413 Delaware Infill

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: 413 Delaware Infill

Post by earthling »

FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:25 pm This is a significant project -- more than it seems. It's because it's such a small parcel, and it's mixed-use that appears to not be seeking incentives. When small parcels like this start getting developed, it means the streetcar line is make those parcels valuable.
^Bingo
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

FangKC wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:25 pm This is a significant project -- more than it seems. It's because it's such a small parcel, and it's mixed-use that appears to not be seeking incentives. When small parcels like this start getting developed, it means the streetcar line is make those parcels valuable.
I expect that if this is successful (as in hotel rooms have high levels of occupancy throughout the year, the two residential units are occupied, and the commercial space is leased), there will be more projects like this.

And I can't help but think about how interesting this stretch of Delaware will be to look at in 2-3 years. By then, 413, 5th and Main, and the shipping container development should all be done. Varying building types, sizes, usages, and so on that are all connected by the Streetcar. Ideal urbanism and density, maybe?
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

And the more projects like this pop up in River Market the more and more pressure there will be to connect the district with downtown and rip up that north loop.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It's been close to 5 months now and we haven't heard an update on this one. Unsure if the uncertainty in the economy caught up to the development team or if they're still working out details, but this is a project I'm really rooting for

The size, usages, and design are all ideal for this neighborhood and if successful, it will have positive repercussions elsewhere on the streetcar line and in the city.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

How the hell is this impacted by height restrictions? It's a 5 story building next to a 4 story building!

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ights.html
daGOAT
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by daGOAT »

that's absurd. they just need to change flight patterns and let the city do its thing. Lord knows she deserves every quality project in the pipeline to be built and add to the experience of her streets.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

They basically said in the article that they’re gonna wait till Platt figures out an overall height exception for the whole district. Because it’s just affecting everyone there now.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

It's wild since these aren't even in a flight path.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Agreed, this whole constant checking with the FAA on heights is absurd, especially if RM is not within a flight plan, take off or approach. I guess perhaps there is some sort of area affected if there was an emergency and they need to approach directly overhead and or circle around to land if a engines fails, etc. on takeoff.

But from what I have read it seems like a lot of this stems from FAA authority granted like 50-60 yrs ago and has never been amended or changed since. The law firm developers (or city maybe) are experts in this area and are looking to "rezone" the entire market to have new updated guidelines so developers & the city and maximize use of product with density, and vertical is most cost effective. My guess is they will set a cap of nothing larger than 12-15 stories on the East side, 8-10 on the West side max
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

This smells like politics and pissing match.

Quality Hill hosts several buildings far taller and closer to the glidepath than anything in River Market.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

How did the 5 story Rivermarket West or 6 story building north of 122 Delaware get approved?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There are several 6-story buildings in the River Market.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The news of the Flaherty and Collins project makes me wonder if this has been addressed as well. They’re right next door to each other.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:07 am The news of the Flaherty and Collins project makes me wonder if this has been addressed as well. They’re right next door to each other.
Sounds likely. This was Platt's quote
“We are working through a few potential solutions to minimized the conflicts between air space and development more broadly across the entire area rather than reacting to individual projects.”
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

All the talk about the FAA has me wondering about this project. Hopefully the delay + rise in interest rates didn’t kill this one
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:13 am All the talk about the FAA has me wondering about this project. Hopefully the delay + rise in interest rates didn’t kill this one
It's likely temporarily shelved due to rising material costs then the interest rate increases. The delay from the FAA didn't help the situation.