OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... d-use.html
A Kansas City developer has its wheels turning on how to reposition a 100-year-old industrial site just west of Kansas City's IRS Processing Center as a thriving entertainment district with a mix of uses — including a 170-foot Ferris wheel.

Local developer 3D Development eyes an urban artifact park, Pennway Point, on about 6 underused acres that include the brick former Carter-Waters building northwest of Pennway and 25th streets. The site sits between Interstate 35 and the IRS center.
Also, attempting to split this off got a bit messy so we lost the last few posts (which were just conversation).
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by grovester »

I like seeing an interesting project go into a difficult location. Not sure the financials would work with pricey land at 19th and McGee.

I don't think it would have any problem getting visitors from Crown Center or Union Station, it's a straight shot and visible from both. Boulevard is in an even more disjointed spot and has not trouble attracting people from both downtown and the burbs.

Could ultimately be a good stepping stone to some of the other far flung spots, Penn Valley, SW blvd, west side.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Go walk this from union station. It's a mess from the moment you head west.

I'm still confused how they think they can realistically tie into the green line. The union station bridge ain't going to work. Maybe a trail underneath 35?
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

grovester wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:23 am I don't think it would have any problem getting visitors from Crown Center or Union Station, it's a straight shot and visible from both. Boulevard is in an even more disjointed spot and has not trouble attracting people from both downtown and the burbs.

Could ultimately be a good stepping stone to some of the other far flung spots, Penn Valley, SW blvd, west side.
It might not be too far from a distance perspective but I'm having a tough time imagining how the accessibility of the area would encourage people to go from Union Station over to this site. Down Pershing, across Broadway, and down to 25th street isn't a fun walk. Underneath may be the best route but there's a lot of unavailable space between the post office, IRS, and railroad properties. It could probably be done but I think it would take some work to do it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by earthling »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:23 am As to repeat business: I agree with everyone’s concerns. I also had that concern with the relatively isolated Bar K and Chicken Pickle. However, both have done very well despite being even smaller destinations.
Might help if they run electric golf cart style shuttles/trams to/from Union Station on weekends or have flyers at US visitors pavilion with QR code that triggers phone purchase and maybe an Uber ride included or triggers a small electric tram for pickup. Something along those lines. Making the trek from US to this complex more ped friendly would be even more ideal.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Heck they should have pitched this to the city as a Washington square park replacement.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

shaffe wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:37 am
grovester wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:23 am I don't think it would have any problem getting visitors from Crown Center or Union Station, it's a straight shot and visible from both. Boulevard is in an even more disjointed spot and has not trouble attracting people from both downtown and the burbs.

It might not be too far from a distance perspective but I'm having a tough time imagining how the accessibility of the area would encourage people to go from Union Station over to this site. Down Pershing, across Broadway, and down to 25th street isn't a fun walk. Underneath may be the best route but there's a lot of unavailable space between the post office, IRS, and railroad properties. It could probably be done but I think it would take some work to do it.
My assumption is that they will enter in the structures facing Broadway via elevator, stairs or escalator.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

would be fun if Boulevard ran like tram service, like at WOF or the Zoo. just something you could hop on to ride over if you did not feel like walking. Maybe same to Union Station, Maybe created a dedicated tram path to Union Station. I'm not familiar 100% of the details down there, where the rail lines are etc. But I would assume they are looking at pedestrian friendly connectors to Crown Center area and BLVB area. If they ask for incentives the Council could require such a setup of some kind in order to grant incentives.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

It would be pretty easy to improve the pedestrian experience just by putting Pershing on a road diet, way overbuilt, add more space to sidewalks and medians.

Also will need to improve the intersection crossings.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah the space is there. We also have a ton higher priority road diet locations. I'm not a fan of building something disconnected and then spending money to connect it better. Feels like urban sprawl.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

This location is horrible. There's better views that are easier to get to and free at Liberty Memorial without highway noise. Why would anyone do this more than once? This should get zero incentives.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Wow, I'm really surprised how negative some of the comments are around this project. To me it's an on-trend and interesting use for a very difficult site, and it's location between Boulevard Beer Hall, Union Station, and Liberty Memorial could create some synergy between all of these destinations. That is of course assuming the very real access issues are improved.

Sure, the idea of placing this in Washington Square Park or the like is awesome, but this is the site that is available, without the added red tape of park land etc. And to reiterate, I really really like the proximity and connection to BLVD - the view from their insanely popular beer hall is great, and this will be similar and close enough to make a destination of the two. Greenline seems like vaporware at this point but if something like this gets it off the ground and built out at reasonable scale faster, all the better.

As normalthings noted the ferris wheel and operator is the same as STL (170 - 200ft, Icon Experiences). Providing space for LUMI Neon Museum is really cool and IMO exactly the type of thing downtown needs - cultural and recreational experiences apart from just F&B. And that said, some of the potential operators on the F&B side I've heard tossed around sound pretty legit.

All wait and see at this time, and I personally feel like 3D may be overreaching, especially on the new construction side with these projects, but the vision is definitely there. Hope it comes to fruition as advertised.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Put it next to the beer hall then. The land is available and.cheap for a reason.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:30 am Go walk this from union station. It's a mess from the moment you head west.

I'm still confused how they think they can realistically tie into the green line. The union station bridge ain't going to work. Maybe a trail underneath 35?
You will walk between this and US along the tracks at ground level.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

The site is served by the 47 which i bet will run more frequent by this opening. It's also accessible from Penn Valley Park. Projects like this are what could increase transit ridership and foot traffic in the vicinity. Also there is plenty of parking so that alone makes it accessible to most of our citizens by default lol.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:25 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:30 am Go walk this from union station. It's a mess from the moment you head west.

How? The green line is the other side
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

daGOAT wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:32 pm The site is served by the 47 which i bet will run more frequent by this opening. It's also accessible from Penn Valley Park. Projects like this are what could increase transit ridership and foot traffic in the vicinity. Also there is plenty of parking so that alone makes it accessible to most of our citizens by default lol.
Technically it is touching PVP. Not in a space anybody uses or can traverse though
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:41 pm
normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:25 pm

How? The green line is the other side
You will walk between this and Union Station at ground level along the train tracks. Not a bad walk between this and Science Center once they add landscaping, etc.

IMHO: the best location for a ferris wheel would have been the Science City green lawn or WSP.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Could work. The whole complex could go on top of US garage as well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I do apologize I had this on the block south in my mind. This would link together better for sure