Panasonic Electric Vehicle Battery Plant (Mystery Kansas 'Mega Project')

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Mystery Kansas 'Mega Project'

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Highlander wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:44 pm This is huge. Take away the federal government and area hospitals and Panasonic becomes the third largest employer in the metro. It will have a huge impact on SW metro housing as well.

https://edckc.com/why-kcmo/major-employers/
I saw today Oklahoma was touting a $27 mil factory as a win. That just puts in perspective how fucking massive and monumental this $4 bil plant is.
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »

Last month there were articles talking about Panasonic having two separate, but similar $4 bil projects. Does anybody know more about that and whether it will most likely lead to the second project being built here as well?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... plant.html
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Awesome to see this happen in the KC metro. Helps boost our economy for sure. Love the spinoff & synergy potential it will hold for other current businesses in the area as well as future development deals.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Time to rename the thread?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I agree, we should rename and keep track of this. Likely they will be interest from the Tesla/EV community. For example, there are people who make weekly drone videos of construction of Tesla Shanghai and Texas projects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnCOW6B1wnI

I am still wondering and don't understand why Panasonic/Tesla are giving up so easily on the Tesla/Panasonic JV at GigaNevada. I know demand is growing from other non-Tesla companis as well as Tesla Austin. But they haven't expanded Nevada in like a year+.

Projected
Current

I have read one theory is that the primary reason is lack of employees as well as various disagreements between Tesla and Panasonic. The plant is only 20-30ish minutes from Reno/Sparks NV. However, the Metro area is only 500k population and they have a challenge in affordable housing.

The point I am making is Kansas needs to evaluate the Nevada project and make sure they don't repeat those mistakes, or we will end up with a much smaller project than the $4b one proposed since they won't be able to find anyone to work there. I can think of several steps to take:

Transit to the plant. Dedicated shuttles for employees at a point in Overland Park & Lawrence. Since it's a big factory, they will be in shifts so easier to schedule.

Affordable housing vouchers and redefined density around De Soto area. Need more apartments and housing options in that area.

Improved educuation/worker pipeline in the surrounding areas.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

joshmv wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:11 pm Last month there were articles talking about Panasonic having two separate, but similar $4 bil projects. Does anybody know more about that and whether it will most likely lead to the second project being built here as well?

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... plant.html
Hopefully the materials/processes that battery plant uses are not significantly hazardous as that could hinder other projects. Battery manufacturing methods appear to be all over the place in terms of hazard risk.

OTOH if this does end up leaning hazardous it may (for better/worse) attract other types of manufacturing that also lean hazardous given this site has a history of it anyway. There will of course be OSHA/EPA requirements to mitigate risk but just the presence of hazardous materials could impact how the rest of the site plays out.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I like the idea of transit services for employees. Setting up a few park & ride facilities throughout the Metro would be great.

However I feel there will just be people looking to relocate closer to the plant form points within the Metro. Eudora, Bonner Springs, and maybe even Tonganoxi going to get very popular. But those places will have affordable housing but I'm sure they will all boom a little because of this.

If anything it is going to fill in the area from I70 to K10 with a lot more housing and such especially along k10. Going to be pretty much a seamless stretch of sprawl I'm sure from 435 West to Lawrence. Good or bad it will happen faster now. Hoping for more good 8)
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

This all gives even more credence to my idea of building a train from KC to Lawrence.

You want more connection to a high profile university? Check. You want to people to the plant? Possible check. Get students into internships downtown? Check
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

From 0.0 to 0.000001!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:43 pm From 0.0 to 0.000001!
That you, GRID?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:03 pm
That you, GRID?
It’s just 4,000 jobs. Average pay. No density. Be realistic
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:13 pm
That you, GRID?
Oh come on, this is huuuge- could be 8000 new jobs in total. Did you not see what Highlander said above? They could end up being the 3rd largest employer in the metro. Realistically it’s one of the biggest new plants in the country. I read about in the Financial Times in London yesterday. So be realistic dummy.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

That you, GRID?
Yeah, that area is doing so well with the, what? 4-8 jobs currently with security and grounds keeping? Definitely should’ve dodged this bullet…
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:52 pm

That you, GRID?
Yeah, that area is doing so well with the, what? 4-8 jobs currently with security and grounds keeping? Definitely should’ve dodged this bullet…
It’s a great project don’t get me wrong but in terms of fixed rail transit it’s Few jobs and no density. This area does not need a rail line lol.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:17 pm

It’s a great project don’t get me wrong but in terms of fixed rail transit it’s Few jobs and no density. This area does not need a rail line lol.
Not now, but could be a ripe corridor in 20 years easily, especially as the development begins to blend into Lawrence.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:20 pm
Not now, but could be a ripe corridor in 20 years easily, especially as the development begins to blend into Lawrence.
Don’t see it happening in a region that doesn’t even have rail to Olathe
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:08 pm
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:20 pm
Don’t see it happening in a region that doesn’t even have rail to Olathe
I would bet any amount money that you’d find alot more desire for rail in Lawrence than any suburbanite city in JoCo. Not even close.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Rail already exists - De Soto is on the Amtrak line between Lawrence and KC...just need a station. There is even an old rail spur that connects the ammunition plant to the Amtrak line at the Kaw. It appears to be in pretty bad shape but the bones are there if the need or desire was there.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kcjak wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:02 am Rail already exists - De Soto is on the Amtrak line between Lawrence and KC...just need a station. There is even an old rail spur that connects the ammunition plant to the Amtrak line at the Kaw. It appears to be in pretty bad shape but the bones are there if the need or desire was there.
Rail to Olathe already exists too. As does rail to Lees Summit and Liberty and South KCMO
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:08 am
kcjak wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:02 am Rail already exists - De Soto is on the Amtrak line between Lawrence and KC...just need a station. There is even an old rail spur that connects the ammunition plant to the Amtrak line at the Kaw. It appears to be in pretty bad shape but the bones are there if the need or desire was there.
Rail to Olathe already exists too. As does rail to Lees Summit and Liberty and South KCMO
But no passenger service exists on those rails… that’s KCjaks point