirius_Blue wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:57 am Oh would it ever be glorious to have a locally owned and staffed newspaper! A Patreon/crowdfunding model might work.
The nonprofit model is where it's at! KC Beacon is the first glimmer of hope here, but KCUR has been beefing up its coverage quite a bit in recent years.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:07 am The nonprofit model is where it's at! KC Beacon is the first glimmer of hope here, but KCUR has been beefing up its coverage quite a bit in recent years.
KCUR is a lifeline and I love the Beacon and support them but wish more people would as well so their output could be a little higher.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:38 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:07 am The nonprofit model is where it's at! KC Beacon is the first glimmer of hope here, but KCUR has been beefing up its coverage quite a bit in recent years.
KCUR is a lifeline and I love the Beacon and support them but wish more people would as well so their output could be a little higher.
Once you subtract sports, crime, and editorials (are those really even the 4th estate?), I would guess KCUR's local news output exceeds that of the current KC Star.
Link2
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Link2 »

Melinda Henneberger wins Pulitzer Prize for Star columns on former KCK detective
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:57 am
FlippantCitizen wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:38 am
Once you subtract sports, crime, and editorials (are those really even the 4th estate?), I would guess KCUR's local news output exceeds that of the current KC Star.
Oh yeah for sure. I was referring more to the Beacon on the output point. Though it seems they've consistently ramped up so I hope they can continue to grow.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Link2 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:17 pm Melinda Henneberger wins Pulitzer Prize for Star columns on former KCK detective
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy
And she isn't even at the star anymore. Recently left to write for the Sacramento Bee
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This is article is complexly irrelevant on a KC, Mo-Kan, Midwest, US or even just greater Mississippi basis. Yet it’s on the KC Star Twitter and webpage.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation- ... 84877.html
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

So much of the Star's coverage are these syndicated stories with no relevance to KC. How about doing some investigative journalism on wage theft that I'm sure is occurring in this city somewhere at this very moment? There is an insane focus on weird, grisly, and or salacious stories about crime or accidents that have nothing to do with KC. The Star's webpage makes it look like a tabloid, I've given up even going through the effort of occasionally circumventing their paywall.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Yup. The story Tweeted out immediately following was also not relevant to KC. About a music festival in North Carolina hiring a registered sex offender to play a show.

https://t.co/XTZw9wR9Nr
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

https://twitter.com/KCStar/status/1529611775200612352

"7 tons of pink hot dog filler oozes over interstate after big rig crash, PA cops say"

While objectively hilarious, I really don't need this kind of story from the Star.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

https://twitter.com/RockhillStrat/statu ... 9202304000
Jon Stephens
@RockhillStrat
Spent the morning touring the abandoned
@KCStar
Press Pavilion again. It’s truly an incredible building, iconic really. Built in 2006 for $200 million. Almost 500,000 sq/ft with offices for 400. Now frozen in time.