San Diego Airport

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

San Diego Airport

Post by alejandro46 »

Recently approved re-construction of Terminal 1 of San Diego Airport kicked off last week and this week the Metropolitan Transit System (San Diego Light Rail) is continuing to move forward with a light rail extension to the airport. Notably, the airport has approved $500M as part of the new terminal project for transit upgrades, including potential rail connection. The best route determind by their consultants is identified as a underground tunnel from Hawthorne Street then along Harbor View drive. Will also connect to cruise terminal and allow for future westword expansion.

https://www.sdmts.com/inside-mts/news-r ... lity-study

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ne ... %20country.

Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: San Diego Airport

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Wasn’t there a plan to add a runway to the airport? Or was that dropped all together? This seems like one of those airports that’s just destined to be a pain because of geography going forward.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I am surprised San Diego has never considered moving the airport away from downtown. Don't get me wrong, i love the location of the airport, i have walked to that light rail station off Laurel plenty of times. I just think that location would make the perfect planned community, it's proximity to downtown, the beaches, the light rail would add some great density to San Diego.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:51 am I am surprised San Diego has never considered moving the airport away from downtown. Don't get me wrong, i love the location of the airport, i have walked to that light rail station off Laurel plenty of times. I just think that location would make the perfect planned community, it's proximity to downtown, the beaches, the light rail would add some great density to San Diego.
A proposal to share a new airport with Marine Corps Air Station Miramar was rejected in 2006. I think any other location would be too expensive. Instead they are re-building the entire Terminal 1 as part of a larger $3.4B modernization project.

https://www.newt1.com/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

San Diego always is among the top most dangerous airports on lists.