OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by KCPowercat »

Any chance of this linking to the larger trail and people using it would require a surface level railroad crossing. No way that happens
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:59 pm I do apologize I had this on the block south in my mind. This would link together better for sure
^I may have overstated concerns as well. Several ways things can be reconfigured for better ped access between US and this site. A ped entrance could be placed raised up where Pershing meets as well.

Last edited by earthling on Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:19 am Heck they should have pitched this to the city as a Washington square park replacement.
Now that would be a pretty sweet spot for a development like this.

Don't get me wrong, I think the general idea is good for this location (pennway point). Face it, this location will mostly be a "drive to" destination. Just make it some cool bars and restaurants and maybe some residential and move on. Something like the ferris wheel etc needs to be placed in a central location near the streetcar line and very walkable from hotels and other attractions or I just don't see it being successful.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Agree that would be more ideal and pointed it out too as repeat visits might be less likely being off beaten path. But they could reduce risk by bundling packages with Science City and other US/Crown Center activities. And when walking from US to complex, the Ferris wheel should be in view, which cuts the perception of the walk.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Surprising given this is the same developer they didn't try this on the north side of the tracks at walnut where they were doing the housing project.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

earthling wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:22 pm Agree that would be more ideal and pointed it out too as repeat visits might be less likely being off beaten path. But they could reduce risk by bundling packages with Science City and other US/Crown Center activities.
There is just no way around that nearly everybody will drive to the location and once there, they won't interact with surrounding things. That area is not a huge area and so way too much of the land will be for parking. A wheel and other entertainment/dining etc at WSP or nearby area would create all kinds of pedestrian activity in the area. I mean, it would literally draw people into the park like crazy from all directions and totally activate that area of the city. This pennway project will function as an isolated island, even though some people will walk there.

Not to mention the views from WSP of both downtown and crown center / liberty memorial would be incredible.

I know I'm beating a dead horse (that was never alive to begin with), but I have always envisioned something like this in or near WSP along the RR tracks. It's just so central to everything.

At least this has a chance of happening relatively soon. WSP has not changed in decades and is a totally wasted park and doesn't look like anything will happen there for at least another decade. It's just kind of a bummer that when KC gets a wheel which I think would be cool since Downtown KC would be pretty neat from a wheel perspective, it's in maybe the worst location in downtown for such an attraction.

Hopefully it works out and if it doesn't, something better can be built in or near WSP in 2035 or something lol.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Hot take, maybe we can just try to get the city to vote down this plan so we can then root for it to be placed elsewhere. Or atleast the Ferris Wheel part. Because I see literally no upside except for the Wheel looks cool coming down the highway.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Depending on what tenants move in, and the prices, this might become a new hangout spot for me. The Ferris wheel is more of a landmark than anything for this, and that’s likely to draw attention to the area. Without the Ferris wheel acting as a “beacon”, a doubt many people would know Pennway Point would exist. There’s room for growth just west of the site on the other side of the highway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd say at this location it should get no city incentive help. Put it somewhere else maybe
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

This parcel was always one I had in mind to build a large employee park-and-ride garage to keep parking, and more garages, out of the Downtown Loop. Then run a spur streetcar line to end here and run it east to Main. This could also have been a secondary streetcar maintenance facility in addition to the garage.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:32 pm This parcel was always one I had in mind to build a large employee park-and-ride garage to keep parking, and more garages, out of the Downtown Loop. Then run a spur streetcar line to end here and run it east to Main. This could also have been a secondary streetcar maintenance facility in addition to the garage.
Stand-alone Streetcar spurs don’t seem like a good plan
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm I'd say at this location it should get no city ince give help. Put it somewhere else maybe
Agree at least no incentives that would put the City at risk. It could work but there are better locations. I'd put it on top of the Union Station garage if it can structurally support it.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah i don't think we need any incentives for entertainment things like this downtown if there are no historic buildings saved. I could see a sales tax abatement for construction, but no property tax abatements.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I bet they try and CID that for sales tax income
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like the project, it adds some fresh ideas and uses some "dead space" I like that it helps draw more attention to the Westside & SW BLVD area from the attractions just East. Yes ppl know about BLVD Beer hall and facility and those in the know love the dining and such in the area. But maybe this gets more ppl interested in what is going on over there. It serves as a nice connector attraction to the West. It might spur on some more friendly clean up and pedestrian friendly development, landscaping, sidewalks lighting, etc. in a basically industrial railroad corridor. I like it and I like what other ideas could happen from it. There are the National Archives & Ballet Bldg just West of Union Staion but maybe this helps develop those areas as well in terms of looking nicer, more inviting. Let's get it going and keep the ideas and momentum rolling. COVID kick us in the balls for 2 yrs, let's take the lid of the idea box and roll
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

Sure, the project is off the beaten path but W 25th St has redevelopment potential going further West and probably wouldn't see as much pushback as, say, Westside Flats or the 29Belle townhomes. The view will be amazing, driving up the 35 is always my favorite entry point into downtown and I can imagine it being a popular shot when the city is shown off on TV.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:43 am
FangKC wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:32 pm This parcel was always one I had in mind to build a large employee park-and-ride garage to keep parking, and more garages, out of the Downtown Loop. Then run a spur streetcar line to end here and run it east to Main. This could also have been a secondary streetcar maintenance facility in addition to the garage.
Stand-alone Streetcar spurs don’t seem like a good plan
+1
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Just because it's a spur doesn't mean it doesn't go anywhere. The cars would stop and start at Broadway and Pershing from the garage, but go east to Main than then jog north and south to 12th, 18th, or Linwood and head east using Main -- depending on which east-west line seems logical. For example, a streetcar from here to 12th could haul commuters to the Federal Building. If the baseball stadium ends up in the East Village, it would also haul park-and-ride baseball fans from a garage there to the baseball stadium. It also would run by thousand of IRS workers who could take trains to 12th and eastward or Linwood eastward. Having a secondary maintenance facility in the lower level of the garage would make sense here too.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

FangKC wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:46 pm Having a secondary maintenance facility in the lower level of the garage would make sense here too.
While I don’t disagree with the sentiment of a secondary maintenance facility, I’d imagine there is incredibly limited utility in having one at mid line (once the main extension opens). You’d be better off with one at the end of the extension before putting one midway IMO.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Too bad a Ferris wheel like this couldn’t go on the downtown cap project.

I also am against city incentives for any other “entertainment” districts that might directly compete with the PNL district. Feels like a bad move creating more competition when they’re already helping to subsidize PNL.