Panasonic Electric Vehicle Battery Plant (Mystery Kansas 'Mega Project')

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Mystery Kansas 'Mega Project'

Post by dukuboy1 »

sounds like a nice project and one that could have other possible links for new businesses and and manufacturing in the area. Placing something like this in the metro will have a ripple effect for sure into the transportation & logistics community as well as perhaps spark new companies/entrepreneurs coming online to enhance what the plant does or perhaps help it gain additional business lines. Plus it sounds like it would want to use more green energy would again could spark more investment & innovation there to power the plant and make the region that much more attractive. Maybe the plant itself and such is not "a mega project" but taking a step back to look more big picture and the impact it could have & potential it holds is a better approach. KC area has a great reputation for the skill of their autoworkers and their manufacturing laborers in general. Why not tap into that talent more? I hope they do what they can to land this project for the KC Metro. Landing an opportunity like this will drive future opportunities
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if this was the mega project

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... e-82541504
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:32 am Wonder if this was the mega project

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireSto ... e-82541504
Wouldn’t doubt it
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The incentive package (2 billion for a 20 billion project) is nowhere near as much as what KCMO and MO gave Cerner (2 billon for a 4 billion project).

It's crazy that the KC area does not land more of these types of national projects with the types of incentives they have given out to local companies to move around the area.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:58 pm The incentive package (2 billion for a 20 billion project) is nowhere near as much as what KCMO and MO gave Cerner (2 billon for a 4 billion project).

It's crazy that the KC area does not land more of these types of national projects with the types of incentives they have given out to local companies to move around the area.
Unfortunately, governments on both sides of state line waste their political capital and their financial ability to create incentives trying to lure local companies across state line (and in some cases from one suburb to the next). When it's time to step up to the plate to bring in a company from outside the area, the resources and political will are no longer available.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Not sure if that is the same project or not. But a lot of companies that relied on most imports for vital production components are definitely coming back to the US to improve supply chain issues and logistic woes. I assume there will be more of these announced through the year, including the KS one.

I liked this from the article & something to take home

“The state's share will be money well spent because the Intel facility will not only create jobs, but also make Ohio more attractive to industries such as auto, aviation and defense that rely on chips, Mihalik said.

“These investments will not only ensure that this project is successful here, but will also be supporting the region by increasing local infrastructure to support future growth,” Mihalik said.”

This should be the focus, position KC the center of a regional area to benefit and cooperate with for all to succeed
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

dukuboy1 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:55 pm Not sure if that is the same project or not. But a lot of companies that relied on most imports for vital production components are definitely coming back to the US to improve supply chain issues and logistic woes. I assume there will be more of these announced through the year, including the KS one.

I liked this from the article & something to take home

“The state's share will be money well spent because the Intel facility will not only create jobs, but also make Ohio more attractive to industries such as auto, aviation and defense that rely on chips, Mihalik said.

“These investments will not only ensure that this project is successful here, but will also be supporting the region by increasing local infrastructure to support future growth,” Mihalik said.”

This should be the focus, position KC the center of a regional area to benefit and cooperate with for all to succeed
Honestly this shouldn’t be too difficult going forward. There’s definitely a sentiment with companies to bring much more infrastructure for supply chains back on our shores again. Hopefully we’ll be on top of these opportunities between both states to take full advantage
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I agree, we have lots of cheap land to build on (compared to other metros). Decent infrastructure in place in terms of highway, rail, etc. Skilled workforce, reasonable cost of living, central location, lots of positives. Let’s get as many pieces of the pies as we can
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think it's a battery plant. If you are going to address supply chain issues, among them would be creating a predictable source of electric batteries for the Ford and GM plants, which we have. Both GM and Ford have committed to switching over to all-electric vehicles in the next decade. The chip debacle has demonstrated how one essential component can completely shut down assembly lines, and batteries will be as essential as chips.

There will also be a large need for new replacement vehicle batteries for used vehicles as the batteries wear out. I imagine an additional need will be processing spent battery modules.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

When they say bringing a mega-project to Kansas, are they referring to the KC area or somewhere else? I'd assume if they're looking for 4k workers it'd be easier to find them from the KC area since it's the most populated.
SingleMalt12
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SingleMalt12 »

FangKC wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:44 pm I think it's a battery plant. If you are going to address supply chain issues, among them would be creating a predictable source of electric batteries for the Ford and GM plants, which we have. Both GM and Ford have committed to switching over to all-electric vehicles in the next decade. The chip debacle has demonstrated how one essential component can completely shut down assembly lines, and batteries will be as essential as chips.

There will also be a large need for new replacement vehicle batteries for used vehicles as the batteries wear out. I imagine an additional need will be processing spent battery modules.
I suppose it could be a battery plant. On the other hand, Ford recently announced $11 billion in investments in Michigan, Kentucky & Tennessee, mostly for electric vehicles. GM even more recently announced $7 Billion in investments in battery plants & factories in Michigan. As I said, it could be but those are two pretty big announcements.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

SingleMalt12 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:11 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:44 pm I think it's a battery plant. If you are going to address supply chain issues, among them would be creating a predictable source of electric batteries for the Ford and GM plants, which we have. Both GM and Ford have committed to switching over to all-electric vehicles in the next decade. The chip debacle has demonstrated how one essential component can completely shut down assembly lines, and batteries will be as essential as chips.

I suppose it could be a battery plant. On the other hand, Ford recently announced $11 billion in investments in Michigan, Kentucky & Tennessee, mostly for electric vehicles. GM even more recently announced $7 Billion in investments in battery plants & factories in Michigan. As I said, it could be but those are two pretty big announcements.
Look on the previous page, it's likely Stellantis if it's a battery plant.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

The incentive package for this passed the Kansas House 80-41.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I read today that 4 KS House Reps signed an NDA to meet with the “mystery” corporation in this giant package.

All 4 of those Reps were JoCo House Reps, indicating that the project seemingly will be placed in JoCo if it’s won by Kansas.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

The other state in the running is apparently OK, so the project recently announced in Ohio wasn’t this one.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:10 pm The other state in the running is apparently OK, so the project recently announced in Ohio wasn’t this one.
The chase is on as a mystery company considers building a new $4 billion, 3 million square-foot advanced manufacturing warehouse in either Kansas or Tulsa.
https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/new ... -site.html
Wichita Biz Journal says Tulsa or Kansas
CorneliusFB
Pad site
Pad site

Post by CorneliusFB »

If it is JoCo, I hope it’s the Sunflower site. That could make for a great kickstart and a good story to tell.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

CorneliusFB wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:44 pm If it is JoCo, I hope it’s the Sunflower site. That could make for a great kickstart and a good story to tell.
The rumblings have definitely pointed to sunflower
kas1
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kas1 »

If that's the site it's just gonna generate sprawl all the way out to Lawrence.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

kas1 wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:26 pm If that's the site it's just gonna generate sprawl all the way out to Lawrence.
I got a hot take that’s probably gonna piss off most of this board…

…but I’ve been wanting to connect Lawrence into this metro for a really long time. I want that connection, it’s a really fun, popular town. I see Lawrence providing value.

The more we get Lawrence connected, the more graduates will come to KC. Also, we can offer it as a nice little getaway. It’s a cool town. I want a similar dynamic of how Boulder and Denver are connected.