New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Jon Stephens brings up the question whether its worth it for Missouri or city to shell out $2 bil to keep a team that plays 8 times a year at home.
"Those certainly are powerful dollars," Stephens said, "and I think that puts pressure on Missouri to look thoughtfully and competitively at the value that the Chiefs bring to being on the Missouri side, and how much of that value they're willing to reinvest in not only retaining the Chiefs, but I think it's going to take a significant amount of money to build the future Arrowhead."
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

If Johnson County Shawnee by 435 or Olathe.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Good. That’s a much better spot if you’re gonna do Kansas.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

I know we speculate a lot on here but Kansas isn’t on the table in my opinion. Sure they’ll throw it out there to get some Missouri state funding but it will be a bluff.

No one seems to understand Clark Hunt is all about tradition. He’s not going to do something that’ll make his dad roll over in his grave. Clark is one of the last owners who value history and transition over money.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:17 am I know we speculate a lot on here but Kansas isn’t on the table in my opinion. Sure they’ll throw it out there to get some Missouri state funding but it will be a bluff.

No one seems to understand Clark Hunt is all about tradition. He’s not going to do something that’ll make his dad roll over in his grave. Clark is one of the last owners who value history and transition over money.
Not what I'm hearing! I've heard from a few people that Kansas will make a strong push once negotiations begin with Jackson County. I'd say it will come down to how much the State of Missouri is willing to contribute to still be a professional football state and not have the tag of losing two NFL teams and also how much Clark wants to play hardball for maximum funding. I've also wondered about the name 'Arrowhead'. I don't know who owns the rights to the name. If Jackson County owns it, that might have some sway to stay in the county. Of course, the Chiefs might at some point consider a name change due to cultural sensitivities and dump the Native American symbolism altogether.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:06 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:17 am I know we speculate a lot on here but Kansas isn’t on the table in my opinion. Sure they’ll throw it out there to get some Missouri state funding but it will be a bluff.

Not what I'm hearing! I've heard from a few people that Kansas will make a strong push once negotiations begin with Jackson County. I'd say it will come down to how much the State of Missouri is willing to contribute to still be a professional football state and not have the tag of losing two NFL teams and also how much Clark wants to play hardball for maximum funding. I've also wondered about the name 'Arrowhead'. I don't know who owns the rights to the name. If Jackson County owns it, that might have some sway to stay in the county. Of course, the Chiefs might at some point consider a name change due to cultural sensitivities and dump the Native American symbolism altogether.
Sure Kansas will try, I’m saying I think Clark taking them up on the offer is a long shot. Missouri will step up without the threat of Kansas taking them.

We are also not factoring in the fans. Very heavy on pro-Missouri from the fanbase and we are now pulling a ton of fans from STL Missouri as they take pride in the Missouri nfl team. A move to Kansas risks that and gains you nothing.

Arrowhead name is owned by the Chiefs. No consideration of changing the name or symbolism. I know that one for a fact. They’re highly proactive within the Native American community to stay ahead of this.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I guess my other question here what exactly do the Chiefs own currently land wise. I know the TSC is owned by the County, so the stadium and parking lots. Do the Chiefs own the land where their HQ sits, along with the practice facilities? I ask this because if they were to move to KS what happens to those other properties? Do they sell them to the County or on the free market? I just do not think how Jackson County, or the State of MO would be willing to walk away from all that land and basically have nothing in that area with zero plans to develop it, let alone the surrounding areas. The Leeds industrial area and basically around the place is old abandoned industrial and minimal neighborhoods. What is there, especially to the immediate North, South, and West is a bit of a moonscape. I do not foresee any kind of meaningful chance to develop the area if the CHiefs were to leave. Honestly development in those areas with the Chiefs and a new stadium and development ideas for TSC with just the Chiefs as the single tenant most likely will not move the needle. Unless KS decided to mortgage their future and just give the Chiefs whatever they want regardless of sound policy, is the only way KS gets the Chiefs. People talk about the Legends West and surrounding area. That does make sense but they also have their own issues right now. They got burned badly on the CErner deal with the offices out there. American Royal complex, Schilterbohn, etc. are all examples of things not working and vast tracks of land sitting open and not developed. Each cases is unique and I get that. I'm just mentioning it as it seems everyone thinks that is the magic bullet out there and it is nice but it has warts just like TSC.

I personally see the Chiefs must more interested in being the single tenant within the TSC and knowing they would have carte blanche there and the surrounding areas if they want.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

While the tradition argument is very likely true, it won't stop a smart businessman from pitting two desperate governments against each other in yet another embarrassing episode of The Border War -- even if the outcome is known.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:33 am While the tradition argument is very likely true, it won't stop a smart businessman from pitting two desperate governments against each other in yet another embarrassing episode of The Border War -- even if the outcome is known.
True but I honestly see Missouri stepping up to put Kansas off the page. A state rep or the governor should know this would be a popular topic to push. 'I won't let Kansas take our NFL team on my watch' ... etc etc
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

$500m from the state of Missouri would align with TN. Would be good to legalize betting to help cover costs.
Sources of funding for the new stadium
Football-Related Sources: Titans, NFL (subject to final NFL approval), and PSL sales;
State: a one-time contribution contingent on the building of a new, enclosed stadium;
Hospitality: Tourists and visitors through a new 1% hotel/motel tax contingent on the building of a new, enclosed stadium; and
Stadium/ Campus: Sales and use taxes collected at the stadium and on its campus.

$840 million for the new stadium and any construction overruns will come from the Titans, NFL, and PSL sales. $500 million will come from the one-time state contribution. The remaining $760 million will come from revenue bonds issued by the Metro Sports Authority to be repaid through the revenue streams described above, all of which, per state statute, can only be used for this project or other stadium-related costs.

https://www.nashville.gov/departments/m ... .%E2%80%9D
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

As much as there is angst about "no taxpayer dollars for stadiums!" these days, 100% I believe Missouri could shell out the Chiefs and nobody is gonna mind. Chiefs are extremely popular right now. Which is exactly why they need to do move on this...now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:55 pm True but I honestly see Missouri stepping up to put Kansas off the page. A state rep or the governor should know this would be a popular topic to push. 'I won't let Kansas take our NFL team on my watch' ... etc etc
I don't know. Missouri legislature just seems real pathetic tbh. Fighting to keep control of a local police department, transgender sports is some major issue that needs a special session, shitty roads and upkeep. Just the worst of political incompetence.

And, if we build an amazing stadium and don't get a Super Bowl as part of it, the whole thing is pointless. Spend the money but only if it brings in at least some of the money spent and greatly sells the city and region to other parts of the country.
FlippantCitizen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by FlippantCitizen »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:33 am While the tradition argument is very likely true, it won't stop a smart businessman from pitting two desperate governments against each other in yet another embarrassing episode of The Border War -- even if the outcome is known.
indeed
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

PSL's will be a bigger complaint than County or State subsidy.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:16 pm PSL's will be a bigger complaint than County or State subsidy.
PSL’s are basically a requirement these days when building a new stadium. I’m sure some people will be pissed but what you going to do about it! The nfl does what it wants.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:33 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:55 pm True but I honestly see Missouri stepping up to put Kansas off the page. A state rep or the governor should know this would be a popular topic to push. 'I won't let Kansas take our NFL team on my watch' ... etc etc
I don't know. Missouri legislature just seems real pathetic tbh. Fighting to keep control of a local police department, transgender sports is some major issue that needs a special session, shitty roads and upkeep. Just the worst of political incompetence.

And, if we build an amazing stadium and don't get a Super Bowl as part of it, the whole thing is pointless. Spend the money but only if it brings in at least some of the money spent and greatly sells the city and region to other parts of the country.
I don’t think getting a Super Bowl should be part of the goal of a new stadium or renovation. Would be a great bonus but not a requirement.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:26 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:16 pm PSL's will be a bigger complaint than County or State subsidy.
PSL’s are basically a requirement these days when building a new stadium. I’m sure some people will be pissed but what you going to do about it! The nfl does what it wants.
I’m very familiar. It will be the biggest upset in the entire process.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Getting a Super Bowl doesn't really excite me if it's just gonna be at TSC or the Legends. If it's near downtown then that is exciting.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:28 pm
I don’t think getting a Super Bowl should be part of the goal of a new stadium or renovation. Would be a great bonus but not a requirement.
This isn't the messaging in Nashville. They are building their stadium to attract the Super Bowl. We have the history with Lamar Hunt and will have shown that we can step up to big events (World Series, ASG, World Cup, NFL Draft). It should be messaged before hand that we would have a good shot, at least, at a Super Bowl. They did this the last time we updated the stadium and it should be a necessity.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

We can definitely host a Super Bowl. Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is a dumbass.

The real tragedy is that when you're just showcasing the TSC parking lot. Or maybe the Legends parking lot and fields. How does help shape KC? This is the area where we need to think alot bigger.