OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:53 am Are KU fans packing the P&L district for the games like they do for the Chiefs and Royals?
Yep. Should be pretty nuts for the Final Four this weekend, possible title game too.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:27 am
GRID wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:25 pm Wouldn't it be better if the tourney brought in fans from other teams rather than KU who live in the area?
A little off subject but KC maybe a big benefactor from the changes occurring in the B12 (as long as Kansas stays in the that conference). Cincy and Houston support their bball teams quite well. BYU has a very active fan base. OU will no longer be around to lobby for OKC as a tournament venue. Fortunately, KC falls near the geographic center of the new B12 to some extent (still a bit too much centered weighted towards Texas w/ Tech, Baylor, TCU and Houston comprising a third of the conference)
Okay…I literally said this ENTIRE thing all last summer in the Big 12 page

My entire premise last July was that OU & UT leaving was the greatest thing to ever happen to KC sports industry

And I took about 500,000 arrows from this entire message board for having the foresight to see this.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:53 am Are KU fans packing the P&L district for the games like they do for the Chiefs and Royals?
Not packing the outside area but this Saturday will be a good test. It’s hard for PNL to promote a watch event considering they can’t say NCAA, March Madness, Final Four, KU etc.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:08 pm
Not packing the outside area but this Saturday will be a good test. It’s hard for PNL to promote a watch event considering they can’t say NCAA, March Madness, Final Four, KU etc.
You would think the NCAA would like the exposure. Guess that's not how it works. I assume you can show the games on the big screen?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:13 pm
Highlander wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:27 am
GRID wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:25 pm Wouldn't it be better if the tourney brought in fans from other teams rather than KU who live in the area?
A little off subject but KC maybe a big benefactor from the changes occurring in the B12 (as long as Kansas stays in the that conference). Cincy and Houston support their bball teams quite well. BYU has a very active fan base. OU will no longer be around to lobby for OKC as a tournament venue. Fortunately, KC falls near the geographic center of the new B12 to some extent (still a bit too much centered weighted towards Texas w/ Tech, Baylor, TCU and Houston comprising a third of the conference)
Okay…I literally said this ENTIRE thing all last summer in the Big 12 page

My entire premise last July was that OU & UT leaving was the greatest thing to ever happen to KC sports industry

And I took about 500,000 arrows from this entire message board for having the foresight to see this.
I don't follow college sports, even a little bit. But KC has a long history of hosting big college basketball tourneys and should host more big college football games. It's too bad the NCAA moved to Indy.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:16 pm I don't follow college sports, even a little bit. But KC has a long history of hosting big college basketball tourneys and should host more big college football games. It's too bad the NCAA moved to Indy.
Grid, in short, it’s just a bunch of boomer brains who still think it’s the 80s & 90s where Texas is a dynasty football program and they can’t understand that in current day we’re better off without being ruled by a has-been shitty program that hasn’t been relevant since like 2009.

And now without OU & UT, Dallas will lose its influence and KC will gain from it.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:24 pm And now without OU & UT, Dallas will lose its influence and KC will gain from it.
I hope you're right. Big 12 HQ is still in Dallas right now though. And Jerry is going to fight to keep the championship game.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

freedog wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:29 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:24 pm And now without OU & UT, Dallas will lose its influence and KC will gain from it.
I hope you're right. Big 12 HQ is still in Dallas right now though. And Jerry is going to fight to keep the championship game.
It goes beyond that. KU is now the premier power in the Big 12 with the departure of UT/OU. KU’s home base is KC. The new geographic center of the ‘new Big12’ is KC too. It makes alot of sense to go to KC now.

Who’s gonna fight to keep Dallas the spot? TCU? I’d be gunning for the new HQ of the Big 12. Definitely try to pry the championship game.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:14 pm
You would think the NCAA would like the exposure. Guess that's not how it works. I assume you can show the games on the big screen?
It's very weird, they show the games on the big screen with no issues but can't say certain things in advertising. Well, they could like other local bars do but PNL is a bigger target. The networks will most often send down a camera on the bigger events.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:14 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:14 pm

It's very weird, they show the games on the big screen with no issues but can't say certain things in advertising. Well, they could like other local bars do but PNL is a bigger target. The networks will most often send down a camera on the bigger events.
I was wondering, are they gonna do a camera shot of PNL for the Final Four?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is advertising really a reason people wouldn't go there? I mean you can't say "super bowl" and PNL was packed for super bowl watch parties and it was February!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Back to the topic of Pennway Point, please.
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

If all goes as planned, Pennway Point would be completed by the 2023 NFL draft, with hopes of drawing a lot more people to downtown Kansas City.
No way...

I mean I hope this happens! But there's no way it's built out in the ~360 days we have before the draft
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

freedog wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:09 pm
If all goes as planned, Pennway Point would be completed by the 2023 NFL draft, with hopes of drawing a lot more people to downtown Kansas City.
No way...

I mean I hope this happens! But there's no way it's built out in the ~360 days we have before the draft
The Ferris wheel does not take long to construct once on site. Not sure where they are at with the renovations .
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Definitely most overrated project on this whole board

I guess while we're at it, I'll award the most underrated project to: 5th & Main at River Market
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

If 3D gets this done in time, and Kansas City could manage to "break ground" on South Loop Link, along with having a brand new airport at the time of the event, people might get the idea they are visiting a growing and dynamic city. Who knows, when the NYC developers taking a chance on KC have success more equity might pure into the city.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

I still don't get how people are supposed to actually get to this thing. Pershing/Broadway is pretty pedestrian hostile and there's no (public) path underneath to connect to this parcel. I guess people drive and park on site but is this really going to be that much of a destination?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

shaffe wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:14 pm I still don't get how people are supposed to actually get to this thing. Pershing/Broadway is pretty pedestrian hostile and there's no (public) path underneath to connect to this parcel. I guess people drive and park on site but is this really going to be that much of a destination?
I believe that path underneath would need to be built out - part of Greenline. Then people could walk from Crossroads or Union Station.

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

daGOAT wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:08 pm If 3D gets this done in time
Wouldn’t bet on it