Remote work impact on transit

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Remote work impact on transit

Post by earthling »

^Now that this remote thing is really a thing the Feds need to separately track those working out of one city but living in another as another specific data point as there's not enough detail to determine specific remote worker impact with the data they publish. Is probably the case though that the South truly did benefit from remote work and KC gained some and lost some. Many big cities clearly impacted hard.

NYC is beside itself. My Brooklyn brother says the subways have been uncomfortable to ride at times recently and he's lived there over 20 years. The older locals say the safety factor feels the worst since the 70s. Mostly because 'regular working people' are not riding much due to remote work and the 'crazies' are taking it over. He said it's a little better now but definitely not back to normal. He recently left a platform and walked to another line out of the way given crazies causing issues.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

earthling wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:58 pm ^Now that this remote thing is really a thing the Feds need to separately track those working out of one city but living in another as another specific data point as there's not enough detail to determine specific remote worker impact with the data they publish. Is probably the case though that the South truly did benefit from remote work and KC gained some and lost some. Many big cities clearly impacted hard.

NYC is beside itself. My Brooklyn brother says the subways have been uncomfortable to ride at times recently and he's lived there over 20 years. The older locals say the safety factor feels the worst since the 70s. Mostly because 'regular working people' are not riding much due to remote work and the 'crazies' are taking it over. He said it's a little better now but definitely not back to normal. He recently left a platform and walked to another line out of the way given crazies causing issues.
You could replace "subways" with "buses" and "NYC" with "KC" and the sentence is still applicable. I never felt unsafe riding transit until the pandemic took over and it went fare free. For a long while it seemed that there was almost always someone causing trouble or being disorderly either on the bus or at the stops, making it extremely unappealing to ride. And If there aren't crazies, there are people with extremely objectionable smells, odors, etc.

I'd love to take the bus more, but driving allows me to not get screamed at by some drunk or smell piss for 30 minutes.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^I've mostly been riding RCP corridor since pandemic and haven't seen any difference but I'm not riding as often being out of town more often and spending most of winter in FL and Southeast.

On NYC, Newmark Manhattan Q1/2022 office report shows that the City continues to have negative absorption, likely companies continuing to shrink space due to plans for permanent/hybrid remote work. Would want to see other reports before concluding anything.
https://www.nmrk.com/storage-nmrk/uploa ... Report.pdf
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

SilentSpades24 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:03 am
earthling wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:58 pm My Brooklyn brother says the subways have been uncomfortable to ride at times recently and he's lived there over 20 years. The older locals say the safety factor feels the worst since the 70s. Mostly because 'regular working people' are not riding much due to remote work and the 'crazies' are taking it over. He said it's a little better now but definitely not back to normal. He recently left a platform and walked to another line out of the way given crazies causing issues.
You could replace "subways" with "buses" and "NYC" with "KC" and the sentence is still applicable. I never felt unsafe riding transit until the pandemic took over and it went fare free. For a long while it seemed that there was almost always someone causing trouble or being disorderly either on the bus or at the stops, making it extremely unappealing to ride. And If there aren't crazies, there are people with extremely objectionable smells, odors, etc.

I'd love to take the bus more, but driving allows me to not get screamed at by some drunk or smell piss for 30 minutes.
Worth noting that NYC isn't fare-free.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

Yeah, but I don't know if fare-free transit will entice new people to utilize transit, especially if they feel unsafe doing so.

I hate saying it, but I can't be the only one who used transit heavily per-pandemic but has chosen to not, due to some interesting characters.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I use it more since buses became free.
SilentSpades24
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by SilentSpades24 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:19 pm I use it more since buses became free.
I'm glad to hear that, I hope more people feel the same way. Despite my previous statement, I want transit to succeed, and I would love to use it and for it to be reliable. I also don't want to have someone yelling at me at the bus stop for no apparent reason.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

San Francisco businesses struggle to hang on as tech workers stay home
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/21/san-fra ... iness.html
Bay Area commuters who take public transportation still prefer to stay home. The average daily ridership on Bay Area Rapid Transit plunged from over 400,000 in 2019 to under 80,000 last year. As of May, the number had ticked up to close to 136,000 per weekday, according to BART’s website.
Bay Area and Philly have among lowest office return of large cities. Many major cities still low return according to...
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Many years ago, I was on the shuttle bus from the Boston Logan rental car center to Terminal B (AA to Austin I recall), and a well-dressed, young French dude sat next to me. We started chatting en francais until I picked up a very strong fecal smell from his person/ coat pockets. Guess what he was into. Fortunately, we arrived in the nick of time, and I disappeared into the terminal before Monsieur Coprophilie could follow.

The point of the story is that every time I am in Boston, I try to avoid that shuttle -- totally irrational as this was a once in a million encounter, but it is interesting how these memories influence behavior even years later.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^You coulda been sitting next to him on a long flight!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

herrfrank wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:06 pm Many years ago, I was on the shuttle bus from the Boston Logan rental car center to Terminal B (AA to Austin I recall), and a well-dressed, young French dude sat next to me. We started chatting en francais until I picked up a very strong fecal smell from his person/ coat pockets. Guess what he was into. Fortunately, we arrived in the nick of time, and I disappeared into the terminal before Monsieur Coprophilie could follow.

The point of the story is that every time I am in Boston, I try to avoid that shuttle -- totally irrational as this was a once in a million encounter, but it is interesting how these memories influence behavior even years later.
That man? GRID