OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by taxi »

Save Ferris wheel.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

kboish wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:51 am Hopefully it will help improve the summit underpass- which is always very sketchy- and become connected to Southwest Blvd.
Last time I biked through there it had become a homeless camp.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

taxi wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:56 am Save Ferris wheel.
And there it is LOL.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... d-use.html
"ICON Experiences is thrilled to be part of reimagining the way locals and visitors experience downtown KC," the company said in an email statement Tuesday. "At nearly 180 feet tall, the giant observation wheel planned for Pennway Point will deliver stunning, 360-degree views as passengers relax in their own completely enclosed, climate-controlled gondola. The unique indoor-outdoor experience operates 365 days a year, making it a perfect complement to the mixed-use site."

The Ferris wheel will sport a colorful combination of LED lights, lending to baby gender reveals, holidays, sports team support, cause awareness and proposals, among other community-engaging uses, according to ICON Experiences.

Pennway Point also envisions an indoor and outdoor location for the The Lumi Neon Museum; a tailgate park with yard games; and spaces for a blend of local, best-of food and beverage operators, including in an adaptive reuse of the approximately four-story, 31,500-square-foot Carter-Waters building.

The development would feature a trailhead park connecting to the Greenline KC recreational trail, a proposal long championed by 3D Development founder Vince Bryant and illustrated as an eventual eight-mile loop around Downtown.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think it's going to be a fun and unique place. Considering where this is, it's just right. Ferris Wheel will be visible way down the highway.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

At nearly 180 feet high, the wheel cannot have been to scale in the renderings.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I did think the Ferris Wheel looked awfully small in those first renderings.

It looks bigger in this one (although I'm still not sure about 180 ft):

Here is a flythrough as well, where it also appears bigger:

https://www.dream-design-develop.com/ppflythrough
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Would rather see a tallish double Ferris wheel but maybe not made anymore given higher maintenance, not sure. From some quick searches, apparently fans like them because you get more spins at the upper level while the lower level is being loaded.

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I actually think the best thing about the Ferris Wheel being right there is when you’re driving down the highway it makes the urban core look lively instead of dead.

Not that anyone thinks it’s necessarily dead. But it makes it appear more lively when driving by than your standard Indianapolis or some shit.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The Ferris wheel is neat and a pretty standard attraction in many major cities now. I agree with AlkaliAxel that it will be a huge marketing tool for this district as it will be so visible from the interstate. I looked at at the marketing PDF and it looked like the wheel was a carnival ride or something like the ferris wheel at worlds of fun. If it's an actual 180'-200' wheel with climate controlled capsules, that's more in line with what is in StL, Atlanta and DC and most other places that don't have the really big wheels like Vegas. It will be just one more thing to make downtown lively.

I think this district could be a really cool area. I don't ever see the office building happening, why not just build a residential building in the first phase?

You know what would have made this project even more amazing? If the baseball stadium were at the spot where the IRS is now. I know, that's ship sailed when the IRS was built there, but still.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think calling it a "district" is overstating it a bit.

This seems to me another disconnected development. Maybe they can connect it better but anybody that's ever walked this (not many) can attest to that. I mean look how much parking they want. This could be an iron district with a ferris wheel maybe. It's not a big enough lot to be a wheel of any sort of size. Seems more like what boulvardia puts up
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Probably should split this off into its own topic
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:40 pm The Ferris wheel is neat and a pretty standard attraction in many major cities now. I agree with AlkaliAxel that it will be a huge marketing tool for this district as it will be so visible from the interstate. I looked at at the marketing PDF and it looked like the wheel was a carnival ride or something like the ferris wheel at worlds of fun. If it's an actual 180'-200' wheel with climate controlled capsules, that's more in line with what is in StL, Atlanta and DC and most other places that don't have the really big wheels like Vegas. It will be just one more thing to make downtown lively.

I think this district could be a really cool area. I don't ever see the office building happening, why not just build a residential building in the first phase?

You know what would have made this project even more amazing? If the baseball stadium were at the spot where the IRS is now. I know, that's ship sailed when the IRS was built there, but still.
It is the same make and model as the Ferris wheels in those cities.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:07 pm I think calling it a "district" is overstating it a bit.

This seems to me another disconnected development. Maybe they can connect it better but anybody that's ever walked this (not many) can attest to that. I mean look how much parking they want. This could be an iron district with a ferris wheel maybe. It's not a big enough lot to be a wheel of any sort of size. Seems more like what boulvardia puts up
I was honestly thinking the same things. Lot's of parking and bar or two and a smallish ferris wheel. But if then people say I'm negative. It looks like a nice little place to have a few nightlife places or something similar to other parts of the crossroads, but it's really the wheel that makes it interesting. But if it's a relatively small wheel that basically just gives views of the freeway, I really am not sure I get it.

I still think it's a good use of the space though. Not a lot will work there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think it would be much cooler to drop this same idea at 19th and McGee. This just seems so forced and weird location. Saying it's tied to the green line is a stretch.

I'm open to seeing more details though.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's a risky location off the beaten path (from streetcar line) and a bit disconnected from Union Station, not exactly a ped friendly trek. Hopefully it can sustain itself long term but it could be one of things people do only once and never go back. If it were closer to streetcar line, would probably get more repeat visits just out of a routine thing to do, especially for suburban families with weekend daytrip visits. It seems it will end up as an isolated car destination at best disconnected from the urban fabric. Best of luck to them, hope I'm wrong. Maybe it will drive some ped friendly improvements to US.
Last edited by earthling on Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:51 pm I think it would be much cooler to drop this same idea at 19th and McGee. This just seems so forced and weird location. Saying it's tied to the green line is a stretch.

I'm open to seeing more details though.
Yeah, over by the Star building makes a lot more sense for something like this. Especially if the stadium ends up over there somewhere. But let them try. That way it will eventually settle into something, even if only a few restaurants with parking lots.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

It's an interesting idea and not a terrible location, but I'm not sure the views are going to be that thrilling, or different from Liberty Memorial

North

East

South

West

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:36 pm
East

A lot of solar panels need to be placed on the IRS buildings.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The more we build up the urban core with projects like this, it makes me wonder if residents start to realize how insane all these highways since they're just getting in the way of everything.

I also agree that this shouldn't be called a district. Bright spot is the Greenline.

Most importantly, this project should NOT come ahead of the Freight House Project.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

This is the same wheel as STL. Very sizable and enclosed and conditioned. The operator has experience with these across the US. I agree that better locations may exist for this project but that doesn’t mean the land was available etc.

As to repeat business: I agree with everyone’s concerns. I also had that concern with the relatively isolated Bar K and Chicken Pickle. However, both have done very well despite being even smaller destinations.