OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Pennway Point

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:22 pm Too bad a Ferris wheel like this couldn’t go on the downtown cap project.

I also am against city incentives for any other “entertainment” districts that might directly compete with the PNL district. Feels like a bad move creating more competition when they’re already helping to subsidize PNL.
Views from the cap won’t last long
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:15 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:22 pm Too bad a Ferris wheel like this couldn’t go on the downtown cap project.

I also am against city incentives for any other “entertainment” districts that might directly compete with the PNL district. Feels like a bad move creating more competition when they’re already helping to subsidize PNL.
Views from the cap won’t last long
Placed in the correct location and at 180', should always have good views to the south. Place is right over walnut and you could see down the road to the north.

This project just seems counterproductive but I'm not opposed to it in general. A ferris wheel somewhere is better than nowhere.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

Counter productive to businesses it might compete with? Yeah. Looks like it offers a completely different type of recreation and entertainment than exist in P&L. Plenty of room for both.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:25 pm Counter productive to businesses it might compete with? Yeah. Looks like it offers a completely different type of recreation and entertainment than exist in P&L. Plenty of room for both.
Bars, restaurants, large screen for "watch parties". Sounds like PNL.

Not opposed to competition to PNL, opposed to the city offering incentives to a new project that could mean less revenue for a project they're subsidizing. Literally makes no sense.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Orlando is proof that competing entertainment venues can also feed/feed off one another. This will be good for KC. It can grow the pie and is no less worthy of incentives than P&L.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:23 pm
FlippantCitizen wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:25 pm Counter productive to businesses it might compete with? Yeah. Looks like it offers a completely different type of recreation and entertainment than exist in P&L. Plenty of room for both.
Bars, restaurants, large screen for "watch parties". Sounds like PNL.

Not opposed to competition to PNL, opposed to the city offering incentives to a new project that could mean less revenue for a project they're subsidizing. Literally makes no sense.

We don't know what incentives this project might seek so setting that aside for a moment. There might be watch parties and musical performances hosted but IMO that is where the similarities end. There is no active recreation at P&L aside from maybe the axe throwing place. Volleyball, pickle ball, a dog park are all things not at P&L. This will probably see a lot more daytime usage. Also watch parties at P&L are in my opinion overcrowded and personally I'll say that can be a turn off to attending. I think the demand for public watch parties of sporting events can support competing locations. P&L is fine for those who like it but if they are smart Pennway Point will have a different flavor to its programing to draw on a people who don't frequent P&L much, myself included.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Gonna be honest idk who would go out of their way to the middle of nothing to a watch party that borders some highways & train tracks when you could go hangout downtown at P&L and do it
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:25 pm Gonna be honest idk who would go out of their way to the middle of nothing to a watch party that borders some highways & train tracks when you could go hangout downtown at P&L and do it
Im the first person you can think of who would do something like that for multiple reasons. One being that if it’s off the beaten path, less people will show up and I can enjoy it more.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

missingkc wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:36 pm Orlando is proof that competing entertainment venues can also feed/feed off one another. This will be good for KC. It can grow the pie and is no less worthy of incentives than P&L.
I think when the incentives were agreed to for PNL, downtown KC desperately needed something to help resurrect downtown in general. I don’t think this project is needed at all but it’s a great project. My only hesitation is on the incentives side.

Just like I wouldn’t be in support of the city providing incentives to another downtown arena, similar in size to T-Mobile.

This is also still a small market, too many people fighting for the same 10,000 people a weekend can be devastating to all involved.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:43 pm
missingkc wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:36 pm Orlando is proof that competing entertainment venues can also feed/feed off one another. This will be good for KC. It can grow the pie and is no less worthy of incentives than P&L.
I think when the incentives were agreed to for PNL, downtown KC desperately needed something to help resurrect downtown in general. I don’t think this project is needed at all but it’s a great project. My only hesitation is on the incentives side.

Just like I wouldn’t be in support of the city providing incentives to another downtown arena, similar in size to T-Mobile.

This is also still a small market, too many people fighting for the same 10,000 people a weekend can be devastating to all involved.
This project is being pitched as a KC version of what was done at STL Union Station. Even some of the same players. This is a family-friendly activity center and not a P&L competitor.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:37 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:25 pm Gonna be honest idk who would go out of their way to the middle of nothing to a watch party that borders some highways & train tracks when you could go hangout downtown at P&L and do it
Im the first person you can think of who would do something like that for multiple reasons. One being that if it’s off the beaten path, less people will show up and I can enjoy it more.
100% why I'd choose it as well
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:22 pmI also am against city incentives for any other “entertainment” districts that might directly compete with the PNL district. Feels like a bad move creating more competition when they’re already helping to subsidize PNL.
If P&L was created to be a monopoly on downtown entertainment we shouldn’t have built it
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No way these things take business from the other. This thing seems like a nicer Iron District
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If we're going to build another entertainment strip, it should be next to the Royals new stadium.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Without a doubt that will happen
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:46 pm If we're going to build another entertainment strip, it should be next to the Royals new stadium.
This is a family friendly event center more akin to Chicken Pickel and Main Event. Chill everyone
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't see this development significantly affecting P&L. It's a completely different concept. I think it would do better being in the parking lots around Boulevard Brewery and KC Barbeque Society though, and could serve as part of their tours and event space.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0859244 ... a=!3m1!1e3

I do hope that Lumi Neon Museum does find a space downtown though. I've always thought that the KC Auto Museum and Lumi Neon Museum should team up and combine their museums since a space with vintage vehicles and neon signs just seems appropriate to me.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:25 pm
DColeKC wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:22 pmI also am against city incentives for any other “entertainment” districts that might directly compete with the PNL district. Feels like a bad move creating more competition when they’re already helping to subsidize PNL.
If P&L was created to be a monopoly on downtown entertainment we shouldn’t have built it
Once again. Referring to city incentives going to this particular project. Not that the project shouldn’t happen.

PNL was created to revitalize downtown and spur other economic development and that’s been a dramatic success.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Does this opinion extend to housing? Only Cordish should get housing incentives downtown?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:39 am Does this opinion extend to housing? Only Cordish should get housing incentives downtown?
No. The city isn't subsidizing any of the residential each year due to over projecting the tax revenue generated and the residential market has remained strong.

This isn't a Cordish vs other developers opinion but I'm not surprised you took it there. For the record, I'd also be much more likely to attend a watch party at Pennway Point than PNL because I also don't enjoy large crowds.