New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

New Chiefs Stadium

Post by AlkaliAxel »

See what Virginia is doing to lure the Washington Football Team across state line?

Virginia is prepared to offer a *shitload* of tax dollars to get Washington once the lease is up in 2027. They're proposing a massive complex with retail & entertainment and of course a new stadium in northern Virginia.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/fo ... m-virginia

That's exactly what I expect Kansas to do when Chiefs lease is up and Royals just got funded.

Some points
1. What Virginia doing is bipartisan(!) massive incentive package, so I'm guessing Kansas' bid would be as well
2. How is KCMO/JaxCo gonna afford the Chiefs right after they give out a package for the Royals? We're not THAT rich
3. Virginia is proposing a massive retail & entertainment in a suburban area complex to lure the team, much like here I'm guessing.

I'm not saying it will happen- but you look at what Virginia is doing right now with Maryland and I think it's a model for things to come.

I would watch this very closely to see how it goes with Virginia, because it's basically the exact same circumstances as here. Two states, one border, and one side with incredible rich suburbs and the other side has the big city with the team currently. Much like JoCo and KCMO. The parallels are there so I think this may foreshadow. The one obstacle is that KCMO is gonna be bled dry after having funded the Royals. Not even Maryland has that issue.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by moderne »

The Sunflower Ammo/ Oz site?
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

moderne wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:40 pm The Sunflower Ammo/ Oz site?
And people complain about SKC and the Speedway being in the middle of nowhere :lol:
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I would think they go to the SKC area over in KCK but personally I would love it right in the heart of JoCo.

Here’s the thing- football stadiums are suburban based nowadays. Every new NFL stadium either went to the suburbs or are planning to move to the suburbs soon, with the exception of Vikings (and they admitted it hasn’t worked well). It started with Dallas in 2009.

So if suburbs are the case- why not put our absolute best suburbs on display? We all know it’s JoCo. It just makes complete sense if you’re gonna build a new stadium for it to be in JoCo. They certainly have the wealth and the land.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Best suburbs? It's a bunch of fucking parking lots surrounding a stadium that is used like a dozen times a year.

Put it on the moon for all I care.

I think the chiefs are happy too, from what I hear. Not much desire for a fight.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:33 pm I would think they go to the SKC area over in KCK but personally I would love it right in the heart of JoCo.

Here’s the thing- football stadiums are suburban based nowadays. Every new NFL stadium either went to the suburbs or are planning to move to the suburbs soon, with the exception of Vikings (and they admitted it hasn’t worked well). It started with Dallas in 2009.

So if suburbs are the case- why not put our absolute best suburbs on display? We all know it’s JoCo. It just makes complete sense if you’re gonna build a new stadium for it to be in JoCo. They certainly have the wealth and the land.
Where would this go in JoCo? The only place with space is the edge of the farm fields
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

normalthings wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:49 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:33 pm I would think they go to the SKC area over in KCK but personally I would love it right in the heart of JoCo.

Where would this go in JoCo? The only place with space is the edge of the farm fields
Probably somewhere at the edge off 69 highway down more south where development will form around it super quickly anyway within a few years.

intersection of KS highway 10 and 435 north has an ideal spot too. I think that's how Dallas.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

If the chiefs build a new stadium it will be a dome. Clark Hunt wants a super bowl hosted in KC real bad.

Also, I don’t think they’re moving. They like arrowhead and although they can use KS as a boogyman for leverage, in my opinion the odds are still highest they stay and renovate. However, a new domed stadium (we’re taking a billion dollars or so here) could tip their hand. Ask Indianapolis how that worked out for them though. New domed stadium paid through income and user taxes, and will be old and needing renovation before long despite still a lot of money still owed on it. Kansas would be foolish to try and mortgage the state just to get the chiefs, and after several wild, unrealistic projects STAR bonds have been reigned in somewhat.

https://www.wishtv.com/news/i-team-8/63 ... -revenues/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm If the chiefs build a new stadium it will be a dome. Clark Hunt wants a super bowl hosted in KC real bad.

Also, I don’t think they’re moving. They like arrowhead and although they can use KS as a boogyman for leverage, in my opinion the odds are still highest they stay and renovate. However, a new domed stadium (we’re taking a billion dollars or so here) could tip their hand. Ask Indianapolis how that worked out for them though. New domed stadium paid through income and user taxes, and will be old and needing renovation before long despite still a lot of money still owed on it. Kansas would be foolish to try and mortgage the state just to get the chiefs, and after several wild, unrealistic projects STAR bonds have been reigned in somewhat.

We are going to need a few more 300-800 room hotels to do it well.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

alejandro46 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pm If the chiefs build a new stadium it will be a dome. Clark Hunt wants a super bowl hosted in KC real bad.

1. I just don't know how KCMO/JaxCo is gonna be able to afford another $1 bil after they just funded the Royals
2. Again, I think we need to watch that Virginia/Maryland situation as a forecast. It's a very similar situation in all regards.

Other than that, I agree the next build will be a dome.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

Chiefs straight up have no interest in moving as I've been told. We'll see high speed rail to and from all the various metros near us before Arrowhead is done.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Super Bowls do not belong in cold weather boring midwest cities.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:56 pm Super Bowls do not belong in cold weather boring midwest cities.
Minneapolis had a Superbowl, we have as much right to have it here. NFL won't do it because of weather. If we had an enclosed stadium, we would get one. There's a reason KCMO tried to build a retracting covering between the K and Arrowhead.

KCMO will have another stadium tax extension and it'll fund renovating Arrowhead and a downpayment on a new Kauffman downtown.

Also, go CHIEFS
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

should have put the stadiums in paseo west originally. neighborhood ended up being a complete loss anyways
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

In Dallas you have like a mega complex in Arlington. Rangers, Cowboys, and 6 Flags all in the same complex.

I doubt the Chiefs move but if JOCO and KS are willing to throw a boatload of money at them, I'm sure they will listen. But as mentioned I believe the Chiefs are fine and understand that if/when the Royals move downtown they will look at the advantages of being the sole tenant at TSC rather than crying sour grapes. Plus I think that Clark has an appreciation for tradition and history and really looks at Arrowhead as the legacy of his dad. Just my 2 cents
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Big cost of rebuilding in a new location will be all of the parking and road access.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:56 pm Super Bowls do not belong in cold weather boring midwest cities.
Why do we act like we're Cleveland? I assume you're trolling on the boring part, but I have a beef with this stupid narrative about the weather at that time.

We're not really fully a cold weather city- actually we lean towards the warmer side. As someone who's from the north I hear this horseshit about KC winters all the time and it just irks me. They're not that bad. This is the argument I don't get- it's not even that cold here on February 15th or so. It's just mild like 45-50 give or take. We don't even get that much snow year round. Especially that time of the year. This is all backed by the data.

Especially in the future when Super Bowl is gonna be even later on Feb 20th or 21st every year...I don't see why we couldn't host one. They let NY host on Feb 2nd which is already a colder place than here anyway.

Unless your argument is that RAIN is an issue for an outdoor stadium or that it needs to be tropical then I think this makes no sense. I kinda understood it when Super Bowls were like on Feb 1st and all that, but now that were doing them in mid-to-late February we should be given a shot.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not trolling. Cleveland is a fine city BTW. Super Bowls belong in warm weather fun touristy cities. We aren't that. It's okay.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:37 pm I'm not trolling. Cleveland is a fine city BTW. Super Bowls belong in warm weather fun touristy cities. We aren't that. It's okay.
Well you prob should be trolling because that's a really cold take.

Counterpoint- KC is a fun city, and the only way you get people to realize that is by getting events like the Super Bowl and World Cup to get more people to see that. I don't know anyone who visited KC and came away with "this sucked" since I was in like middle school. It's not 2005 anymore.

And I'll reiterate what Alejandro said- they let Minneapolis host, enough said. They host half the games in downtown Phoenix too where there's nothing exceptional there. It's literally a giant suburb. The only problem with KC hosting is that the stadium is so far from downtown. The enjoyableness of the city itself is absolutely not the problem though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm not saying MPLS super bowl was a good idea. Horrible idea. Fine cities, not super bowl cities. Maybe if SB was in the summer it would be fun to rotate it around to other cities but not February.