New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:10 pm Arrowhead is an amphitheater. By amphitheater I assume you mean an open air theater such as Starlight but even larger seating capacity? Could the K be recycled for this by removing the upper deck ? Just trying to be a little more carbon neutral.
Arrowhead is a stadium. I'm suggesting a true outdoor performance venue to replace Azura/Sandstone. Basically use the existing baseball field footprint but I wouldn't try to save any of the existing structure.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:59 pm No secret I'm 100% opposed to a move to KS and prefer a huge Arrowhead makeover. WIthout giving away too much, a few big picture aspects:

Remove lower bowl from NW end of stadium.
Install steel structure with a clear span allowing the field surface to move out of the stadium.
Re-install NW seating bowl.
Perm concrete floor under playing surface for quick conversion into non-sports event setup.
Build similar structure on NE side to match NW structure.
No dome, never a dome....... ever.
Instead, build a new exoskeleton around the current stadium with an open air roof system.
New roof system should cover spectator area but not the playing surface.
New roof system allows for a major Audio Visual upgrade with rigging for speakers, LED signage etc.
New roof system allows adding infrared stadium heaters.
Add field level suites.

TSC itself doesn't need to be this year-round complex. The surrounding areas need major improvements but football stadiums are destination islands naturally and I don't think KC should be the ones to try and change this.
Not sure I see your vision for moving the field out of the stadium. Field level is about 40-50 feet below street level. Are you proposing an open trench so it can get sunlight or some kind of cave that would have grow lights?
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:50 pm I'm not sure why I share some of these ideas on here but another one. Instead of trying to build some kind of mixed-use development next to Arrowhead after the K is KO'd, build a top of the line 20,000 seat amphitheater. We need a replacement for Azura that's in a better location, closer to options that make it more possible to enjoy the entire night. This might also spur the surrounding areas to clean up and invest knowing they'll have 30-40 events a year. Share amenities like parking is big.
I like this idea. Sandstone is a mess anyway. They need to improve the parking lot/bathrooms. Plus they somehow ran out of beer during the Turnpike concert
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:29 am
DColeKC wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:59 pm No secret I'm 100% opposed to a move to KS and prefer a huge Arrowhead makeover. WIthout giving away too much, a few big picture aspects:

Remove lower bowl from NW end of stadium.
Install steel structure with a clear span allowing the field surface to move out of the stadium.
Re-install NW seating bowl.
Perm concrete floor under playing surface for quick conversion into non-sports event setup.
Build similar structure on NE side to match NW structure.
No dome, never a dome....... ever.
Instead, build a new exoskeleton around the current stadium with an open air roof system.
New roof system should cover spectator area but not the playing surface.
New roof system allows for a major Audio Visual upgrade with rigging for speakers, LED signage etc.
New roof system allows adding infrared stadium heaters.
Add field level suites.

TSC itself doesn't need to be this year-round complex. The surrounding areas need major improvements but football stadiums are destination islands naturally and I don't think KC should be the ones to try and change this.
Not sure I see your vision for moving the field out of the stadium. Field level is about 40-50 feet below street level. Are you proposing an open trench so it can get sunlight or some kind of cave that would have grow lights?
Def a expensive and out there idea but was thinking a subterranean grow cave. Natural grass is such a big factor these days to player safety and I’d hate to see kc go back to turf.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Cratedigger wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:17 pm
DColeKC wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:50 pm I'm not sure why I share some of these ideas on here but another one. Instead of trying to build some kind of mixed-use development next to Arrowhead after the K is KO'd, build a top of the line 20,000 seat amphitheater. We need a replacement for Azura that's in a better location, closer to options that make it more possible to enjoy the entire night. This might also spur the surrounding areas to clean up and invest knowing they'll have 30-40 events a year. Share amenities like parking is big.
I like this idea. Sandstone is a mess anyway. They need to improve the parking lot/bathrooms. Plus they somehow ran out of beer during the Turnpike concert
People underestimate how much beer red dirt country music fans can drink!

It makes great sense considering Kauffmans field level is already below grade and already a great shape for a amphitheater. Stage near home base, view behind stage is arrowhead. If they really wanted to, they could keep the outfield seating, plaza and fountains. I love the idea of calling it “The K Amphitheater” and of course it would be sponsored so slap that in front.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:12 am It makes great sense considering Kauffmans field level is already below grade and already a great shape for a amphitheater. Stage near home base, view behind stage is arrowhead. If they really wanted to, they could keep the outfield seating, plaza and fountains. I love the idea of calling it “The K Amphitheater” and of course it would be sponsored so slap that in front.
How about a tennis pavilion? Home plate area is center court with lesser courts in the outfield. ::shrug::
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:51 pm Man...seeing SoFi all tonight and then seeing Arrowhead shown in those Chiefs commercials..yuck, sorry what a contrast. Arrowhead just looks so bland after seeing the full blast of SoFi tonight.

We gotta get something better ffs even Buffalo & Nashville are. We are the home of Pat Mahomes and a powerhouse, act like it & take advantage of it.
Remember.. That's just YOUR opinion.

Many others LOVE the testament to the game that Arrowhead is. You can keep your trash sound and light show at SoFi.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:25 pm We're not Lambeau. We're like the Dodger Stadium of the NFL. Pretty historic, but not in the elite level. I know KC thinks they are but they're not. And we could definitely use a new stadium/renovation.
Again, your opinion. Arrowhead is literally the basis of all modern stadium design. Your youth is acting a little ignorant. Try opening a history book and understanding the significance of everything you're critiquing. Arrowhead is the only stadium that wasn't a round, multi-purpose cookie cutter for decades. It set the bar.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

im2kull wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:19 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:25 pm We're not Lambeau. We're like the Dodger Stadium of the NFL. Pretty historic, but not in the elite level. I know KC thinks they are but they're not. And we could definitely use a new stadium/renovation.
Again, your opinion. Arrowhead is literally the basis of all modern stadium design. Your youth is acting a little ignorant. Try opening a history book and understanding the significance of everything you're critiquing. Arrowhead is the only stadium that wasn't a round, multi-purpose cookie cutter for decades. It set the bar.
I know. Read the messages right after that, I was mocking all the people who make fun of KC like this on here every day. People are stupid.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:16 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:12 am It makes great sense considering Kauffmans field level is already below grade and already a great shape for a amphitheater. Stage near home base, view behind stage is arrowhead. If they really wanted to, they could keep the outfield seating, plaza and fountains. I love the idea of calling it “The K Amphitheater” and of course it would be sponsored so slap that in front.
How about a tennis pavilion? Home plate area is center court with lesser courts in the outfield. ::shrug::
Oh, I was trying to think of something that would actually attract people.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:38 pm
I guess I just don't see how we really need it. Wouldn't be better than Starlight and if you're going to do a stadium concert you'd just do it next door in Arrowhead.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Every time I see a game at another stadium, it just makes me miss Arrowhead. Baltimore has a newer stadium and it has nothing on Arrowhead. Same with Philly. Maybe KC could use a new stadium, but I would hate to lose the iconic "bowl" of Arrowhead.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:20 am
I guess I just don't see how we really need it. Wouldn't be better than Starlight and if you're going to do a stadium concert you'd just do it next door in Arrowhead.
Starlight hold 7500 and most big outdoor tours want 14,000 - 20,000.the jump to arrowhead is massive and only 1 or 2 tours each summer can even sell the required tickets to make a stadium show work. We need a direct replacement for sandstone.
Last edited by DColeKC on Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:36 am Every time I see a game at another stadium, it just makes me miss Arrowhead. Baltimore has a newer stadium and it has nothing on Arrowhead. Same with Philly. Maybe KC could use a new stadium, but I would hate to lose the iconic "bowl" of Arrowhead.
All I thought about yesterday while sitting in State Farm Stadium was while a fine facility, it would be a epic disgrace to ever see the Chiefs home stadium look or feel anything like that. It just lacks even a ounce of character.

After rubbing elbows with some folks affiliated with the team yesterday, I’m even more convinced a arrowhead renovation is in the works.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:01 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:36 am Every time I see a game at another stadium, it just makes me miss Arrowhead. Baltimore has a newer stadium and it has nothing on Arrowhead. Same with Philly. Maybe KC could use a new stadium, but I would hate to lose the iconic "bowl" of Arrowhead.
All I thought about yesterday while sitting in State Farm Stadium was while a fine facility, it would be a epic disgrace to ever see the Chiefs home stadium look or feel anything like that. It just lacks even a ounce of character.

After rubbing elbows with some folks affiliated with the team yesterday, I’m even more convinced a arrowhead renovation is in the works.
I think you've sold me on the renovation because it'll save us money which can allow us to do more cool stuff like with the architecture.

I will say, I think at this point if we're gonna build an all new stadium I want it either downtown or at Village West. I just can't get myself to get excited about building a new stadium at that shithole. But I'm good with a renovation if it means greatness!
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Along with the rolling roof, the original plan for the sports complex had a "space needle." Maybe that could be revisited. KC no longer has any high altitude restaurants, revolving or stationary.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

moderne wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:09 pm Along with the rolling roof, the original plan for the sports complex had a "space needle." Maybe that could be revisited. KC no longer has any high altitude restaurants, revolving or stationary.
They're building one on the 12th floor of City Harvest with an awesome view
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

AlkaliAxel wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:44 pm
moderne wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:09 pm Along with the rolling roof, the original plan for the sports complex had a "space needle." Maybe that could be revisited. KC no longer has any high altitude restaurants, revolving or stationary.
They're building one on the 12th floor of City Harvest with an awesome view
Did City Harvest even file plans yet
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:57 pm
Starlight hold 7500 and most big outdoor tours want 14,000 - 20,000.the jump to arrowhead is massive and only 1 or 2 tours each summer can even sell the required tickets to make a stadium show work. We need a direct replacement for sandstone.
Sandstone has been a dump forever, with the worst location of all time. Luckily it's privately owned, and its so crappy that no taxpayer dollars should ever be headed that way to change it. A new venue, privately funded, will happen if the market dictates it. The city doesn't need to pay for and operate any more venues.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

im2kull wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:25 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:57 pm
Sandstone has been a dump forever, with the worst location of all time. Luckily it's privately owned, and its so crappy that no taxpayer dollars should ever be headed that way to change it. A new venue, privately funded, will happen if the market dictates it. The city doesn't need to pay for and operate any more venues.
Doesn’t KCK/Wyandotte County own it?