Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:04 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:01 pm Delusional
Have you traveled the country? Been to like all the top 100 metro areas? Most of them multiple times? I have. If you think metro KC outside of the core of KCMO is anything special, you really need to get out out more.
Once again I agree with GRID
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:24 pm You can go to suburban Indy or Columbus or Cincy or St Louis etc etc etc and find the exact same thing as JoCo, but because those areas may be more intertwined with other areas, they may not rank as high.
Appreciate the prior condescension, but here’s where you’re wrong:

What you're suggesting is like saying "KCMO downtown has a 45 story tower? Des Moines has a 45 story skyscraper just like the same as KCMO does- see, you can find a downtown like that anywhere, idiot!", when in reality, we have alot more towers and better quality than Des Moines', and most would prefer KC > DM still by a large margin. You can take this same logic for your view on Kansas suburbs.

This is what makes the Kansas suburbs better than most of the country:
1. The large amount of highly ranked suburban towns we have- and not just one really nice town here and there like most suburbs. Sure, you can go to Carmel, IN and find a great town. Sure, you can go to St. Charles, MO and find a great suburban town. Kansas has a massive entire collection of these towns that are highly ranked and not just a few.

You're probably gonna say "I've seen a place like Overland Park before in...Columbus!" Sure, probably did. But we have alot more of it than them. We have tons and tons of it *and* they're all highly ranked.

What makes JoCo different is that it isn't *just one suburban town* it's the entire collection of Olathe, Overland Park, Leawood, Prairie Village, etc and pretty much all of JoCo that's highly ranked. That's a *massive* part of the KC metro that's defined as "highly ranked" and not just "oh well here's one really nice suburban town, the rest are average." They're all above average, not just one section like St. Louis, etc.

2. The *extremely* high ranked schools, affordability, large companies & jobs, recreation are highly ranked are not "average". That's matters more to people than "the appearance is like all suburbs I've ever seen".

If they're average suburbs- why are the schools ranked as among the top in nation? The affordability? The jobs and large companies in JoCo? All of these go in to defining what makes it a "top suburb". I think you're judging a suburb as driving/walking around and seeing that it all appears to look the same everywhere you've gone. I'm sure suburbs more or less do all look the same around the country. But there are more factors like education, prices, job markets, crime etc. that go into making the top suburbs than just noting that the neighborhoods all appear to look the same as other suburbs.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Let's take St Louis as an example.

West County StL County is just like JoCo. If not nicer and better. But St Louis County also includes North County which has many issues and South County is more working class.

StL County is mostly un-incorporated, that means that most people don't live within a city limits and the cities that do exist generally have small areas.

However, the county offers the exact same quality of life, the same stores, the same restaurants, the same office jobs, the same schools etc as JoCo and the comparable areas of StL County is probably actually larger than those same areas in JoCo. Yet those areas won't rank on those silly lists because of how the data is crunched.

It's the same here in the DC area or in northern Indy, western Omaha or any just about any other metro.

So, I will not agree with you, but we can maybe just agree to disagree on this one.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:07 pm Let's take St Louis as an example.

West County StL County is just like JoCo. If not nicer and better. But St Louis County also includes North County which has many issues and South County is more working class.

StL County is almost mostly un-incorporated, that means that most people don't live within a city limits and the cities that do exist generally have small areas.

However, the county offers the exact same quality of life, the same stores, the same restaurants, the same office jobs, the same schools etc as JoCo and the comparable areas of StL County is probably actually larger than those same areas in JoCo. Yet those areas won't rank on those silly lists.

It's the same here in the DC area.

So, I will not agree with you, but we can maybe just agree to disagree on this one.
Well, except it’s schools, etc. aren’t ranked as high as JoCo. And that’s why JoCo is growing a lot more. StL county isn’t connected to the city either, and it’s still ranked less in every category.

That’s like saying Blue Springs is the same as JoCo because they have the same “quality of life” but like you can just tell and feel one is better. That’s just Kansas’s thing that they’re great at. Don’t have to take away from them on that.

Not saying it’s a bad place, but it’s just not ranked as highly. The suburbs that rank most comparably with JoCo are the Texas suburbs.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

West County StL County is just like JoCo. If not nicer and better.
Uhhh, no. It's more like Blue Springs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Again, it's difficult to compare a county school district to the districts in the KC area. The districts around here in the DC area are all county wide and they are huge districts with vastly different schools and neighborhoods within each district. I guarantee you that if StL County had a district running along the 64 corridor, it would be just as highly rated as anything in JoCo. The same can be said once gain for many metro areas across the country.

Johnson County is one of the most over rated places in the country, but compared to the rest of the state of KS it's nice, that's for sure.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:22 pm

West County StL County is just like JoCo. If not nicer and better.
Uhhh, no. It's more like Blue Springs.
Blue Springs is more like Arnold (jefferson County) or South StL County in general. Middle and working class with pockets of affluent areas.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:23 pm Johnson County is one of the most over rated places in the country, but compared to the rest of the state of KS it's nice, that's for sure.
I think you just hate Kansas, and it’s rooted in that
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:32 pm
GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:23 pm Johnson County is one of the most over rated places in the country, but compared to the rest of the state of KS it's nice, that's for sure.
Well there is little to like about it. It's a shitty state with one decent county that does nothing but suck off the tit of KCMO. And that one county is about as bland and average as you can get.

For the record, Missouri sucks too.

I like urban KCMO and urban StL. KS is a joke for the most part and so is MO outside the core cities. You seem to put JoCo on some pedestal and I'm telling you, it's not. Take anybody from any other city to JoCo and they wont think anything of it. Just another suburban area. Some may be annoyed by how flat and baron it is there though. AT least STL County has some topography to it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Tbf DC has unusually nice suburbs.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:43 pm Tbf DC has unusually nice suburbs.
I know. Quite a few actually. In MD and VA.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:44 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:43 pm Tbf DC has unusually nice suburbs.
I know. Quite a few actually. In MD and VA.
And yet Loudon still ranked behind JoCo..lol
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Don't care about your rankings or whatever source you are using. I'm not a fan of Loudon (too far out), but you have access to 1000 times more culture, shopping, recreation etc than JoCo has. Metro Rail is even making its way out there.

There is a reason why they could not get hardly anybody to move from the DC area to the KC area when the department of agriculture moved to KC.

It really is a different world out here. moving to JoCo from Loudon County would not be an improvement other than cost of living.
Last edited by GRID on Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:39 pm
Well there is little to like about it. It's a shitty state with one decent county that does nothing but suck off the tit of KCMO. And that one county is about as bland and average as you can get.

Kansas actually has some great spots out there (that you won’t find anywhere else in the Midwest or east of it) that they just don’t know how to market it well. You’d be surprised, and even I was surprised at places like the Gypsum Hills.

P.S.- I don’t think JoCo gets all its jobs from KCMO. It gets most of its own firms.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:52 pm

Kansas actually has some great spots out there (that you won’t find anywhere else in the Midwest or east of it) that they just don’t know how to market well. You’d be surprised, I was surprised.
I have probably been to more of KS than you. Been to most of the counties.

I think rural Kansas is very pretty. Actually KS is one of the prettier midwestern states. The Flint Hills are nice. Too bad most of KS is private land so they don't have any true destination state or national parks, but it's a pretty state and unique, especially out west and away from the turnpike.

It's way better than NE, or IA or most of IN or IL etc. Doesn't mean the state is also mostly not that great at the same time. JoCo is really the only thing it has. Wichita is okay but nothing like it should be for its size. KCK and Topeka are both a total mess. Lawrence and Manhattan are decent college towns. Nearly the entire state loses people every year. Even with JoCo's growth, the state is losing people now or barely staying the same.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

And Loudon is not stuck in 1989 like JoCo is. Loudon may be an outer county in the DC area, but look at the development they are doing there.

https://www.theburn.com/2020/06/11/loud ... o-ashburn/

AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:00 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:52 pm

Kansas actually has some great spots out there (that you won’t find anywhere else in the Midwest or east of it) that they just don’t know how to market well. You’d be surprised, I was surprised.
I have probably been to more of KS than you. Been to most of the counties.

I think rural Kansas is very pretty. Actually KS is one of the prettier midwestern states. The Flint Hills are nice. Too bad most of KS is private land so they don't have any true destination state or national parks, but it's a pretty state and unique, especially out west and away from the turnpike.

It's way better than NE, or IA or most of IN or IL etc. Doesn't mean the state is also mostly not that great at the same time. JoCo is really the only thing it has. Wichita is okay but nothing like it should be for its size. KCK and Topeka are both a total mess. Lawrence and Manhattan are decent college towns. Nearly the entire state loses people every year. Even with JoCo's growth, the state is losing people now or barely staying the same.
I actually agree the state by land mostly sucks. The great exception are the Gypsum Hills & Monument Rocks (Little Jerusalem Park). You're not finding anything like these places elsewhere in the Midwest or East of Kansas. The problem is they're not well-known and the state doesn't design any real access to them. They really need to, especially Gypsum. That place is special.

I agree Manhattan is average college town, Lawrence is a fantastic one though. Partially because it has close access to KC as well. Agreed that KCK, Topeka, Wichita suck but overall the state has a ton of potential, just needs to stop being managed by bozo's.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:05 pm And Loudon is not stuck in 1989 like JoCo is. Loudon may be an outer county in the DC area, but look at the development they are doing there.
Oh, you mean like the new Aspiria campus in JoCo?
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ental.html

Nothing against the DC suburbs, they are top 10 and right up there along with JoCo. But JoCo isn't "stuck in 1989". They're one of the top burbs in the nation.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

I am no fortune teller.

I am no psychic.

But I have seen nothing that indicates Arrowhead is moving. They are in a wait and see mode on what the Royals will do.

JoCo level of suckiness is an unrelated discussion.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I agree with grid here. Perhaps we can split the thread off, but the problem with joco is it's just very bland. I know there are people that are fine with the houses and schools, but it's not for my taste.

I don't know how you compare that to something like Bethesda. I think if you dropped someone from there into our "top ranked suburb" they'd be pretty confused.