Weird how SLC has a relatively small downtown residential population

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Weird how SLC has a relatively small downtown residential population

Post by GRID »

I have always been perplexed as to why the SLC skyline has barely changed in 20 years despite having a relatively extensive LRT system and being an outdoorsy city much like Denver. With only 10k downtown residents, that seems small for a city that has invested a lot into their downtown over the past couple of decades.

But it looks like they are starting to catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tt6T3D0tE0
maison rustique
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Weird how SLC has a relatively small downtown residential population

Post by maison rustique »

I'm just guessing, but when I was going to SLC regularly, it struck me as a family-oriented city. Plus the church factor. Remember that the city is centered around the tabernacle. It has only been in recent years that they really had a food and bar scene at all. Again, I'm just guessing.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

So much SFH sprawl in SLC, especially out in places like St. George, Provo and Lake Powell that are rapidly growing.
maison rustique wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:34 am I'm just guessing, but when I was going to SLC regularly, it struck me as a family-oriented city. Plus the church factor. Remember that the city is centered around the tabernacle. It has only been in recent years that they really had a food and bar scene at all. Again, I'm just guessing.
I agree, I think there's a relatively low cost of living (compared to Cali) and less young, single people are moving there than larger families who want SFH. A lot of real estate development is also controlled by the Morman church itself through it's various development enties. You may or may not known, the church is a big landholder in KC area as well, helping develop Shoal Creek as well as owning a large area of land in Lee Summit.

https://fox4kc.com/business/lees-summit ... roperties/

I would say in general, the church's development wing seems to be actually pretty good at diversified mixed-use developments, but they are subject to the market like everybody. Glad to see that SLC is getting a better mix of residential downtown and that there are some affordable options.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are Mormons who believe Independence, Missouri, is still where Jesus will make his City of Zion when he returns to rule Earth. That's why the Mormons continue to build in the area.

Be there or be square, or in this case, temple square.